Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > For Sale & Wanted [Archive]

FOR SALE: BAS Remap Box/fault code reader-NOW SOLD
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
pagoda

Canada 2016 LR4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteLR4
FOR SALE: BAS Remap Box/fault code reader-NOW SOLD

For sale is my BAS Remap box, which also allows you to read and clear fault codes. The remap is provided by Pete Bell at BAS and he will do a custom map for your vehicle for £150+VAT. I'm selling the box because I've now sold my car and am asking £260 posted via recorded delivery and properly packaged. For this you get the remap box, the cable that joins it to the car's computer port (just above the pedals on the drivers side), and the USB cable to link it to your computer.

The power difference with the remap is incredible (I think it's something like 45 bhp) and the response is far improved, removing the acceleration lag. The ability to read and clear fault codes has come in especially handy of late,

Pete's customer service is absolutely first class. He offered me alternatives between performance and economy when doing the remap. I saw at least a 10% improvement in fuel economy, as have many others on the site.

PM me with any questions.

Thanks.
 PAGODA 

Last edited by pagoda on 17th May 2012 2:51 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #93068511th May 2012 8:17 pm
dimitri

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

What sort of differences are there between the BAS map and this item? THis one is a much cheaper map to me so I wonder which is better or what is different.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Diesel-chip-tuni...978wt_1396

Post #93078512th May 2012 10:18 am
B16 KJR

Scotland 

The one on ebay is only a device that fools the engine ECU to boost the injector pressures Shocked This is completely different to what you get with a custom remap Thumbs Up

Post #93078712th May 2012 10:21 am
mrszymon

2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I am currently waiting a reply from BAS and BBS as to whether in future the FCR with Genesis will be capable of performing remote remapping. If it is then I'll wait for that; if not, I'll buy this from you (if someone else doesn't buy it first). (Either way I expect to pay for the map itself but it seems redundant buying dedicated hardware when I already have some which I think should be able to do the job).

Post #93081312th May 2012 12:17 pm
pagoda

Yes, as B16 says, I think they're two totally different products. The remap seems to alter many parameters rather than simply make the car go faster. It made mine more economical by at least 10% (using brim to brim measurements rather than the 'computer') and gear changes were far more responsive, particularly when accelerating from a standstill. The combination of this product as a fault code reader and Pete's website (which tells you what the codes are) is excellent when dealing with moronic dealers (like my local one).

mrszymon - PM sent.

Cheers.
 PAGODA  
Post #93088712th May 2012 6:18 pm
chalky

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Pagoda
How do you read the codes ?

I take it that you have to plug in your laptop ? i was going to buya FCR and also want a re-map for the reasons that you state, improved drive from standing, gear change and maybe a bit of economy?
 Only dead fish go with the Flow !  
Post #93096712th May 2012 9:41 pm
pagoda

Chalky,

When you plug the box into the OBD port on the car (under the steering wheel), you have a few options. You can read (copy) the existing map (which you would need to do to send to Pete); you can upload a new map (which Pete will send you) or you can either read and or clear fault codes. (There may be a few other options, but that's the nub of it). When you read/clear fault codes, the box simply lists on its screen the fault codes that are listed in the cars computer. You can then clear them if you wish. No lap top needed for any of this. You can do it all by the road side/top of a mountain. You only need a computer at the start of the whole business. First, you download the BAS programme from Pete's website onto your PC. You then take the box, plug it into the OBD port on the car and read the map. You then plug the box into your PC and open Pete's programme. It allows you to extract the map and email it to him. He then sets up a new map in accordance with your wishes (fuel econ vs performance, etc) and emails it back. You then upload that onto the map box, disconnect from your pc and that's the end of it. The map is then in the box for ever and you can upload it as many times as you like to your car. The original map (and any other's you've asked Pete for) also remain in the box. Pete's service is outstanding. I had my new map on my car within about an hour of sending him my original map. It's all done on email.

I've found the fault code read/clear function hugely useful when the car basically conked out of late. I read the codes (fuel related), cleared them, car started fine and got home fine without a recurrence since. Without the box I'd have been stuck.

Finally, the BAS map system is great because you can remove it when the car goes into the dealer and then put it on again when the car comes back. So no one else ever need know you have one. Remove/replace takes less than 5 mins.

Hope that helps/makes sense.
 PAGODA  
Post #93097512th May 2012 10:28 pm
chalky

Yes thats a great help, makes perfect sense, i just didnt know that there was a box "Of Tricks" for want of a better word, i thought that you received an email plugged in lap top and uploaded it ?
just a couple more queries off the top of my head ?

Does the box need to remain plugged in to the OBDII port for the Map to work ? I guess not

Also what happens IF the map on said "Box Of Tricks" does disapear ? i know you said it remains on there for ever to download as many times as you like but i could complicate the construction of a balloon pump !

Does the box of tricks have a screen on it ?

Thanks in advance ?
Post #93097712th May 2012 10:47 pm
pagoda

Chalky,

No, it doesn't need to stay connected. It just acts as a means of putting a different programme into the cars 'computer' (getting thin on tech knowledge at this point; someone will come along with the correct terms, I am sure). I can't really see how the map could 'disappear' from the map box as it becomes part of its firmware, so it's sort of stuck in there (this is the technical term). If you did have a problem and it became corrupt, I'm pretty certain Pete would help you out. He's been brilliant with me. And yes, it has a digital screen that's about couple of inches square and a few buttons. Fault codes are read off the screen.

Cheers.
 PAGODA  
Post #93102113th May 2012 8:13 am
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

You must have access to a Windows PC running XP.

You can, and should save the original map & the modified map on that PC.

It's a great product - thanks Pete.

NJSS
 Am I Gammon or Woke ? - I neither know nor care.

2016 Discovery 4 Landmark
2011 Mercedes Benz SL350 (R230)
1973 MG B GT V8 - 3.9L John Eales engine, 5 speed R380 gearbox, since 1975.
1959 MGA roadster - 1.9L Peter Burgess Engine - 5 speed gearbox
Past LRs - Multiple FFRs, Discos & a Series I - some petrol, some diesel,
none Electric or H2 fuel cell - yet.
There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don’t. 

Post #93103513th May 2012 9:10 am
chalky

That's the thing, I only have Mac, if I buy this I'm also going to need a Lap top to power it all ?

I am definately interested and now understand what people were on about when they used to say that they were removing their map as it was going in for a service ? Then add it back on when it was done, there's no doubt in mind that the Product is excellent as its one of Petes and his expertise on this forum is second to none,

I will look into getting hold of a windows based cheap lap top and revert,
Post #93108513th May 2012 11:15 am
pagoda

To be clear, the pc Is only needed once, at the beginning of the process, to down load the programme that allows you to send the map to Pete and receive it then load it onto the box. So a mate with a pc would be fine.

Also, whilst you will need a pc for the initial bit, you aren't constrained to xp. I run mine on a pc running 64 bit Vista and it works perfectly.

Thumbs Up
 PAGODA  
Post #93109513th May 2012 12:05 pm
chalky

BAS Box "Of Tricks"

Hi,

Do you still have the Box ?

Let me know

Thanks

Keiron.