DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

can someone give me some advice please
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
MikeS2005

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
done the cleaning

Hi Disco Mikey

I have cleaned and unsiezed the hand brake shoes I had it all stripped down today and boy did it need it
I thouroughly gave it a good cleaning and greasing and used Bodsys bible, I built everything back up put the wheels back on dropped it off the jacks started the car and applied the handbrake only for it to screech its head off again.
I take it this means that the actuater is knackered, I am getting the lights and message telling me there is a fault but it goes away when you switch off and on again then if you apply the EPB the screeching starts and the lights and message display logs the fault.
cheers

Post #91027515th Mar 2012 11:20 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
westderbysi

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 S Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

have you set the brakes up ie using the torque wrench then back the selector off 8 clicks on both sides and loosened the alan key tapped the drums etc if you dont do the above the actuator will screech

Post #91027715th Mar 2012 11:26 pm
MikeS2005

done that

Hi Wester
Yes I followed the guide to the letter 60nm then back 8 clicks followed by the wack of the hammer and tighten the allen key
cheers

Post #91028915th Mar 2012 11:45 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
westderbysi

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 S Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

you possibly need one of these

http://www.shukersparts.co.uk/discovery-al...19223.html

by the sounds of things but first check that both sides lock up in case you have just got a broken cable there about 60 quid so worth a look but you would prob notice that when doing the shoes just trying to think of things to check before you pay out for a module

Post #91029515th Mar 2012 11:52 pm
CDS
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

If you an turn off the 'auto on' facility in the CCF on a manual D3, can you turn on the 'auto off' when you drive away feature on a manual. IE make the EPB on a manual D3 behave just like an EPB on an auto box D3??

Sorry for the slightly Off Topic post

Discovery 3/4 & RRS keys cut and programmed at your home or work
Apple CarPlay/ Android Auto retro fit - see it here
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blanking
Software updates/ enabling
Mobile Servicing & Repairs

Post #91030016th Mar 2012 12:06 am
MikeS2005

update on EPB

Hi
Yes actuator module is Censored funny thing is you can hear the motor whirring round now but its not pulling anything . I guess it was time for it to go but LR have now got an upgraded part so im told and I managed to get one at a decent price after three days of searching
Now just to wait on it arriving and probably a whole days work or if any one can give me any tips on doing it quicker that would be great
cheers

Post #91068416th Mar 2012 9:48 pm
MikeS2005

update on the EPB

Hi All
Ive now got the EPB matter fixed and have discovered a few interesting things while removing and replacing it so if this helps someone great because I was tearing my bloody hear out by the time I did this.
This will take the best part of 1 to 2 days to complete as the EPB is obviously put on at the factory with no body on the car.
First thing
The EPB unit is made by a company called KLUSTER
All rear wheels,calipers and discs have to be removed (see Body's brake bible)
and you will have to replace the rear shoes if the handbrake shoe arms are siezed as it will have unevenly worn them down.
The EPB is held onto a steel plate withtwo nuts and one bolt all 10 mm now there are also four small bolts that supposodly have 10mm heads on them but I found they were slightly smaller and round of very easily and they will be rusted in these have to be removed to get the EPB to come out, now the fun part there is two 10mm bolts on either side that hold the hand brake cables onto the chassis they are a complete pain in the backside and are really diffucult to get out.
Mine were rusted solid and I had to end up cutting them out
So after a while I eventually succeeded with a another helping pair of hands as the cables have to be in the most awkward routing I have ever seen.
You will also have to remove the emergency release cable aswell which requires you to remove a heat shield then you turn it 180deg and pull it will then release from the body of the vehicle.

After I had done all the above I discovered that the EPB should make no noise at all when putting on or off inside the car as I could hear my old unit going on and off so this could be an early warning if yours is noisy
you will also have to do a calibration of the unit with a faultmate or similar tool and you have to put it into the mounting position when connecting the handbrake cables.
My curiousity got the better of me and I stripped the EPB down and took some photos to my surprize i did not find any wear at all
The plastic gears looked okay but there was a metal like hook operated by a micro switch so this could have been worn.
Now I will post some photos up when I find out how to do it
cheers

[/url]

Post #91508827th Mar 2012 10:08 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
Re: update on the EPB

MikeS2005 wrote:

This will take the best part of 1 to 2 days to complete as the EPB is obviously put on at the factory with no body on the car.

3 hours Whistle
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #91534728th Mar 2012 5:38 pm
Chicken Duck

Vatican 

Bit off topic again but i don't need to pull the fuse to stop the handbrake coming on when i turn the engine off. I only have to hold the lever down and it dosn't come on Shocked What am i missing?

Post #91537728th Mar 2012 7:31 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Nothing at all Thumbs Up

Its only advisable to pull the fuse to prevent any accidental application of the handbrake module.
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #91538128th Mar 2012 7:40 pm
MikeS2005

smart :censored:

HI Disco
3 hours you on speed, I would have paid your fuel costs if Id known you could have done it in that time Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter ofcourse its a lot easier if you have access to a ramp or you are a miget
I have now added photos in my gallery of the epb stripped down if anyone wants a look

cheers

Post #91539028th Mar 2012 8:00 pm
drw58

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Screaming Handbrake

In the Disco on Saturday and SWMBO put on the handbrake, for a moment I thought someone was slaughtering a pig in the load bay of the car. I tentatively suggested something wasn't right and received a withering look in response.
Next day same thing again, however following consultation with Disco3 I reaslised this is quite a common problem, I also noticed Disco Mikeys details and contacted him for advice, the upshot of which I was at his garage first thing this morning and what a nice guy he is.
Not only did he fix the issue but did so in double quick time and for a very reasonable amount Thumbs Up
Needless to say I've arranged to take my Defender (a real land Rover) Laughing over to him for some TLC and tuning.
Big Thumbs Up and thanks definitely a recommendation from me.
DRW
 I built a garage for my Mini
With a place for everything and everthing in its place.
Ten years down the line there's a Mini in there somewhere, and Censored all's where it should be!!!! Ho hum 

Post #17879016th Mar 2017 5:29 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >