DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Park brake cables
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
BigJP

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
Park brake cables

Hi All

Should Bodsy read this, their will be some beer tokens landing in your paypal account over the next couple of days, I don't have a paypal bank account but the wife is working on it and we should have one in a minute apparently.

I have downloaded the brake bible and had a good read before replacing the rear brake drums on my disco3 and have to say Bodsys done a cracking job puting that together.

As said, we've replaced the rear discs and pads, shoes where fine, cleaned all the dust out, copper slipped the important bits, stuck it all back together and set up as per the bible, following it to the letter! The park brake holds fine now but a problem that has haunted us since we have had the vehicle has now got worse. The park brake would always squeak when released, I sent it back to the dealer twice while it was in warranty but its never been brilliant. Now it doesn't just squeak but the nearside is properly binding but only now and again. We've stripped it all down for a second time and have discovered that the actuater is working fine, the brake assembly is working fine but the cables themselves are knackered. Having dredged the interent I found a land rover bulletin that refers to replaceing the cables along with the part numbers but can't find anywhere anybody that has actually replaced them.

My question is, are they replacable, has anyone ever had a go or am I just better getting the whole lot done at the dealer?

Thanks for the help.

James

Post #85237527th Oct 2011 10:19 pm
jambo1972

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

I don't think you can repair/replace the cables alone as the actuator is a sealed unit?

I have a brand new full unit (actuator, cables the lot) I'm looking to get rid of. Was out the box for photos and bought as thought mine was goosed but just needed stripping and cleaned. Photos on my gallery and was about to put on fleabay. New they are >£350, want £180 for mine. If it's of interest get in touch.

Jambo
 K7MUN TDV6 S Auto, 2005, Adriatic Blue, Xenons, Harmon Kardon, SE Alloys & AT's. 170k miles. BAS Blanked EGR's, K&N Filter, new air susp compressor. 1st Landie, now full LR convert.  
Post #85238827th Oct 2011 11:04 pm
SteveNorman

United Kingdom 

Yes you can replace just the cables.

LH side. You must know how to get the cable off the park brake shoes by now Wink .
Then unscrew the plastic nut holding the cable to the backplate, & remove. remove the cable clips to the chassis, then unscrew the plastic nut holding the cable to the actuator housing, then unscrew the inner cable from the actuator....just keep turning until it releases. When fitting the new cable, screw in 5 complete turns only, that's important.
The RH side is similar, but instead of screwing in, it's clipped in, look at the new cable to see the difference & how to unhook it.

Regards
Steve

Post #85241928th Oct 2011 7:09 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
drmcw

United Kingdom 

Quote:
Yes you can replace just the cables.

Prepared to be shot down here, but I think there may be a MY difference here and newer D3's can have the cable replaced but older ones aren't so lucky and you need to replace more than the cable.
Can't be of more help but just a heads up.

Post #85242428th Oct 2011 7:25 am
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

I don't like shooting anyone but you can replace the cables on all MY.

Perhaps you are thinking of the cycle limit on the EPB which requires a new actuator complete with cable.

From the manual:

Quote:
If the parking brake system has completed less than 50,000 cycles it is permissible to replace the parking brake cables. If over 50,000 cycles have been completed, then the cables can only replaced as part of the parking brake actuator and cable assembly. The parking brake cycle count can be checked using T4, (ON/OFF = 1 cycle). If a cable breaks or becomes detached whilst the vehicle is being driven, a 'parking brake actuator unblocking procedure' may be required via T4.
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #85243328th Oct 2011 7:57 am
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Of course, we would all like to own an actuator that lasts 50,000 cycles. Using the EPB twice a day (off, on, off, on) for 365 days a year would give it a service life of over 68 years!!

Whistle
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #85243528th Oct 2011 8:13 am
BigJP

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Thanks for the info guys. I will get a pair of cables and give it a bash.

Cheers

Post #85269628th Oct 2011 10:28 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Nice one BigJP.

If you get some photo's whilst doing it, I can add it to the Bible. (e-mail is best) Thumbs Up

I did have a look at doing this recently in case I needed to cut off one of tehcables, but got it sorted in the end.

Other than access to the Actuator Box & of course the fact that all the joins are probably stuck, it looks like an 'OK' but fiddly job. Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #85343331st Oct 2011 10:54 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >