Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Anybody have a lift?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
dlm3

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Tonga GreenLR3

I wouldn't go that far. They're different, but their drivers aren't. Land Rover enthusiasts are a clever lot and will figure out in time how to make them work the way they want.

That said, it does look a bit more difficult to do on the D3 - reverse-engineering the suspension software will be quite a trick, but someone will do it. Once that happens, heavily customized D3s will appear. It's just a matter of time.

(if you want an example of what the old D1 could have done to it, look at the East Coast Rover web site and check out their "Disco-Tech" project - they swapped the Rover V8 for a TD5 diesel, lifted it, swapped the tyres and wheels, added fender flares, installed a serious winch bumper, and gave it a complete respray. They never sold them, but it looked like a pretty serious off-road machine.)

Post #11009415th Dec 2006 4:32 am
LeighW
D3 Decade 

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

You are right Simon, as long as the lift is kept to probably no more than 50 mm you won't notice a dramatic life reduction for the CVs. But they are under more stress and could fail prematurely as a result of the increased angles.

My experience with LR products was 60s-80s Land Rovers (4s and 6s) then nothing until I bought the D3/LR3 in January of 2006. The changes are dramatic but the robustness is still evident. After your comments, dlm3, about the DII having ACE as an option I thought I had better learn more about it and read a description of it (here.)

Whilst browsing, I discovered that Wabco indeed made components for earlier models so there could have been some info sharing.

But I believe you are right in saying that the D3 doesn't need much improvement in suspension except possibly for the tyres (Which are really just a compromise that the manufacturer was able to satisfy the majority of users with.)

Leigh
 LeighW

The old girl is on her third engine...
* first ran a bearing (design failure in original engine)
* second had a failure of the water outlet on top of the engine (pls check yours) 

Post #11009515th Dec 2006 5:01 am
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

Check this thread http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic7383.html?highlight=

AndrewS wrote:
nwoods wrote:
I'd like to know how the machine was being driven when it broke. What caused it? Was it aviodable in retrospect? is it likely to happen again in the same circumstances? etc...

I'd also like to see photos of the breakage.

On a special stage. Trying to climb a slight incline through very deep cross ruts. It failed the first attempt. The D3 had gone into 'super extended mode'. I reversed back about 2m checked all the settings were correct. At this point the O/S wheel was in a big hole and I had no choice but to turn hard left. So ready for the second try and applied a little power, BANG the CV joint failed. The car never actually moved.

So fully extended on full 'ish' lock the joint failed.

The Matzker D3 in super extended mode had to winch the last part of a special stage as it was unable to continue under its own steam due to lack of traction. I was the next vehicle through and completed the stage no problem. Oh and my 2 sons completed the stage in 110s just before the Matzker D3

The Matzker D3 did not drive the section where I broke my CV joint.

I am not trying to belittle the Matzker system I'm sure it has its merits I'm just not convinced that the D3 can handle running in super extended mode for long periods of time. Maybe up-rated CV joints are the way forward.

When the D3 realises it requires extra height to clear obstacles it automatically goes into Super Extended and will stay there until you lower it.

Post #11010815th Dec 2006 8:49 am
dflo

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Great shot Andrew... Thumbs Up

BTW, my Mum asked if she could have the wheels off her Micra back now you're back from Morocco? - Wink
 "Funny, mine doesn't do that......."  
Post #11011015th Dec 2006 8:55 am
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

dlm3 wrote:
- reverse-engineering the suspension software will be quite a trick, but someone will do it.
Matzker already have

AndrewS wrote:
I'm just not convinced that the D3 can handle running in super extended mode for long periods of time
Which probably explains the 'reset height when clear of obstacle' messages. Extended mode and then the extra height you can get manually once in extended mode are designed to help get you out of trouble not for extended running The End  
Post #11012215th Dec 2006 9:35 am
nwoods

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol Base 5 Seat Auto Chawton WhiteLR3

I spent a lot of time, effort and fair amount of energy into lift options for the LR3/Disco 3. I have a coil sprung LR3, so a lift was far more necessary, as the stock coil version is MUCH lower than than you air boys.

I agonized quite a bit about the CV angles, steering column, drive line backlash, etc...but ultimately, I figured that if I stayed below super extended mode angles, I would be fine. I currently have a 65mm lift from stock, which means I'm still about 30mm LOWER than Super Extended mode. (or thereabouts, math not my strong point, and I think in inches).

Here are my findings: http://blog.nextstepdesigns.com/?p=38

I'm going out tomorrow on a really difficult trail called Nightmare Gulch, should be interesting.

My excursions in Moab, Utah have indicated a couple of major points:
1. standard air suspension with it's cross linked ability is AMAZING, because it pushes the opposite wheel down waaayyy far. Over 14" based on my tape measure. That is a tremendous amount of articulation. Which as was pointed out, allows your wheels to stay in contact with the ground and provide highly useful motive power.

2. If you off road, the rear locking diff is worth it's weight in gold, and may just about costs that much to retrofit, and no one has figured out how to do it.

Here is an example of articulation:

And another:
Click image to enlarge

Compared to my coil sprung version with about 4" of articulation
(same spot on the same trail)
Click image to enlarge

Post #11040316th Dec 2006 1:50 am
disco4x4au

Australia 

Quote:

When the D3 realises it requires extra height to clear obstacles it automatically goes into Super Extended and will stay there until you lower it.

This is interesting - I've been complaining that my D3 _won't_ stay in extended mode. Because it used to, prior tp the vehicle enhancement. Now LR (Aus) have told me it's not supposed to??

As to driving in extended mode - like I said, sometimes you really need to. Articulation is nothing, if you don't have the clearance. And the D3's long wheelbase means you need a fair amount of the latter to keep up with other 4WDs. I've been looking at ways to engineer a lift on mine.

Cheers,

Gordon[/quote]
 ex - 2006 D3 TDV6 SE, silver, with lots of stuff - R.I.P.
ex - 2009 D3 TDV6 SE, silver, had lots of stuff too!
Now - 2010 RRS 3.0 TDV6, rimini red, 18" rims + Cooper LTZ, rear eLocker, Spider tuning box, GOE protection plates and rock sliders, GOE 3way shortened rods. 

Post #11067117th Dec 2006 11:00 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >