Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Holed Wing Mirror Housing
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Albourneboy

United Kingdom 
Holed Wing Mirror Housing

Coming home this evening, something flew off a lorry I was passing and smacked into the N/S wing mirror, causing it to partially fold Shocked .

On arriving home, I discovered a hole some 2.5ins in diameter in the front of the mirror housing Censored . As far as I can tell in the dark, no other damage has been done and the mirror still works so I have stuck a load of bodge tape over the hole to keep the rain out for now.

My questions are as follows:
Is it possible to replace only the housing or does the whole mirror assembly have to be replaced?

If it's possible to replace just the housing, has anybody an idea how to do it?

Finally, does anybody know how much a complete mirror assembly costs (or better still, how much is just the housing)?
 Now an ex-D3 owner after 7 happy years. Miss the car but not the big bills Smile

Post #10234516th Nov 2006 6:04 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

from memory the whole lot is only about 30 notes.

I crushed mine on the gate post not long after I had my D3... very narrow (2" either side of the mirrors) and I was reversing... well thats my excuse

Post #10234816th Nov 2006 6:13 pm
DiscoStu

England 

I know of someone who had a 3 week old FFRR. He was having a party at his house, and took his Dad out for a drive to show off his new car. When they got back to the house, his dad jumped out of the car to help guide him, but left the door open. There were a few people outside, so he decided to show off a bit, and floored the car in reverse. His fence posts were 10" square wooden posts, and it hit so hard it lifted the RR's front passenger wheel 16" into the air, just by the door sliding up and along it. The door didn't snap off, though! It took an AA relay lorry to pull him off of it - they had to cut a tree down just to get access for it. Apparently his Dad was crying afterwards, he felt so guilty...

So it could have been worse!
 Disco 5 HSE Lux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peyiqaJrmMU 

Post #10235316th Nov 2006 6:45 pm
Albourneboy

United Kingdom 

simon wrote:
from memory the whole lot is only about 30 notes.

That seems pretty cheap! I'll give the stealers a ring in the morning and ask them.
 Now an ex-D3 owner after 7 happy years. Miss the car but not the big bills Smile

Post #10235916th Nov 2006 7:23 pm
simon

pretty sure it was... I know I was ready for a rip off but was pleasantly surprised. But don't quote me on the price Wink

Post #10237316th Nov 2006 8:07 pm
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

You have to replace the complete assembly which has the motor just to get the plastic housing Crying or Very sad .

The mirror with plastic frame is another part - if this is still okay mthen you only need the housing assembly which has the motor(s).

Do a search on my (PCH) posts and you will find the detail on removing trim etc... to get to the bolts that hold the mirror assemble onto the door frame.

When you order the part it is important to clearly tell the spare parts person what features you mirror can do (i.e. dip on reverse, fold) because there are different types of assemblies. My Stealer asked me for my VIN to double check what I was requesting.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #10253317th Nov 2006 10:07 am
simon

good point Chris.

Mine is an 'S' so a little less complex, so cheaper I would assume by a long shot.

Post #10253917th Nov 2006 10:40 am
Albourneboy

United Kingdom 

Have checked with dealer. My mirror has the lot so the assembly costs £91 + vat Big Cry That doesn't include the glass mind and if they manage to break that getting it off (and there is every chance apparently!) that's another £25+VAT.

I hate taking trim off as something always breaks so as the dealer's labour charge is £40 (and they'll do it while I wait), so I think I'll let them do it.

I'm glad it is the same mirror I scraped on a gatepost a month or so ago Embarassed

Could always leave the bodge tape on I suppose – it'll be cheaper Idea

Post #10256317th Nov 2006 12:43 pm
Tonyrec

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Its just one of those unfortunate things.........and it could have been worse.
ive certainly been through a similar story and its not nice.

But look on the brightside, it will soon be as new again.

Post #10258817th Nov 2006 1:59 pm
Locsuna

United Kingdom 
Holed wing mirror

Hi mate, Try Ebay, I got o/s non flip minus glass for £35 nad a n/s with glass for £31. You can remove the glass without breaking it but be very careful as the terminals for the heated mirror are only lightly bonded on. The female conectoe corodes making it hard to pull off. I think the door panel needs to come off as well.

Hope this helps.

Post #10280718th Nov 2006 2:51 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >