DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Water, air leaks and EGR blank......
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
mallo

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Water, air leaks and EGR blank......

Hi all
I have just got in the car to drive home from work to have water run onto my feet, dreaded sunroof drains......
Instead of going home I decided to have a go at it, I tried in the past to remove the air inlet cover and haven't had much luck, however I gave it a bit more welly and off it came, hoverer breaking one of the clips, it now won't pop back in, I think it's a new part from TLO.......
However I didn't have time to do the other side, my questions are:-
What is the process? Is there a guide in here for doing it?
Is it wheel off, wheel lining out? Reach up and find the valve, cut end off, and re-build? Is there anything I need to know doing this job?

Also I ordered a blanking kit from BAS and a silicone hose kit, whilst messing around with the drain I ran the engine and revved it I noticed air coming out of a split in the top of the hose, so it looks like I will be fitting the new hose at the weekend, the top end looks easy enough to get to, what about the bottom? Can you take a panel/cover off underneath to get to the bottom end hose clip? Any advise would help.......

I think I will do the blanking kit too, I have read the instructions for this too, I think this is fairly straight forward the only bit that looks a bit difficult is taking the butterfly out of the valve? Is there any advise for this?

Thanks for any help you can offer, this forum is great.......

Post #8659351st Dec 2011 8:52 pm
Wiggy Man

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Hi Mallo,

This is the link for the Sunroof http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic22757.html i've never done this so can't give any advice.

I blanked my EGR with the BAS kit and it's pretty straight forward as the instructions are good, it was the first job i did on my Disco and enjoyed doing it.

I have also replaced the intercooler hose, the top clip is easy and the bottom...there is a black plastic panel at the bottom right of the driver side wheel arch. from memory it has three black plastic push in clips holding it on. They are the same type that holds the wheel arch liner in place, you prise out the middle bit and then the rest comes out. You can then get to the bottom clip.

Have fun Thumbs Up

Post #8659801st Dec 2011 11:44 pm
anglefire

England 

It's 4 clips that hold the lower cover on - they hold just about every part of the car on!

And they break - P/N is ANR 2224 and there are 5 in a pack - only a few quid from the Dealer.
 Mark.
2006, D3 SE Auto - gone but not forgotten.
2014 BMW 530d M Sport Tourer.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Post #8659842nd Dec 2011 12:04 am
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Mallo

When I blanked my egr's off I could not get the butterfly valve shaft to come out, I was bending the housing so I left it in place and just locked the valve fully open with a self tapping screew in the right place, its been fine ever since. Just don't rush it and you will be fine.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #8660062nd Dec 2011 1:59 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mallo

Thanks for all your comments, the bit I am not looking forward to is the butterfly valve in the EGR job, and the risk of the studs sheering, will take this easy……

Post #8661092nd Dec 2011 1:20 pm
Tawny Owl

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Just take your time and allow yourself time so you don't rush Thumbs Up

My bolts for the egr came out ok , a little rusty , so wire brushed them and put some copper slip on the threads.
You could always get 4 x bolts and gasket to be on the safe side Smile

Like Flack , my spindle would not come out and with fear of breaking something I just jammed open the flap with a small self tapper , it's held in place since Thumbs Up

Good luck.

Post #8663532nd Dec 2011 10:45 pm
mallo

Well things were a bit slow at work today, so decided I would sort things out on the disco, sorted the silicone air inlet, perfect, thanks Peter easy, also took the passengers wheel lining out (quite a bit more involved but not difficult) and started to sort out the sunroof drain on this side.

When a customer who bounced several cheques at me 4 years ago for an account which hadn't been settled for 100 notes turned up, I kept quiet while he instructed my staff what he would like.....
I popped up from behind the wheel arch and said to him, Mr. .....?(I remembered his name) We would be more than happy to sort out this job, but would appreciate payment for the last one you didn't settle..... He was some what taken back 4 years on...... Any way he went off and got the 100 notes + the 60 that was needed for the current materials (cash only).

Shame he walked in whilst I was sorting out the disco, (face seen, owes me money, never forgotten)..... Rolling with laughter
Anyhow didn't get as far as the EGR valves another job for the weekend, disco seems much more responsive with the new silicone air inlet, I look forward to the EGR mod and the improvements.

Post #8663973rd Dec 2011 12:48 am
husseintdv6

Kenya 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Firenze RedDiscovery 3

Hi, getting the butterfly out is much easier when you tap the spindle gently from within the front opening. I did my blanking about 2 weeks ago and struggled getting it out the BAS way so I decided to tap the spindle slightly. Ow and do apply some WD40 at the butterfly and spindle joint.

Post #8673015th Dec 2011 5:12 pm
mallo

Thanks for all your help, fitted the blanks and removed the butterfly OK, it is certainly a fiddley job, well removing the pipes on either side and fitting the blanks... The trouble is the size of my hands, it's was all a bit of a squeeze, not helped by dropping the gasket down the side of the engine..... Rolling Eyes
I also managed to break the plastic clip at the back of the y pipe, is this an issue? Embarassed
When I took the butterfly out and the stub pipes out of the y pipe I noticed a load of black soot/cr@p some of it loose and I managed to get as much of the loose bits out as I could but there seemed a load still in there, should I worry about this? Also there seemed a sensor in the y pipe, I think I have seen this mentioned as a sensor that has been cleaned in some other posts, should I clean this too, or just order a replacement?
Thanks again to this wonderful site an the helpers here.

Post #86964111th Dec 2011 7:12 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Clean as best you can but don't over worry. The MAP sensor can be wiped clean but don't start poking things down the hole as the membrane inside is very delicate and the sensor costs over £200!
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #86964411th Dec 2011 7:16 pm
mallo

Hi Robbie
Thanks for that, I wondered if this was the MAP sensor, what does this sensor do? I won't be poking anything up it..... Should I put the fault code reader on her and see if there is anything I should be looking at?
Thanks for your help

Post #86966311th Dec 2011 7:41 pm
Robbie

It a pressure sensor which influences a bunch of engine systems so can be a real pain if it goes wrong. If you have no issues just put it all back together and turn the key (although it may be a little rough and slow to start with disturbed crud) as all should be ok.

Diagnostics for:

Post #86967911th Dec 2011 8:06 pm
mallo

Hi Robbie
Thanks for that, I have put it back together and it ran fine, didn't sound rough at all, in fact it seemed to pull off from cold better than ever? I will leave it all alone, or order a new sensor and clean the y out a bit before fitting the new sensor.
I am planning to take the car for a decent run in France shortly and would like to sort any issues out before I go.
Thanks again for your help

Last edited by mallo on 12th Dec 2011 11:19 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #86970611th Dec 2011 9:05 pm
Robbie

Don't buy a sensor unless it has failed as they are not exactly cheap!

Diagnostics for:

Post #86970811th Dec 2011 9:09 pm
mallo

Hi Robbie
Thanks for that, reading some of the other posts I wondered if there was any advantage in cleaning or replacing it?
I could spray to "wash it" out with WD40 or something similar? Or am I better leaving as it is?

Post #86976011th Dec 2011 10:38 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >