DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Water leak into front passenger footwell
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Gouldy

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Water leak into front passenger footwell

Hi
I've just signed up to the forum having been browsing it for year for tips since getting my 06 HSE and have found out lots of useful stuff, so thought this was a good place to start for some help....

Anyway noticed today that my passenger front footwell was wet and upon lifting the carpet found a bit of a flood sloshing around. Having spent a couple of hours trying to identify where it was leaking ie, sunroof drain holes or rubber trims etc it seems to entering beneath either the bottom of the screen or via the air vent panel by the wipers. I had a new screen a few weeks ago and wonder if there are drains hidden away that the glass company may have not plugged back in properly? Also the rubber trim at the base of the screen doesn't seem to fit completely flush so is the fix as simple as having to get this trim replaced?

Appreciate any help anyone can give me on this.

Cheers

Post #95493015th Jul 2012 2:58 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Usual problem is the outer A pillar trim ... The bottom push on clip should have a rubber seal .

Your best off taking the trim off and having a look ... The windscreen people would of had to remove it
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #95495015th Jul 2012 4:22 pm
Gouldy

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Thanks, i'll have a look.

I've also now taken off the trim at the bottom of the screen and it appears that water is running off the bottom of the screen, getting under the rubber seal that runs along the whole length of it and just catching the protruding edge of the ventilation air inlet, so getting in through the pollen filter (i presume its this that i can see) housing somewhere. Should there be a cover over this ventilation inlet or is it likely that the rubber seal is knackered and just doesn't sit tight enough against the bottom of the screen?

Post #95495615th Jul 2012 4:51 pm
JDB

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Also the sun roof drain exits into the wing behind the fuse box, the tube pushes into aright anlge bend - and can come loose.....
Best way to find out which.were its coming in to lift the carpet and then dribble water over each of the options outside (low to high) andwatch for water running in.

Post #95499215th Jul 2012 6:02 pm
jhaddock

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Chawton WhiteLR3

Gouldy wrote:
Thanks, i'll have a look.

I've also now taken off the trim at the bottom of the screen and it appears that water is running off the bottom of the screen, getting under the rubber seal that runs along the whole length of it and just catching the protruding edge of the ventilation air inlet, so getting in through the pollen filter (i presume its this that i can see) housing somewhere. Should there be a cover over this ventilation inlet or is it likely that the rubber seal is knackered and just doesn't sit tight enough against the bottom of the screen?

That was exactly the way water was entering mine. I have sealed, with aluminum tape, bottom half of the freshair scoop leaving unsealed top half. Change pollen filter as it was very deteriorated. It was almost a year and car is pretty dry. Thumbs Up

Post #95514616th Jul 2012 1:19 am
cnfowler

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3

Gouldy wrote:
...so getting in through the pollen filter (i presume its this that i can see) housing somewhere...

When the water is getting in through the pollen filter, it's gonna be the wiper cowl. It's an $80 USD part and very easy to replace. Should take you around 45 minutes.

Colin

Post #95514916th Jul 2012 3:02 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >