Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Matzker review in LRO
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Pelyma

England 
Matzker review in LRO

Interesting review of some suspension mods in this month's mag. It was tested by Ed Cobley. Was there any mention of it in Morocco?
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #1000979th Nov 2006 11:25 am
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

There was apparently a V8 Disco 3 with it, didn't seem to give any advantage whatsoever, then again the driver was an utter t Censored t (and caused me to have the only sense-of-humour failure of the trip Evil or Very Mad )
can't see the point of it personally as all it appears to do is fool the height sensors into giving you the 'emergency reserve' suspension lift earlier, which means that if you then get stuck, theres nothing left to give...

Post #1001279th Nov 2006 1:44 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Pelyma

England 

It seems to have a effect on the shock absorbers too. But I have to say all the article seems to be about is that you can drive faster! Also it has underbody protection, spare wheel carrier, black alloys and horrible roof rails! There is a long range fuel tank in place of the spare wheel too Rolling Eyes

Are you going to tell us more about your new friend? Wink

Post #1001399th Nov 2006 1:59 pm
10forcash

not read it, but the only thing I can see it doing is giving the impression of 'stiffening' the suspension due to the higher volume & pressure of air in the suspension components, with the increased height the crossvalves will also lock up quicker (due to the LR mapping, not the Metzger) preventing excessive body roll, although this will allow higher speeds due to the greater ground clearance i'd be wary of bursting a suspension component due to the higher shock loads likely to be induced...

Post #1001449th Nov 2006 2:11 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Not read it but if it's the full Matzker kit it should include two parts; the electronic handling kit and new shocks. Both can be fitted independently of each other for some difference (whether it's an improvement or not can only be a matter of opinion) but you really need to fit both to get the full benefit. Hoping to get a chance to experience it soon to decide for myself (Chris? Wink )
 The End  
Post #1001589th Nov 2006 2:46 pm
Aubrey

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Any website to read more ..... LRO takes a while to reach darkest Africa Confused

Post #10132413th Nov 2006 12:31 pm
Pelyma

England 

There is a thread on RRS with a link to the site, but it is in German. Don't bother with LRO site as most the posters there still think the world is flat Evil or Very Mad

Post #10133213th Nov 2006 1:06 pm
Mossy

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

http://www.matzker.de/

If this helps.
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #10133313th Nov 2006 1:08 pm
opodden

Norway 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I think it is a definate advantage to be able to lift the vehicle before it hits an obstacle: It will decrease the risk of damaging the undercarriage and sometimes it will be impossible to get going again if you stop.

When driving in deep snow, it is better to keep the car low and plow on until it stops and reverse out. Sometimesw it will be necessary to raise the vehicle in order to get out. But I don't need a computer in the car doing that for me. I can manage that myself.So, leave the car in the normal offroad setting until you stop, flick the switch and get out. If you want to avoid hitting protruding stones or maintain momentum, flick the switch to the extended offroad position and cruise along! I only wish LR made it that way in the first place, so I wouldn't have to may a large sum of money for it.

I'm a bit surprised that the system tested in LRO seemed to be more developed than the one described on the Matzker website. The website doesn't describe the new shocks, and the range of the adjustment is smaller.

Post #10441624th Nov 2006 10:58 am
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

I witnessed the Matzker car fully inflated, boy you can tell its pumped up Shocked it looked like it didn't have any suspension at all, I suppose it didn't. I will second 10forcash on all his comments. I got places that the Matzker car never managed to get and I was in 'off road' mode. The suspension looses its travel when in 'super extended' mode. Also I managed to break a CV joint whilst temporarily in 'super extended' mode surely its not a good idea to 'lock' the suspension up at such a height.

Post #10444124th Nov 2006 12:33 pm
10forcash

Talked to Chris about the shocks, they are basically a stiffer and more progressive version of the LR ones that sit inside the suspension turret and utilise the original suspension airbag
In the 'right' situation, I can see it being of benefit, but I can also see it magnifying any driver errors and / or dynamic shift /driveline stresses should things go wrong...

Post #10444324th Nov 2006 12:49 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >