Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Wheels & Tyres

Are Pirelli ATR's for us ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Smarticus

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4
Are Pirelli ATR's for us ?

The wife's D4 needs yet another set of tyres. She does about 18,000 miles a year (its a long school run from where we live in the depths of Northumberland) and the Pirelli Scorpion Zero's are lasting about 10 months a set ! Whilst it seems a pretty good tyre I really would like to change to something a bit longer wearing, without compromising on road safety (stopping distance, cornering and wet weather). And if they will get us through another tough winter - all the better. After some research here it sounds to me as if the Pirelli Scorpion ATR's might fit the bill. I can get a set of 4 fitted for £800 all in - which seems OK to me - but before pulling the trigger on this can I just ask here if the ATR will compromise safety at all compared to the Zero's ? The vehicle is used to take 5 kids to school everyday and there is no way I want it running on anything but the best tyres.
 Disco 4 TDV6HSE
Defender 200TDi CSW
RR Evoque 

Post #81621711th Jul 2011 9:50 pm
The Transformer

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

seen this thread? http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic67397.html

oooops the 6 others have gone sorry

Post #81622211th Jul 2011 9:56 pm
mick

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Mark was chatting to Slimer on sun he has them on his and reakons they last longer than the ordinary scorpions but mine have done 20 k and have a fair bit left Thumbs Up

Post #81622511th Jul 2011 10:04 pm
Ajay(UK)

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

We inherited a set of new ATR's on the wife's car when we bought it - Nearly 2 years on and 30,000 miles later and there is still plenty of life left in them Thumbs Up

Personally I cannot fault them - on road they are quiet and work well and last winter in the snow the D3 perfomed better than my FFRR Embarassed

If you go for them it's money well spent in my opinion and when eventually we need new tyres they will be the only choice for us. 8)

Andy.
 2022MY Defender 110 D250 HSE X Dynamic, Gondwana with options!
2015 Range Rover 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography, Indus Silver, Black Pack
Gone:Disco 4 HSE Luxury, Firenze Red, Ebony/Ivory
Gone:2006 FFRR TD6 Autobiography, Black
Gone: 2013 Jaguar XKR Convertible, Italian Racing Red😢
Gone: 2008 Disco 3 HSE, Hybrid Tv + Retro-fit RSE System & DVD
Gone: 2010 FFRR TDV8 Vogue SE, RSE & DVD, Stornoway Grey 

Post #81622711th Jul 2011 10:15 pm
Smarticus

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Thanks for the reassuring replies chaps.

I did see those tyres on ebay. There are also some 255/55/19 111 Scorpion Zeros listed for £139. Even after delivery charges and fitting they would represent a big saving so I was tempted. But the deal is almost too good to be true. Zeros and ATR's at wholesale prices are well above those prices so the source of these tyres must at least be questionable. Maybe I am being way too suspicious - but tyres are not something I would want to take risks with when driving a car as quick but as heavy as a well loaded D4.
 Disco 4 TDV6HSE
Defender 200TDi CSW
RR Evoque 

Post #81623511th Jul 2011 10:38 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I've found no compromise's on the road between Pirelli Zero's and ATR's. If you push really hard, then I'd have to say that Zero's give a slightly superior steering feel and response. But they're softer compound, so they should. However, I didn't buy a D3 to drive like a performance car, so in normal use I really don't think you'll notice any difference.

What you will notice is that ATR's have an amazing wear rate. You should easily get 40+k miles out of a set. And off road they've never once let me down.

In the last two winters snow they performed superbly. They're not a winter/cold weather tyre, so braking distances on icy roads isn't any better. However, the tread pattern does have multiple sipes so if you drive accordingly in snowy/icy conditions they're a good compromise.

Post #81624811th Jul 2011 11:16 pm
Seeby

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Got Zero's all round but the fronts need changing. Any views on running ATRs at the front and keeping Zero's on the rear??

Post #8227573rd Aug 2011 3:48 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

This has been discussed before. The tread pattern on the ATR's isn't very aggressive, don't be fooled by that though as they're amazing off road, so it shouldn't be too bad, particulary during the summer. In wet and icy conditions I'd say it was preferable to have 4 tyres with the same pattern/behaviour.

I'm not recommending that you do, but theoretically I'd run the ATR's on the rear, as it's always best to have the most tread on the rear. Think oversteer for less tread on rear and understeer for less tread on the front. In a 2 ton D3, I'd opt for understeer anyday.

Also, on the D3 the front tyres wear faster, if the tread is low on the Scorpions, you'll get through them pretty quickly anyway, whereas the ATR's should give you well over 40k miles.

I'd personally opt for buying 4 new ATR's and sell the 2 part worns on here. They'd make ideal spares.

Post #8228003rd Aug 2011 6:13 pm
AJS4X4

United Kingdom 

He does love an ATR. Yawn

Post #8228963rd Aug 2011 10:27 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LT

Your right Andy, I'm hugely impressed by the 19" and now 18" ATR's. As are all the other users of them on this forum. But not nearly as much as you love to praise and sell GG and Vredestein tyres, now that really does deserve a Yawn

Laughing Thumbs Up

Post #8229073rd Aug 2011 11:04 pm
ridgeback_moor

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

The Transformer wrote:
seen this thread? http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic67397.html

oooops the 6 others have gone sorry

I bought 4 of them Laughing and just had them fitted to my RRS rims. I'll be swapping them over once my Wintracs are baffed out in another couple of months, then I can really compare the ATR & Wintracs for myself. The Wintracs have lasted very well - about 42000 (year round) miles now Very Happy Just as others are fitting their Winter tyres, I'm taking mine off Laughing
 Previously:
2005 D3 2.7 TDV6 S
1984 90 2.25 Petrol CSW
1992 90 200TDi Hard Top
1995 Discovery ES 300TDi
2003 90 TD5 Truck Cab

Post #8229083rd Aug 2011 11:05 pm
Pelyma

England 

I'd do like LT said, I changed over to 19" ATR and sold my zeros that still had life in them. The prices that those ATRs were being sold at makes it rude not too! My parents changed to 18" ATR about 18 moths ago, they are chuffed too Thumbs Up
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #8230264th Aug 2011 3:42 pm
Seeby

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Discovering that 18" ATRs are hard to get and some say Pirelli are not making in that size now. I have some indirect contacts at Pirelli so will try and get an official response.

Post #8234116th Aug 2011 8:56 am
DrLex

Iceland 

Seeby, have a look at this recent thread.
 Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #8234146th Aug 2011 9:27 am
Blue

I have always used Scorpion Zero all year round, and when I decided to change to ATR... nobody had them, for months. So it had to be Scorpion Zero.

Now it's time to change them again, I hope I have better luck this time and I can find some (Zaragoza, Spain).

About the Scorpion Zero, they are very good on the road. When I first drove the car in winding roads I couldn't beleive that such a heavy monster could handle almost like a sports car. The down side is the huge wear, especially with the ever increasing number or roundabouts everywhere. They usually last 25K km, that's why I have to try something else and I'm going for the ATR. I also hope they are slightly better off road.
 Blue  
Post #82781822nd Aug 2011 11:46 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >