Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Extreme Black Sludge in Intake
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
davemh_80

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
Extreme Black Sludge in Intake

Hi, hope somebody can advise. I've just gone through the EGR fault and subsequent replace both EGR on Euro4 2007 TDV6 (thanks to the great "how to" posts on this site! - sorry forgot the author). During the EGR replacement I also removed the throttle body (? not sure correct name) only to find it, the MAF, and worse, the inlet manifolds to the engine completely gunked up with black sludge. There is literally so much I can scoop big globs out using my finger. The throttle body part is easily removable for cleaning which I have done, but the inlet manifolds are not. Does anybody know if this amount of sludge is normal? And with the EGR and MAF fixed, will the sludge build up eventually clear?

Post #9623124th Aug 2012 10:32 am
disco_steve

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

The sludge is caused by the exhaust gasses being fed back into the intake via teh EGR valves (but you knew that didn't you)

The best cure is to blank the EGR's off completely, this eliminates the sudging issue once and for all
 Never get mad - get even !!

06 D3 now gone to family member and still going strong at 265k

previous vehicles:
04 D2 TD5 - (clocked 189k from new)
52 X-Trail 2.2 SVE
various euro boxes ! 

Post #9623134th Aug 2012 10:39 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
davemh_80

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

thanks disco_steve, I went the EGR replace way, because the blanking kit from BAS isnt quite ready for the 2007 model. But Im worried about all the sludge thats still in the inlet manifold. Is it ok to just leave it there (it being normal?), or would it disperse with usage now that the faulty EGR has been replaced? There's absolutely loads of it, like great dollops of black grease. And yes I knew its caused by exhaust gas feed-in, and assume the amount of gunk is due to my continuing to drive the car for a few '000 kms after the fault first appeared. Rolling Eyes

Post #9623174th Aug 2012 10:52 am
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Clean as much of the gunk out that you can, but do not leave any loose deposits, check that the crankcase breather pipe is clear, I don't know where this is located or in fact if there is one on the D3, but if the crankcase cannot breath it will force oil laden air into the inlet manifold via the EGR's. While the gunk is stuck on the sides it will not cause any problems apart from slight loss of power due to restricted airflow.
If it is as bad as you say be prepared for turbo failure Crying or Very sad Hopefully you have cought it in time.
Mix semi synthetic low ash two stroke oil in the fuel at 100:1 mix, this will help the engine burn cleaner and remove some of the deposits.
I once spent 2 days cleaning out the inlet manifold and pipes on a Freelander with a pressure washer, the amount of gunk I got out almost filled a bucket, this was caused by the crankcase filter never being changed, needless to say it needed a new turbo as well.
Blank the EGR's as soon as possible, even if it means driving with a dash light on, it's only a matter of time before the new ones fail and in the meantime they allowing more gunk through to the inlet system.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #9623284th Aug 2012 12:10 pm
garrycol

Australia 

davemh_80 wrote:
thanks disco_steve, I went the EGR replace way, because the blanking kit from BAS isnt quite ready for the 2007 model. But Im worried about all the sludge thats still in the inlet manifold. Is it ok to just leave it there (it being normal?), or would it disperse with usage now that the faulty EGR has been replaced? There's absolutely loads of it, like great dollops of black grease. And yes I knew its caused by exhaust gas feed-in, and assume the amount of gunk is due to my continuing to drive the car for a few '000 kms after the fault first appeared. Rolling Eyes

If your EGrs are serviceable you can blank the early 07My engines BUT the EGRs must be fully serviceable. If you follow the BAS blanking instructions the inlet tract is taken out to remove the butterfy and you can take this opportunity to clean the gunk out - I did mine about 3 weeks ago and also cleaned the MAP sensor. Ideally you should also blank the exhaust side of the EGRs to stop the gases still glogging the EGRs.

The gunk is caused by the serviceable EGRs not the dud EGR.

Garry

Post #9623524th Aug 2012 2:51 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >