DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Vibration from Rear of car over 60km/hr
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
7of9TOP

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Vibration from Rear of car over 60km/hr

Hi All

Firstly my apologies if this has already been covered, I have spent the last hour going over page after page of posts to see if this has already been reported, it seems there are some similar stories but none exacting to my own so hence seeking support.

So the story goes - I have an 05 V8 D3 HSE, just after easter I was involved in a car accident whereby I was rear-ended at moderate speed by a moron not paying attention, there wasn't a lot of damage to my car to be honest but a fair ammount of damage to his (as you would expect). I had the rear bumper replaced and a few other trim bits replaced and picked my car up.

The following day after I hoped on the motorway and above 80km/hr I noticed there was a vibration coming from the rear of the car, it would stay there under accelaration or if i took my foot off / brake, under 80km/hr it would stop. Since then it happens most times I go above 60km/hr however it comes and goes, sometimes it is there and other times it isnt but it seems to be getting more frequent now. There is no mechanical whine or noise that I can hear, just a slight deep grumble as i go faster.

I am hoping this is something related to the car accident, the car went back to the repairers where they inspected their work and cannot find anything and now I have it booked into an independent LR repairer next week to be properly looked over.

From looking at some of the posts on here about similar issues, it seems that it could be almost anything... but based on the above does anyone have an idea as to what it could potentially be? I did initially think the repairers has f up something with the car seeing as though it was mighty convinient the vibrations started the same day I pick the car up.... but who knows.

Appreciate any help you could provide Smile

Many thanks
Stuart

Post #81177628th Jun 2011 8:52 am
qwerty

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Hi, There are 2 big harmonic dampers under the rear of the car. If you lie on your back and look either side of where the towbar sits you will see 2 big lumps of iron attatched to the rear chassis legs. These should swing freely.

Not sure how much these effect vibration, but worth a check.

Post #81178028th Jun 2011 9:02 am
Hobgoblin

Location: As always, in the sh*t, it's only the depth that varies

Spain 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Kaikoura StoneDiscovery 4

That was my first thought also Idea
 I'm not as good as I once was........but I'm as good once as I ever was.  
Post #81178428th Jun 2011 9:13 am
7of9TOP

thanks guys, I just checkd them out and they both swing pretty freely...
would it be worth mentioning that I have done just over 94,000km's (about 58,000 miles) - i was also thinking perhaps something has decided to give up the ghost perhaps because of it's age?

I took it for another drive and deffinately cannot hear any mechanical noises at all which i would imagine would give away something in failure mode... it is deffinately coming from the rear of the car, it is violent enough that rear pieces of trim are vibrating

Post #81179328th Jun 2011 9:54 am
geoff.

England 

Hi Stuart

also check wheels and tyres make sure they are seated on the hubs properly and you havent got any bulges in the tyres , just my thoughts Thumbs Up

ps let us know how you get on

Geoff

Post #81179528th Jun 2011 10:01 am
7of9TOP

Thanks Geoff, will have another play aroud tomorrow in the daylight hours and when it is a wee bit warmer.

Really appreciate the help in trouble-shooting from everyone, i love my car and hate seeing it in a bad way... this is my 3rd disco now (D2, D2.5 and now D3) and this is the first major issue i have ever faced Smile This community is wonderful

Cheers
Stuart

Post #81184328th Jun 2011 12:09 pm
JPW

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

I'd start with a few basic things. The things I checked when mine vibrated were:

Wheel balance (have the wheel weights moved/fallen off in the accident / repair)
Are the tyres stepped?
Were the tyres fitted back onto the same side as they were taken off?

I ended up swapping the rear tyres from one side to the other and the vibration went away!

JPW

Post #81187628th Jun 2011 1:36 pm
BeeGee

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Hi, Had a similar problem of random vibration from the rear recently, similar to what you descibe and it was due to the parking brake shoes sticking on both sides. Got new brake shoes fitted about a month ago and no vibrations since then.

Post #81208128th Jun 2011 9:50 pm
7of9TOP

Thanks guys, I've inspected and done all of what you have suggested so far, the only things I havent done are a wheel balance and rotating the tires around, because she's going into the Indy on Tuesday I will leave it for them to do the dirty work, it's being paid for by the insurance company so I am not at all phased Smile. I'm not entirely certain of what the repairers did, but I don't believe they removed the wheels but then I didn't see what they were doing or did.

Keep your fingers crossed that it is infact something related to the accident and not another problem rearing it's ugly head. Once I get her back will let you know what the diagnosis is Smile

Thanks again for all of your assistance thus far... Looking forward to getting to the bottom of this... Personally I think the guys that 'fixed it' didn't do a good job as they don't even know landrovers, and it's amazingly ironic that the day I picked up the old girl she had problems... Time will tell!

Post #81241129th Jun 2011 10:43 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Are the wheel nuts tight?
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #81244430th Jun 2011 12:33 am
7of9TOP

That they are Caver... One of the first things I checked Smile

Post #81246930th Jun 2011 8:11 am
caverD3

Just found one of mine missing. Embarassed

Rear propshaft bush/bearing worn? Mine is on the way out I think but only noticable under load at >80kph.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #81248630th Jun 2011 9:30 am
7of9TOP

Oh was it causing a vibration from the rear of your disco?

Uncertain about the propshaft/ bush, tbh I'm not technically minded enough to pull things apart and diagnose, that will have to wait till Tuesday for the professional doctors to take a look Smile

Post #81281830th Jun 2011 11:07 pm
7of9TOP

The update...

So she went to my indy (ritters landrover) here in Melbourne and after having her up on the hoist for a few hours and test driving by 3 different people for over an hour - they could not create the vibration that occurs... to make this worse the damn thing was doing it ON THE WAY to them but when we took it for a test drive - nothing.

The one positive out of it is that it cannot me the drive train or gear box / transfer case dieing as it would be constantly there and not coming and going, they said it would likely be something which has come loose from the accident but they cannot find anything on inspection.

So i am left with a $160 bill and nothing to show for it! damn car...

Post #8143156th Jul 2011 12:22 am
caverD3

7of9TOP wrote:
they could not create the vibration that occurs... to make this worse the damn thing was doing it ON THE WAY to them but when we took it for a test drive - nothing.

Typical. Rolling Eyes Laughing

Just keep an ear out and see if it gets worse.
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #8143286th Jul 2011 3:24 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >