DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Play in front wheels
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
a11geo

Wales 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Marmaris TealDiscovery 4
Play in front wheels

Evnin’ All

I’m running a 57 disco with 80k miles on the clock. On my last MOT (carried out by Land Rover (or in fact the back street place they contract it out to)) I had advisories on both front lower wishbone bushes and the lower ball joints – not that uncommon as I understand. I then had advisories on both lower ball joints but not the wishbone bushes when I had it serviced at a different Land Rover garage in the summer.

As the MOT is almost due again, I thought I should go take a look so I can ask Santa for the appropriate bits in my Christmas stocking Very Happy With the front wheels off the ground, if I rock the wheels with my hands in the 3 & 9 O’clock positions, I have noticeable play, but with hands in the 6 & 12 O’clock positions there it no play at all. I also don’t have any of the knocking sounds or poor ride quality associated with either the bushed or the ball joint.

Could this mean this is actually the inner and/or outer track rod ends that ware worn rather than the ball joints and bushes?

So be it if the wishbones etc need to be replaced, but I don’t see much point it doing it now if it’s not the cause of the problem Thumbs Up

Post #87408021st Dec 2011 10:53 pm
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

You can't check the ball joints that way bud, unless the are hanging off, you need the car with the wheels on the floor and then with a big bar you need to lever the the ball-joint from the stub axle this will show you if you have any play the same goes for the bushes, everything is under pressure and your check is not how to do it.

If you have play from 3 and 9 position then check track rod ends , steering rack and track control arms, are you sure its play and not just movement in the steering linkage.

Flack Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #87408921st Dec 2011 11:11 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Stu

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I've had advisories on my last 3 MOT for lower ball joints but my mechanic has said they aren't getting any worse so he's not worried about doing it yet. So maybe you don't need to do anything?
 D3 HSE MY05 Auto

Expo Rack, Club MTR, LR Spots, A Bar, Light Guards, GNVP Sump Guard, GNVP Ladder, Cup Holders, RLD A Bar brackets. Disco3Club stickers, Aux power on Mod 

Post #87414822nd Dec 2011 1:49 am
a11geo

Thanks for the advice guys.

I think I’m leaning towards just putting it in for the MOT early at my local MOT place and seeing what they come up with... As I said, I’m not getting any noticeable symptoms whilst driving so hopefully the wear is minor and will see me through for another year.

TBH I probably wouldn’t have thought twice about getting it done on the advice of the first LR garage but at the time the car was still just within its manufactures warrantee and the service manager came out with the line “It’s not bad enough at the moment to be fixed under warrantee but it will defiantly all need doing in 3 month’s time” (after the warrantee expired). Just made me feel they were using the discounted MOT and free health check to create work for themselves….

Post #87422622nd Dec 2011 10:35 am
Stu

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Probably not, to be fair. If the work could have been done under warranty then the garage would have got paid for it and as it wouldn't cost you anything you'd have no doubt asked them to do it. If you had to leave it till it was out of warranty then the garage may or may not get the work. If you knew there was going to be some work required did you extend you warranty?
 D3 HSE MY05 Auto

Expo Rack, Club MTR, LR Spots, A Bar, Light Guards, GNVP Sump Guard, GNVP Ladder, Cup Holders, RLD A Bar brackets. Disco3Club stickers, Aux power on Mod 

Post #87423222nd Dec 2011 10:41 am
a11geo

Thats a resonable point. But they were quite insistant and went so fas as to add the work to the schedule for my next service.

But you are absolutly right. I didnt take it back to the same garage for the service so they may or may not end up doing the work in the end...

Post #87424422nd Dec 2011 11:18 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >