Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Track Rod Ends
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Mike767

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
Track Rod Ends

My D3 HSE failed the MOT yesterday due to excessive play in the N/S/F track rod end. I decided to change both to avoid the same problem occurring at a later date with the O/S/F. I sourced two from a local indy at a cost of £70 for the pair, although they were available from a LR dealer on that well known auction site for about £50 including P & P. They are universal, so you can fit to either side. Anyway, easy job to do if you want to tackle yourself.

Firstly, you need to jack/support and remove the wheel. Then I used an 18mm socket to remove the nut from the top of the track rod end. A squirt of WD40 helps to loosen things up. I needed to apply a couple of sharp hammer taps to separate the two parts. It was simply a job of then loosening the track rod from the locking nut/steering arm and unscrewing. I made the point of counting the number of turns on each side to remove. Mine were both identical at 19.5 turns. I then refitted using the same number of turns, secured the 18mm nut and tightened the locking nut ensuring that the steering arms were not allowed to rotate in the process.

I went for a quick test to ensure that the car was not pulling and all seemed fine. I will get the tracking checked next week to make sure that the car is still rigged properly. Easy job, about 45 minutes to do the pair.

Took it back for the re-test, guess what? VOSA systems were down across the UK. The garage couldn't look at it, not even allowed to OK the work and issue the MOT when VOSA were back in business. Sent the wife back later, and hey presto!

Post #8332148th Sep 2011 10:49 pm
Stay Frosty

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Got to do mine too! Good to know it sounds quite easy. Any photies? Very Happy

Post #87665430th Dec 2011 2:04 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >