Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

New kit for my D3...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Gurvan

Location: Germany... Not far from both the US and Hard German rock...

France 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
New kit for my D3...

Hello everybody...

I went to a charity event this week-end. In exchange for a small fee toward a donation for research on certain rare diseases, we got to drive in a field that had been "enhanced" for off-roading fun... Wink

The only problem was that I got stuck once ! And that, due to the fact that the mud was quite sticky and the washing station quite closed, I had to drive home with a lot of vibrations in the steering above 60Km/H.

This morning, enjoying some holiday, I went to a station equipped with some high pressure washing machine and thus was able to remove probably over 10kg of mud from the suspension... Embarassed
I also realized that at 40.000km my Pirelli P Zero are quite worn out...
Finally, I also realized that I had destroyed the two fixed mud-flaps on the right hand side...

Thus, it will be time to spend some money...

As far as the mud is concerned, and keeping in mind that I want to go to Iceland one of those days, I was wondering about buying a full length underbody shield. But cleaning all that mud made me wonder... Thus first question : what is your thought about those full length underbody shields ? Is mud the reason why Mantec and LR went for something that goes ONLY to the front wheel suspension ??

As far as the tires are concerned, I guess that I will switch to Goodyears MTR. Any cons ? I know the Pros and I have done my homework researching the MTR on this website. I know that I should expect some added road noise but that does not seem like too much to expect...

Now, coming to the mud-flaps, did someone made a "custom made" mud-flap for his vehicle ? I was thinking of something made in soft rubber but fixed on the normal mud-flaps installation...

While waiting for your comments, I'll give you some pictures to ponder... Wink

All this has been done in "slicks"... Wink
 Georgia On My Mind...  
Post #10901011th Dec 2006 2:34 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

Take a look here chap

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic4001.html?highlight=mud+flaps

Post #10901411th Dec 2006 3:14 pm
Gurvan

Thanks...

I will try to go down that road too for the mudflaps... Wink

After still doing more and more research about the Goodyear MTRs, I am still indecisive... Everybody says that I will get more noise. I can probably live with that.
But where I am not clear is how they handle highways and normal road and city conditions. After all this is what I do most !

As far as keeping a second set of wheels for off-roading is concerned, that is a no-no for me due to lack of space... Sad
 Georgia On My Mind...  
Post #10970413th Dec 2006 7:19 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I thought the same about MT/R's - I now leave them on all the time, handling is just as good as the Pirelli's with no unpleasant suprises on corners (except for the volvo coming the other way Whistle ) There is a slight degredation in performance in the wet, but it is slight and you probably wouldn't notice unless you're 'making good progress' Tyre wear doesn't seem excessive either...

Post #10971613th Dec 2006 8:20 pm
Gurvan

Thanks for that information 10FC...

My wife is a bit stressed at the idea of such tires, but she'll come around I guess/hope... After all, SWMBO, drives it too ! Wink
 Georgia On My Mind...  
Post #10972513th Dec 2006 8:49 pm
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

I have a set of 19" road wheels/tyres and a set of 19" off road wheels with MTR's on. The intention was to swap to the road wheels/tyres when not off roading. But the MTR's are quite acceptable on road and do a lot more miles than the standard road tyre. I have at times pushed the car and the tyres have never let me down.

Post #10974713th Dec 2006 9:42 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 

The MTR's do rumble a bit though and I reckon MPG may be a shade down.
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #10978513th Dec 2006 10:46 pm
simon_arch1

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I ran MTRs as the daily tyre on my Discovery2, and had Simex JT2s for off-roading. They take a little bit of getting used to, but the MTR is a great tyre - behaves pretty well on road, and is a great off-road (though not extreme) tyre off-road.

All the best,

Simon
 D3 - Buckingham Blue, SE, TDV6, 06 model; chipped; underbody armour; Mickey Thompson ATZ 275/65-18 AND MAXXIS Bighorn muddies; rear wheel carrier from 4x4intelligence.com; iPOD aux connection! GME 3200 UHF - aerial mounted on wheel carrier Smile; LR roof rails/cross bars; Autosafe cargo barrier, Safari Snorkel; Traxide - aux battery; ARB bull bar with Tigerz11 winch; Lightforce 240 XGT driving lights (mitchell bros tow hitch to come)  
Post #10979013th Dec 2006 11:05 pm
Gurvan

Thanks guys !

All your indications seem to be more optimistic than the ones I get from French fora...

Now, I wonder why ! Confused Wink
 Georgia On My Mind...  
Post #10983814th Dec 2006 9:42 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >