Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Servicing and parts costs of £6,692 in 60,000 miles 4 year.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
nicknick43

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Servicing and parts costs of £6,692 in 60,000 miles 4 year.

Hi all
Have had the disco since June 06 when it had done 15,000 miles. In that time we have covered 60,000 miles.
I have just totted up the servicing/parts costs(excluding tyres) for those 60,000 miles. It comes to £6,692. Is this normal?
What made me add it all up are the costs since December.
Failed alternator, 6 hours waiting for AA in minus 6. Cost, including other things such as bushes, battery, recovery....£1,259.
Service In January £739. Even then I didn't have the discs replaced, thought that to replace them for three years in a row would be 1 year too many.Also parking sensors are not working, chose not to spend the £450 to get them fixed. So really the £739 could have been c £1,300. NICE.
February, Lights would not go out, AA couldn't sort, needed a new Central Junction Box with I was told a 2-3 week wait for the part. Anyway an e-mail to Land Rover UK saw them locate the part within 3 days, £765 was the damage.
Tonight the lights once again will not go out, so will have to go back to dealer.

Only really tested its "rugged offroad abilities" twice since purchase. Both times it has failed: once through a flood that knocked out the power steering, and in December in the snow, when to be honest we could have died as alternator failure happened within 1.5 miles of warning lights coming on. We were left with no lights (including hazards) in unlit pitch black windy country road. luckily we were able to pull off the road. We were very lucky we had a place to pull in. Quite funny as I had picked up a colleague and gave him a lift to and from work because he was unable to get out of his road because of the snow. Not so funny at 11pm on Friday having left work at 4 pm on a 40 minute commute, although we did have a couple of bottles of wine and some crisps with us at the start of the journey.

Would I ever buy another Land Rover product. NO. Could I recomend one. NO. Don't get me wrong I love the way it looks, drives, fits people & kit in, its refinement etc etc etc. However from my experience it clearly is too expensive & unreliable. I no longer love my DISCO 3. It has to go.

Post #77696921st Mar 2011 7:46 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Running these cars can be a love/hate relationship. It's not fun when they love to hate you! Big Cry Big Cry

Post #77697321st Mar 2011 7:55 pm
The Transformer

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Thing is you are looking at very high running costs for any large prestige car, a customer of mine has just got rid of her 07 X5 as it was costing a fortune in repairs already (she has replaced it with an Alfa Rolling with laughter )

Post #77697821st Mar 2011 8:02 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Sounds like you need to find a good indie!

£739 for a service, £1300 for an alternator and some bushes, £450 to repair the PDC! Shocked
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #77698321st Mar 2011 8:14 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RLD
Uncle Ray 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

You should have gon to TFC
 Home of RLD Hidden winch mounts Spare wheel Locks Trailer Body Fabrication ray@rld-tech.co.uk D3/4 sump plates MY 14 sump plates and the Discovery Sport wheel protectors Discovery 5 wheel locks
more Helsport tents and other things for camping Law of Mechanical Repair:
"After your hands are coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee!" 

Post #77699521st Mar 2011 8:30 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DaveT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

For comparison, Just looked mine up in accounts.
The first 60k cost a total of £1,544.11.

discs/pads 149.84
oil 9.22
15k 294.33
30k 347.72
pads 60.44
45k 313.8
wiper blades 29.85
60k 338.91

For the next 30k miles beyond that, the only unplanned expenditure has been £85 for an EPB switch, and £40 for a PDC sensor. So nothing to complain about yet.

I don't consider it a cheap car to run, nor would I claim it to be particularly reliable, but the support of a good dealer is invaluable. Once again, Thanks Riders Landrover Thumbs Up

Our Audi A4 Cabriot 2.0Tdi over the same period has only covered 45k miles, but it's costs have been significantly higher!
 Long succession of Disco's since 2001...
SIII Lightweight - neglected & rusting. Bulkhead, A panels, vent panel & outriggers now disintegrated - Next years project! 

Post #77702121st Mar 2011 9:06 pm
disco_steve

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Just been totting up my costs for ownership Confused

Car is a 06MY and had just over 50k when purchased in Sept 09, it has now clocked an impressive 127k since then and I have spent as follow:-

First service at LR dealer 75k - £389
Bluetooth upgrade £ 350 (yeah I know - hadn't found this site then)
EPB failure - FOC under warranty
A/C leak, EGR valves failed, then blanked, steering rack and track rods replaced all FOC under warranty
Timing belt change DIY £80
ARB bushes and drop links DIY £30
Suspension fault, fitted new front valve block and wirng repair DIY £75
Breakdown on holiday in Scotland £498 !! (LR dealer) inc new battery !!
All subsequent servicing, inc oil, fluids and filters, brakes and routine checks (DIY) at every 15k for approx £400

Total £1,822 Thumbs Up

(I dread to think what that lot would have cost at a LR main dealer, given I average around 45k a year, that would be over £1k just on routine services, without the rest of the work. My 'local' dealer quoted £900 to do the timing belts, telling me it was a horrendous job, but a bit of research on here, sourcing the special pins, and a belt kit from LR and I was £820 better off, although I appreciate that not everyone would be brave enough to attempt that one, but it was actually quite easy, fiddly yes, but not 'horrendous' - any fairly competent home mechanic could do it)
 Never get mad - get even !!

06 D3 now gone to family member and still going strong at 265k

previous vehicles:
04 D2 TD5 - (clocked 189k from new)
52 X-Trail 2.2 SVE
various euro boxes ! 

Post #77706921st Mar 2011 10:20 pm
character

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

no comment regards cost but did look at it once and then had a wee little accident in me trousers Shocked

But then cross refferenced with the company books to see what income he has generated over the same period and it worked out to be around £0.1106 p per mile excluding tyres Thumbs Up

Nil depreciation at present coz its worth more for parts than second hand, however I've now got a 60 plate D4 HSE demo on me drive for the next few days whilst we have a complete gearbox put in and at £48k for this luxury vehicle..... rather pay me mortgage off thanks Whistle

Post #77734722nd Mar 2011 2:18 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Gearbox as well now! Did the Transfer box not fix theproblem before then?
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #77734822nd Mar 2011 2:21 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

I did a back of fag packet packet calculation for the 2 D3s I had for the 1st year out of warranty. Allowing for 2 x Tesco warrant and RAC recovery through Clubcard points I'm better off to the tune of £8,000. In that are 2 turbos, assorted EGRs, brake calipers, etc, etc etc. My car cost £1500 to just get it through it's MOT. As I often say, these cars can be complete cash cows. Up side, sold SWMBO s car for only £300 less than bought it for after 2 years and 28,000 miles. Mr. Green

Post #77735422nd Mar 2011 2:31 pm
character

Bodsy wrote:
Gearbox as well now! Did the Transfer box not fix theproblem before then?

Oh yea fixed that one, just that we've been having error messages from the control module from time to time and the vehicle not changing up from 1-2nd gear when pratting around the streets of the capital in heavy stop start traffic.

Given the down time cost me a fair packet, going to stick a new one in and then when he's ready to be scrapped/broken for parts, I can then have the OEM gearbox, transfer box, alternator, radiator/intercooler and anything else for the replacement d3 Thumbs Up

Post #77735522nd Mar 2011 2:32 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Ah, I sense the vultures circling already!!

Post #77735722nd Mar 2011 2:35 pm
BournevilleBazza

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto BournvilleDiscovery 4

Well having owned 90's and Discos before this one (never really having had a BAD experience) I was prepared that I might have to chuck some money at it every now and then.

Fact of the matter is i've put tyres on it, brake pads, an intercooler hose and serviced it. Thats it. Its been incredible, it really has.

Covered 107k now and she's 5 years old so no spring chicken.

I know we hear horror stories and I don't envy anyone who gets a bad one but they shouldn't all be tarred with the "oh well it IS a Land Rover" brush!

Good luck with whatever you move on to but don't expect any luxury 4x4 to be 100% reliable. Maybe you should have been a bit rougher with it!! Laughing
 If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!
2010 Discovery TDV6 HSE with a few bits and bobs on.
1986 V8 90 County
2012 Evoque TD4 (for the Mrs) and really VERY pleased!
Formerly BuckinghamBazza 

Post #77738522nd Mar 2011 4:07 pm
character

" kiss of death" you've done it now Rolling with laughter

Post #77739022nd Mar 2011 4:24 pm
character

DSL wrote:
Ah, I sense the vultures circling already!!
tell yer what, my d3 will live forever.... ok bit will then in other d3's Rolling with laughter  
Post #77739122nd Mar 2011 4:25 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >