Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

3RD Row Seat Fuel Tank
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Pericles

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
3RD Row Seat Fuel Tank

My D3 is an "S" model with air suspension and no 3rd row seats. I have a drawer system in the back which means that the "tool kit" in the well that is usually used to house the 3rd row seats is otherwise useless. I was wondering if anyone has used this area to house a long range fuel tank? I thought it might be a good use of the space. I don't want a huge tank but an extra 40L would save me having to cart 2 Jerry cans when towing the van in out-of-the-way places. I would be interested in any suggestions/feedback regarding this idea.

Post #88672821st Jan 2012 1:08 pm
kiwirich

Australia 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 3

Hi Pericles,

You could look at the range of Poly tanks. I think it's the Longranger brand ? ( ARB & TJM )

You'll run into the issues of how to get the Fuel in & out, Pumps, Fumes etc.

You can get a 110 Litre tank that fits in the Spare wheel space & then put the spare on the Back bumper.

If you decide to go ahead, let me know how it goes

Kiwirich

Post #88693222nd Jan 2012 3:22 am
90 Rangie

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Izmir BlueDiscovery 3

Hi Pericles,
As two full seats fit in that space I think that you would be supprised just how much fuel you could fit in that space.
I like you would like some extra range for towing 20l would help 40l would be great, I have a seven seater but have used the seats twice in 3.5 years so would be no great loss.
Getting fuel in would be main problem, gravity could feed it into main tank so would not even need gauge, main tank gauge would stay full untill extra tank emptied.
I have thought about this myself but have not gone any further, can not see any problems with fuel vapours etc as you would vent it throught normal vent system.
Do not want spare on rear or would fit normal long range tank.
Keep hoping someone would come up with a bigger steel main tank with square corners to make max use of space around standard tank.
 Do not take life too seriously no one gets out alive anyway!
MY 8.5 Izmir Blue HSE Disco 3, ARB Bullbar, IPF HID spot lights, GME TX3440 all in mic UHF, Tripple batteries (2 x Yellow top aux under bonnet), Prodigy brake control, tinted widows, ARB compressor (under bonnet), Prem sound, Prem Nav, Electronic steering column, Adaptive lights, Center fridge, Active diff, Hybrid TV, Side moulds. 

Post #88701722nd Jan 2012 2:17 pm
DingMark

Iraq 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

I had an '05 D3 (V8 for what it was worth) that only had 2 rows of seats. When installing a 110 litre fuel tank in the spare wheel well, I also had Long Range Automotive make a 40 litre water tank. It was installed in what would be the footwell for the 3rd row passengers. It worked well until a certain ffm left the valve slightly open and it took forever to dry out the wiring harnesses. I dismissed putting in a fuel tank in this location as it was petrol, not diesel. In addition I would have had to drill a hole through the floor of the vehicle to transfer fuel from the interior tank to the main fuel tank. This would effectively destroy the waterproof-ness of the floor. I guess it could be done, but I would want to be very careful when re-fuelling, to avoid the smell of a single diesel drip. I now find Jerry cans work for my needs on the D4, but otherwise one of the plastic 40 litre rectangular tanks would be an option. At least it could be slid out for filling and then flowing into the main tank. If I did a lot of towing or the CSR regularly I'd probably just go with the spare wheel well 110 litre aux tank (they're tried and proven), and use the wasted 3rd row seat for water or a decent jack, etc.

(Note: ffm = female family member)
 Jim Dowell - D4 HSE TDi, 12,000 hydraulic winch & hidden winch mount, MTRs, TyreDog, Traxide 2 x aux battery system, fixed air compressor, Dolium roof rack, MitchHitch.
RIP 2005 D3 HSE V8 5 seater gold (stolen and torched) 

Post #88701822nd Jan 2012 2:19 pm
kiwirich

Australia 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 3

If you feed into the main tankpermanently, You'll want to watch out for the Main Tank Breather height & location. If the Aux tanks are higher, including slop and angle, it'll all come out the breather with appropriate levels of embarrassment.

Although it wasn't a D3, I "heard " of a chap who got caught like this.

Now referred to as "Really Good Idea No. 73"

Kiwirich

Post #88728023rd Jan 2012 1:14 am
Pericles

Yes ... many thanks for your replies. Maybe it will indeed become "Good Idea 74" as I have just been talking to a local fabricator who makes fuel tanks. He brought up most of the disadvantages you did - plus a few more - and I am now feeling somewhat deflated. It seems that the tank would need to be quite slim (approx 100mm) which would pose problems in getting the fuel out of such a flat tank. It would also mean I would need an external filler to avoid the problems of fumes and expansion due to heat buildup forcing the fuel out of the filler when the vehicle was on a slope. Also a breather would need to be higher than the tank to compensate for the same problem of sloping ground. Then there is the problem of getting the fuel into the existing tank with out a major rebuild of the existing tanks filler and installation of pumps etc ... then ... then ...
In all it was a good idea - just impractical - and I just hate to see that nice little space being left empty under the floor of the drawer system. So I may yet cut a hole in the drawer system's floor and make a hatch and store some gear in under there. So long as I contain the gear so that it doesn't vibrate itself up under the floor and get lost in the far reaches of the space ...
I am still looking longingly at the 3rd row foot wells and wondering how I can use that space as well. Never mind - it keeps the brain active!
Maybe the underfloor tank is the go? I just hate the idea of having to swing the spare out of the way every time I want to get into the back of the vehicle. Mind you I also hate the underslung spare. I get filthy every time I have to get it out and I always curse when I have to check the air pressure in it. What I wouldn't give for a slightly larger main tank!

Post #88728623rd Jan 2012 2:18 am
disco4x4au

Australia 

A water bladder should fit in there

Cheers,

Gordon
 ex - 2006 D3 TDV6 SE, silver, with lots of stuff - R.I.P.
ex - 2009 D3 TDV6 SE, silver, had lots of stuff too!
Now - 2010 RRS 3.0 TDV6, rimini red, 18" rims + Cooper LTZ, rear eLocker, Spider tuning box, GOE protection plates and rock sliders, GOE 3way shortened rods. 

Post #88773124th Jan 2012 1:53 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bigtoe

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Hi Pericles,

My D3 is also an "S". I shifted the spare from underneath and put a LRA fuel tank under there.

I had a water bladder made for the 3rd row seat area of about 80 litre capacity. I had the outlet feed through the hole where the spare wheel winch used to sit (A nice low spot). It eventually began to leak from where creases formed from it being a "pillow" shape.

I am now getting a stainless tank of about 70 litres made to go in the space. I will once again fill and empty through the winch hole.

I also have shelving above the 3rd row space.

I have to agree that it is too big an area to let go to waste as is the area covered by the plastic side panels in the rear. I removed them also, it looks a bit "how ya going" but you gain heaps of space in the rear quarter panels.

Bigtoe

Post #88776824th Jan 2012 8:57 am
Pericles

Hi Bigtoe,
Wow ... plenty of storage there! All our travelling is done in the caravan so we are not too concerned about carting water as we have 300L in the van. It's just the fuel capacity when towing that is a problem for us. It looks like the easiest solution is going to be a couple of jerry cans.
Cheers
Pericles

Post #88814424th Jan 2012 11:49 pm
seanc

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Pericles,
I was not keen on carting around a couple of jerry cans taking up space and only using them on the few long legs of the journey. I went for collapsible fuel bladders. They are designed for carrying fuel and are used in boats and aircraft. I bought two 20lt bladders and they are high quality. Fold up flat when empty and not required. The two of them would fit in the space of the third row when full. I kept mine on the roof but there was zero leakage from the cap.
Link to site where I bought mine.
http://liquidcontainment.com.au/fuel_bladders.html
cheers,
sean

Post #89966521st Feb 2012 10:44 am
wvlenthe

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Pericles wrote:
I just hate the idea of having to swing the spare out of the way every time I want to get into the back of the vehicle. Mind you I also hate the underslung spare. I get filthy every time I have to get it out and I always curse when I have to check the air pressure in it.

Put that in the 3rd row space you are not going to put the aux fuel tank in. Solves both the above problems... maybe creates some too though.

Thumbs Up
Wiljo
 D3 V8 HSE Auto in Zermatt silver - driveway version gone but not forgotten, only the living room cupboard version remains  
Post #89975221st Feb 2012 2:19 pm
raadar

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

The biggest issue here seems to be how to get the fluid in and out of the "tank" if it resides in the 3rd row seat space. Under the kiss principle, why not eliminate the need for a filling/draining system simply by being able to simply remove the "tank" every time you need to transfer the fluid, which would be seldom if this storage is used only to top up the main tank.

ROTOPAX.COM from the USA seem to have the ideal jerry can size (seemingly almost custom made for this space at 450x336x76 for a 9 litre container) for storage of different fluid types. You can make up your own mind regarding the pros and cons of deisel or water storage within the vehicle although, from reports, it appears that cap sealing is very secure. Two of their 18 litre, or 4 of their 9 litre containers will fit snugly into this space (900x675x80 plus) once the seats and mechanism have been removed.

Filling and draining the containers is simply accomplished by the old fashioned way of taking one out at a time to top up the main tank as needed. 9litres (or 18 litres) for example is not too difficult to manhandle, and if all the fluid transfer is undertaken externally to the vehicle then risk of spillage is minimised. A plywood floor, split in two across the vehicle axis, would allow convenient access, especially accompanied by a LRA sliding rear floor.

This may not be the answer to all and everyone's issues but it would be a viable alternative for some.

hope this helps...............frank
 my10D4se3Ltdv6 current
my08RRStdv8 sold
my07RRStdv8 sold 

Post #9035021st Mar 2012 12:44 am
~Rich~

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

They are actually 7.5 ltrs in size for diesel tank. Bit small in size for the asking price!
http://www.snakeracing.com.au/rotopax-fuel-container-pack.html
$89.95 for 7.5 ltrs, I think I'll stick with L/R tank plus Jerry cans.
 2005 TDV6 HSE Silver, LLAMS Height Controller, Tinted Glass, Onroad - 19" GG AT's, Offroad - 18" 275/65 MT, Traxside Dual Battery kit, Rasta Protection Plate, Alpine Roof, BAS Remap, ARB Air Compressor, eDiff Smile Custom Drawer and storage unit -http://www.box.com/s/jem0ilac3cner2mexq64 UHF CB, 4x4 Intellegence RWC, 120ltr Long range tank, Rock Sliders and Compressor protection plate Beanie grill, De Tango.  
Post #9035101st Mar 2012 3:35 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >