Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Tow Hitch: What a POS!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
rockjock

2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Java BlackLR3
Tow Hitch: What a POS!!

The key wouldn't pull out and now it's broken off at the lock. What a bloody POS design. Does anyone know what LR's warranty policy is on things like this, I purchased the tow hitch a few months after the purchase of the truck. Thanks. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
 was 00 D2 > then 04 D2 > now 05 LR3  
Post #984983rd Nov 2006 4:40 am
LeighW
D3 Decade 

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Hi rockjock

Didn't persuade it with a piece of granite or such by any chance? Smile

I would take it back to the supplier and be rightfully asking for a replacement (And you are right about the design, I don't think your key would be the only one to break off due to the poor design).

It amazes me that the designers came up with a perfectly good rear chassis rail design that could have easily incorporated a towbar (and locking system) and yet they persevered with the ramp angle reducing cast iron affair!

Good luck - but be assertive...

Leigh
 LeighW

The old girl is on her third engine...
* first ran a bearing (design failure in original engine)
* second had a failure of the water outlet on top of the engine (pls check yours) 

Post #984993rd Nov 2006 4:52 am
rockjock

2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Java BlackLR3

Finally got the broken off key stub out of the lock, had to use a rubber mallet and knock the locking pin (the pin that engages the hitch reciever on the truck) back into the cast iron body of the hitch, also applied a liberal amount of silicone based lubricant. My hitch has only been used 4-5 times and never in inclement weather, doesn't say much for the design, that the pin was frozen. Hopefully using the serial number off the body of the hitch, I can order a new key.
 was 00 D2 > then 04 D2 > now 05 LR3  
Post #988634th Nov 2006 5:15 pm
suevite

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Cant get just keys Confused (I tried) but a complete new lock assembly comes with 2 keys and is very cheap (about £7). I just replaced mine as the car came without./lost keys, and it was a quick and easy job to replace the entire lock assembly. Simply drift out one split pin, remove entire lock assembly, replace new split pin, and bingo, back in action. Literally took 5 minutes.

I like the tow hitch design, stows away neatly (keys attached) and fits instantly. Maybe something was wrong with yours? Mine has been towing a boat occasionally, no probs.

Lock assembly LKNW500010 supplied by Nick Lee (phone 01935 426600), came next day by post, and he is very helpful if you get stuck! Very Happy
 Don't put it off, go for it!  
Post #988704th Nov 2006 5:46 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jeff

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Rimini RedDiscovery 3

rockjock wrote:
Finally got the broken off key stub out of the lock, had to use a rubber mallet and knock the locking pin (the pin that engages the hitch reciever on the truck) back into the cast iron body of the hitch, also applied a liberal amount of silicone based lubricant. My hitch has only been used 4-5 times and never in inclement weather, doesn't say much for the design, that the pin was frozen. Hopefully using the serial number off the body of the hitch, I can order a new key.

Rockjock I did exactly the same, I wanted to keep my towhitch key on my keyfob but it wasn't very practical with a big lump of u shaped iron attached!
managed to break the key whilst trying to remove it, then read somewhere on here the key is designed to stay IN whilst the towball is removed. Embarassed
 D3 TDV6SE
Defender 110 V8 lpg

www.carlyonbay.net
www.thepavillioncarlyonbay.co.uk 

Post #988974th Nov 2006 9:42 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >