Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Tow bar rack
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
nikademus

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4
Tow bar rack

I was looking at the bike rack from my old disco 2 and fitted it to the disco 3 with no problems - it just slides in to the 50mm/2 inch receiver and uses the same locking pin as the tow bar hitch. Then it occurred to me - you see, I want something to carry a couple of Jerry cans of diesel and a smallish camping gas bottle outside the car. I hate the idea of them being on the roof cos of the general hassle of fitting a roof rack and removing it, the weight issue and the clearance problem (try getting in to a car park with that on).

Sooo, I kinda figured that maybe you could make a slide-in-to-the-hitch type rack that would do the job. Then I found this:

Which at least proves the theory side. Has anyone tried this sort of setup and if so, what are the pro's and con's?

Or any other suggestions...

Nicko-
 Disco 2 TD5 "Good"
Disco 3 TDV6 "Better"
Disco 4 HSE SDV6 "Best"
The older I get, the better I was. 

Post #8629018th Sep 2006 1:09 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
catweasel

well a con would be your rear PDC for a start but I geuss you just switch it off, just a slight inconvenience, also maybe if you need to lower the lower half of the tailgate you will need to unpack. also, you say you will enter car parks like this to reduce the height, I'm sure your Censored end would stick out too far and might provoke an attack from some rse ole
a pro, well somewhere for the wife to sit when she gives you the sh%$s. Shocked
probably other pros but I'm being negative today Wink

Post #8631518th Sep 2006 2:05 pm
nikademus

Luckily for me I don't have a parking distance control, so that isn't an issue. My wife has one on her BMW X3 and all I use it for is playing tunes.

I am going to come up with some incredibly clever engineering solution to let me fold the back door down or alternately, live with it up when the rack is on. Maybe a swinging system or a fold down. Not sure yet. I've got a tame boilermaker who will make anything if I can design it for him.

Nicko-
 Disco 2 TD5 "Good"
Disco 3 TDV6 "Better"
Disco 4 HSE SDV6 "Best"

Post #8644219th Sep 2006 9:17 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Tony

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

You may find some conscientious plod will become agitated re the turn and tail lamps - they should be on or very close to the extremities of the vehicle.
 Ex Defender 110 200Tdi owner.  
Post #8663420th Sep 2006 12:18 am
nikademus

I was thinking that if the rack obstructed the tail lights I would add a set of trailer lights (got some LED one's sitting there) so that would overcome any visual issies with the charming staff of the constabulary.

I'm more concerned about having the think hanging out past the bumber bar and the rules pertaingiong to that. Anyone know what the aussie rules are? Specifically for the state of Victoria? (Victorian by name, Victorian by nature we like to say)
 Disco 2 TD5 "Good"
Disco 3 TDV6 "Better"
Disco 4 HSE SDV6 "Best"

Post #8943129th Sep 2006 7:46 am
disco

Any good?

http://www.thule.com/Thule/ProductDetailPage____37491.aspx

Post #8943729th Sep 2006 8:01 am
catweasel

nikademus wrote:
I'm more concerned about having the think hanging out past the bumber bar and the rules pertaingiong to that. Anyone know what the aussie rules are? Specifically for the state of Victoria? (Victorian by name, Victorian by nature we like to say)
don't know the law specifically but do see alot with wheel chairs and bike racks on the back and the odd motorbike, so don't think it would be too much of a problem. just go see your local cops and see what they say  
Post #8958929th Sep 2006 2:09 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >