Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

EAS Failure - Down to Bump Stops
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
navydevildoc

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3
EAS Failure - Down to Bump Stops

OK guys, I am going to go crazy here, and I am hoping one of you can return me to sanity. Sorry for the long read but I want to provide as much detail as possible.

My '05 LR3 has been a rock solid truck for the last 5 years. Then out of the blue about a month ago I was leaving the house to go out wheeling in the Calico Mountains, when I only made it about 1 mile away and the suspension light comes on red with "Suspension Fault" then "Special Programs Not Available" and then "Max Speed 30 MPH" or something to that effect. I have had strange suspension errors (with an amber light) while off-roading, so I figured I would pull over, do a shutdown/restart, and all would be good. Little did I notice at the time that the suspension was sinking down to the bump stops. I have never had this happen before.

I limped home on the stops, and plug in my Faultmate. Since I had never really looked at the EAS before, it was awash in trouble codes. I cleared everything, chose the "Raise Vehicle" option in Vehicle Explorer, shut down, restarted, and all was well in the world.

I attributed it to a fluke reading that the computer didn't like, and once it was on the stops it didn't want to re-pressurize.

Fast forward 3 weeks later. I am leaving work, and as I am accelerating onto the freeway the same thing happens. I have a "gut check" moment as I try to figure out if I am sinking to the stops or not. I am, but before I can even change lanes to pull over the light goes out on its own and the EAS goes back to normal, as if nothing ever happened. I pull the codes when I get home, and I have:

C1A73 - Front Right Height Sensor Mechanism - Circuit Voltage Out of Range
C1A74 - Rear Left Height Sensor Mechanism - Circuit Voltage Out of Range
C1A75 - Rear Right Height Sensor Mechanism - Circuit Voltage Out of Range
C1A04 - Front Right Height Sensor - Circuit Voltage Out of Range
C1A07 - Cross Articulation - Algorithm Based Failure - Signal Compare Failure

Since it cleared on its own, I figured it might be a fluke and let it be. I drive it for another 2 weeks with no problems.

Fast forward to today. In the exact same spot on the road as before, I get the fault. It clears on its own about 20 seconds later. Since I am headed home, I continue driving. On the way home I stop at the store, with no problems, until I am lined up for the freeway, and then the same red light comes on. This time it is joined by the Adaptive Front Lights warning light, which is blinking. Truck is on the bump stops at this point so I pull over, and have a buddy (who owns a D-90 and is making EAS jokes the whole time) bring me the faultmate. I re-inflate the bags, restart, and I am up and running. I get home as fast as I can.

I start googling what might be wrong, and poke around in the TSBs on GTR. Seeing a TSB for similar problems relating to old height sensors, I pick me up a new set of the "re-designed" sensors. I also see looking at the wiring diagram that the only common point of failure for all of these sensors is either the ECU itself, or maybe its ground point, which for some bizarre reason is outside on the front left fenderwell. I pull all the trim out on the left A pillar, put eyes on the ECU which looks fine, and then pull apart the left fenderwell. Ground point looks solid, no corrosion, dirt, mud, etc as its shielded by the plastic "inner fender guard" thing.

Since I already had the fender apart, I replaced the front left height sensor and did a calibration on the EAS using the faultmate. I also clear all the codes on the EAS ECU.

Having drank the last beer I had over this, I decide a beer run to the store would be a good test drive to she how the truck does.

Now we enter the twilight zone. In the exact same spot I was in when this all started over a month ago, the red light comes on. I immediately turn around to start heading back to the house before I lose all my air in the system. But the fault clears itself. Odd, I think, so I turn back around to go to the store (really needed beer now). Once I hit the same intersection again the fault light comes back on. So I decided even beer isn't worth it and I turn around again towards home, and the fault clears.

I get home, grab my buddy's D-90 and go get beer.

I come back, break out the faultmate, and now I have:

C1A07 - Cross Articulation - Algorithm Based Failure - Signal Compare Failure (Intermittent)
C1A00 - Control Module - System Programming Failure - Missing Calibration (Intermittent)

No other tested DTCs on the EAS. The Terrain Response ECU has some codes of its own:

U0132 - Lost Communication With Ride Level Control Module - Bus Signal/Message Failure - Missing a Message
U0421 - Invalid Data Received From Ride Level Control Module - Algorithm Based Failure - Event Information

I still haven't put on the other 3 ride height sensors.... but to be honest I am thinking this is a CAN bus problem. The Adaptive Lighting warning light (with no faults later) was odd, and everything else on the truck is working great. The battery is about 4 months old, and the engine cranks and starts like it was new. When the suspension isn't acting wonky, the entire vehicle works just like it did off the lot.

I haven't done any mods to it in a while, so I don't think anything there would be the problem.

Even though I did a calibration the ECU is complaining it doesn't have one. But if I go back and look at the settings in the faultmate, the height calibration data is there.

SO.... here I am, beer in hand, trying to figure this mess out. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.....

Big Cry
 2005 LR3 HSE - ARB Bumper, Warn XD9000, Custom Rock Sliders and Skid Plates, BBS Faultmate MSV-2 Extreme, Kenwood TMD-700, etc, etc,
1965 Series IIA 

Post #73175815th Dec 2010 4:16 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Well, I would change all the remaining height sensors as a start point.

Post #73181215th Dec 2010 10:01 am
navydevildoc

Well, lots of work so far today.

Both rear height sensors have been replaced. Re-flashed the ECU using the faultmate, and then did an EAS recalibration. Didn't need any changes, the old cal values held over.

Still throws faults in the exact same place in the road. Doesn't matter how long I drive before I go past, so it's not time or distance dependent. There is something about the bumps and curves in the road or some other external deal that just freaks out the ECU.

The only code throwing at the moment is:
C1A07 - Cross Articulation - Algorithm Based Failure - Signal Compare Failure

The only thing I can think of at this point is that the front left sensor has been changed, but not the front right as it's backordered until Thursday. Since I have one new sensor and one old, the cross-axle "sanity check" algorithm is having issues with it. F-ing annoying that it drops to the bump stops for this. It would be helpful if it indicated which set (rear or front) was not comparing right.

I also checked all of the wiring from the EAS ECU to the chassis/body connector behind the left rear tire to make sure there was no corrosion or dirt ingress.

I have re-flashed the ECU with 4 different versions of software, all with the same result. I have left the latest on there.

Everything else is working great on the truck.

Any clues from anyone?
 2005 LR3 HSE - ARB Bumper, Warn XD9000, Custom Rock Sliders and Skid Plates, BBS Faultmate MSV-2 Extreme, Kenwood TMD-700, etc, etc,
1965 Series IIA 

Post #73225815th Dec 2010 11:24 pm
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I had some of those codes last weekend, changed a Height Sensor and it remained. Turned out to be the Compressor....

Things I was told to check before removing the compressor. Ensure the Rear Cubby, the one with the fuses in is free flowing as thats where the compresser gets its air feed, and if thats ok I was told to remove the two BIG air lines from the rear of the compressor (nearest the rear wheel), then start the D3/LR3, moniter how long the pump runs/noise/and strength of air excluded.

You'll know if its the compressor once you tried that.

Post #73228816th Dec 2010 12:10 am
navydevildoc

OK, I think I just have the problem down to bad recalibration.

I have tried doing it myself using the faultmate more than once, but it still is all wonky, the blocks on the 4x4 info screen are all in the wrong place, etc. It's no surprise that the truck is angry at me.

I am going to see if the dealer can squeeze me in for a quick suspension calibration tomorrow. We have already established that I can drive for a while as long as I have someone in the passenger seat who can hit "clear faults" every 30 seconds (like clockwork) on the faultmate laptop. So if they are willing to get me in, I will take it up there and see what they are willing to do.

Of course, I could have been doing the re-cal wrong. I have been putting the ECU into re-cal mode, measuring how high each fender flare was off the ground, and trying to base it off of that. Does anyone have a better method?
1965 Series IIA 

Post #73232416th Dec 2010 6:45 am
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

As it's sanity you're after I'll offer an unusual alternative to explore (though sounds like you've already found the cause TBH).
Have you checked the "black spot" for road sensor coils, microwave relay towers nearby, underground electrical cables for an airport or industrial site or any other possible source of large scale interference?

Does the car still go ape when you drive that part at 5mph? If it does, it's an external issue...

Edit : missed a bit. When it comes to ground points, always open them to check.
My dad had an electronic ignition module on his LR Safari which worked brilliantly for years then just quit one day. Extensive poking and fiddling with various components made no difference, and visual inspection of the ground/power connectors gave all a clean bill of health. When the kit was coming out to put the old points back into the distributor, when he started to undo the nut holding the earth point it sheared. The inside of the bolt was dust and there were no visible contact points between the module earth lead and the bolt/chassis. Visually it looked perfect, inside was nasty.
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #73236716th Dec 2010 10:25 am
Rotorhead

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hi navydevildoc,

It's been a year but I have same faults, what was the fix. Did your recalibration get it sorted?

Many thanks

Post #87258219th Dec 2011 12:30 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >