Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

aircon fault disco 3 54plate se
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
sirmixalot71

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Keswick GreenDiscovery 3
aircon fault disco 3 54plate se

Morning all the have a new problem with my 54 plate disco 3 se. its been getting progressively worse. you put on the aircon and some times it came on straight away, then just came on whenever it felt like it sometimes half an hour up the road. now went all the way to telford and back and still not working to date, i do get the smallest of flow with econ on. i changed the in cab pollen filter at last service. Has any body had a similar problem and a possible solution.

thanks in advance john

Post #8027342nd Jun 2011 7:53 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
chocolademan

Norway 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Does the fan work when you turn it up and down manually?
 Faultmate MSV2 MultiVehicle
D3: Tailgate Actuator DIY: http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/use...IY%7E0.pdf 

Post #8027362nd Jun 2011 8:14 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
sirmixalot71

hi fella no the fan does Censored all turn it up turn it down put it on auto, nothing it all lights up as it should do but nothing. heated seats still work fine, i just manage a whisper on econ.

Post #8027382nd Jun 2011 8:22 am
chocolademan

I had exactly the same!

After the stealers had it 2 days they found it to be the relay for the fan. Changed that and its worked ever since!

Thumbs Up
D3: Tailgate Actuator DIY: http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/use...IY%7E0.pdf 

Post #8027392nd Jun 2011 8:25 am
sirmixalot71

i dont suppose you happen to know where said relay is hidden away may save me some cash if i can replace it my self!!!!!!! or the part number!!!!!!

Post #8027442nd Jun 2011 8:51 am
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Could you add more detail:

When it comes 'on' do you mean the fan, the cold air or the control panel?

Is the problem just with cold air, warm or full hot too?

Does the fan noise sound normal?

Are the symptoms the same in manual mode and auto?

Have you run the self-test diagnostic on the control panel - if so were any faults indicated, if so did the autocal recover the faults?

Can you hear the compressor noise change when you turn econ mode on and off?

Post #8027542nd Jun 2011 9:12 am
sirmixalot71

hi fella not done self test can that be done through sat nav screen? i havnt got any other diagnostic equipment. no everything was working fine upto the other day no odd noises from any where. as said before it lights up all the climate controls working, well lighting up when you move them up or down as normal just no action in the cab on hot or cold on auto or manually.

Post #8027592nd Jun 2011 9:43 am
Robbie

Ok, next step is the self test.

With ignition off press and hold the ECON & RECIRC buttons whilst turning ignition on (no need to start car).

The control module will then compare the current HEVAC actuator motor positions with the values stored in the module and will indicate an error by flashing the ECON LED.

If there are no errors, the LED will go out and the system will function normally.

To confirm that there are no errors, turn the ignition switch to the OFF position, then back to the ON position.

Observe the operation of the programmed defrost LED.

If there are errors present, the programmed defrost LED will flash and the system will attempt to calibrate itself.

Post results on here!

Do you happen to know if the aircon gas pressure has been checked or topped up?

Post #8027662nd Jun 2011 10:13 am
chocolademan

Robbie wrote:
Ok, next step is the self test.?

This was done on mine and there were no errors. Stealer said it was a real head scratcher.

As said it turned out to be the relay, 2 days job for a simple few quid for a relay Laughing

Post #8027842nd Jun 2011 11:58 am
sirmixalot71

hi all thanks for your replies. i just done the self test the econ led flashed twice still nothing. prog defrost led never lit up. iv had the car 2 years and can say whilst iv had it the gas has not been checked.

Post #8028042nd Jun 2011 1:03 pm
Robbie

Low gas pressure can trip the aircon off, as can a faulty pressure sensor. The intermittent nature of your fault could (I guess) be explained by the pressure being at or just below the minimum pressure. You could try one of those DIY aircon pressure tins (never used one myself, well not yet) but before spending £40 on one of those chocolademan's experience is worthy of an experiment.

The blower relay is in the battery junction box on the LHS of the car (the right side as you peer under the bonnet). Under the large battery cover you will find a smaller fuse box; under the lid of that there will be a key to identify the blower relay. Swop the relay for something you don't need immediately that has the same rating and markings (I think the headlight washer relay is the same). If that changes the symptoms hey presto!

There is also blower control module by the main HEVAC fan that is sometimes referred to as a relay, even though it is the BCM. That cannot be easy to get at given its location, but I have never tried!

Tell us how you get on. I chased a HEVAC issue for months as the dealer was little or no help. In my own hunt for the problem I had to learn far too much about the Disco HEVAC system. My favourite bit of the workshop manual says it all!!

Quote:
Climate Control System

Overview
The complexity of the system is such that it is broken down into sub-sections.

Post #8028122nd Jun 2011 1:42 pm
chocolademan

Wow! Your pretty well up on this issue Robbie! Bow down

Thumbs Up

Post #8028452nd Jun 2011 3:14 pm
sirmixalot71

hiya fellas aircon update for you all , thanks to both you guys for your help. indeed it was the relay at fault swopped it with headlight washer relay and ha presto! it all came back alive Thumbs Up

thanks a million john

Post #8034874th Jun 2011 3:42 pm
chocolademan

Fantastic news!!

Only glad to help! Thumbs Up
(Mines a Caffreys next time I'm passing through Romford Very Happy )

Martin Thumbs Up

Post #8034954th Jun 2011 4:54 pm
Robbie

Hey presto indeed!

Fantastic news & it is a satisfying feeling when it all comes good.

Regards to you both.

Rob
Thumbs Up

Post #8035424th Jun 2011 8:02 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >