DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

3 weeks in to being a first time D3 owner
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
JakobVels

Denmark 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
3 weeks in to being a first time D3 owner

Hi All.

I picked up my D3 3 weeks ago and went directly on vacation - what a great trip in our new car - I replaced my 91 V8 RR with a D3 TDV6 SE.
It runs sooo smooth and i really enjoy the comfort, what a great ride Very Happy

Now after a few weeks some questions come up....

1. Throttle lag - i have read about this in other posts. When overtaking i press acc. and it takes 1 to 2 seconds for the engine to respond and kick off - normal or should i get sw updated ? Should'nt my sw be up to date as car is produced July 06 ?

2. Mud flaps - i went on the beach and front doors and buttom rear corners were covered in dirt. also tail gets very dirty when driving at speed where road surface is dirty. Will mudflaps help keep dirt off side of car? - back of car or at least reduce ?

3. Glove compartments - Upper one, does yours close all the way itself or do you have to push it the last couple of cm's in to click closed. Lower one, does yours make a grinding noise and is it somewhat heavy to close even empty.

4. Upper tailgate - like every car door it can be stuck at half open or it can be full open and move free, does yours open to half half open too when you activate the opening actuator, or will it move free to fully open. Mine opens only half and i have to either remember to pull grip somewhat harder when opening or reactivate grip contact to fully open which irritates me.

5. Plastic exterior care - what do you do to clean and care for plastic parts, mine is allready stained by dirt and water.

6. Squeaky noice from middle of dash, like two pieces of metal rubbing - any other experienced this ?

So whats next...

Going back in next friday to get the webasto timer unit installed to get full preheat/cool functionality, and to get digital parking disc timer installed.
Also rear number plate needs to be securely refastned.

Will wax paintwork soon to get ready for winter, and will go in for full underbody and cavity rust prevention treatment start Oct.

will need to get exterior plastic parts cleaned and treated when i find out what to use.

Cheers
Jakob

Post #8425410th Sep 2006 8:14 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Hi, mudflaps will help, but not much. The rear does get very dirty, you better get used to it.

Everything else you mention is normal except the squeek. Throttle lag is better known as turbo lag, and you will get used to it. July 06 should be latest software.

Today I cleaned my car and too noticed the plastic was getting faded and discoloured. I used caravan cleaner neat with a scrubbing brush and they came up very nicely. It got the ingrained dirt out. I then finished them off with Autoglym bumper care cream.

Post #8426610th Sep 2006 8:46 pm
Hijack

Poland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Re: 3 weeks in to being a first time D3 owner

JakobVels wrote:

Will wax paintwork soon to get ready for winter, and will go in for full underbody and cavity rust prevention treatment start Oct.

The above sentence prompts quick question to owners (from prospective one Smile ): Does D3 come with any sort of underbody rust prevention treatment or this needs to be added if necessary?

Thanks
HJ

Post #8427110th Sep 2006 9:00 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

They are not as bad as earlier Land Rovers, but they still get the odd patch of surface rust underneath. Mine has a few areas where the paint is a bit thin and some rust is showing. Notably in the rear tow electrics panel, and on the front suspension upper wishbones.

If I was going to keep one for a long time, I would get it properly wax-oiled from new.

Post #8428110th Sep 2006 9:11 pm
Jamo

Australia 

JakobVels, What are your beaches like??

Ours are soft fine white sand. I've found that I have to take the mudflaps off before I go onto the beach. They are too rigid and tend to act like little sand ploughs.

They are good on rock/gravel tracks though as they do seem to protect well against stones being flung up into the sides of the car.
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #8438011th Sep 2006 5:28 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Q8_LR3

Kuwait 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Adriatic BlueLR3

Hi Jakob,

The mud flaps are great and they will decrease some dirt, but if you are a serious off-roader, they will break from the first trip, I had the 2 front flaps broken.
Everything you mentioned are normal except the squeaky noise.
And for the interior I use Meguiars products.

www.meguiars.com
 '05 LR3 HSE V8 - Adriatic Blue - Larini Exhaust System - Lamp Guards - Dual battery system - Hidden 12k winch - Rasta Sump Guard  
Post #8438311th Sep 2006 7:13 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JakobVels

Denmark 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Jamo wrote:
JakobVels, What are your beaches like??

In summer when hot and dry - somewhat Soft sand but not deep and "dune like" - except if you drive in the dunes but i dont .-)
At times when wet - hard, muddy, rugged.
Where i was on Rømø (island on west coast) the beach is a kilometer wide and flat.

I would'nt go places where i went deeper than the mudflaps with susp. on high.

i usually go on the beaches to fly kites.

i wish i had the mudflaps last week on the beach - i went through a line of black rotten seaweed (i thought) - it turned out that a Censored ship had dumped some oil and the stuffi got in my wheelarches, under the car, all over the plastic, up the door sides and all the way up on top of the bonnes was oil lumps with sand embedded. Evil or Very Mad It took me and the wife ½ a day to remove and get the car looking decent again.

Hijack wrote:

The above sentence prompts quick question to owners (from prospective one Smile ): Does D3 come with any sort of underbody rust prevention treatment or this needs to be added if necessary?

Yes there is some basic underbody coating, but here in Denmark we have the most car-hostile corrosive environment in the world due to temperature/humidity (dew point) and the fact that all winter our cars are literally covered white in salt.
We definately need more rust prevention here.
The product LR uses is wax based so use wax based supplement, not oil based.
The galvanized body will only offset normal rusting by 3 years in our climate.

Cheers
Jakob

Post #8448211th Sep 2006 1:31 pm
tony bennett

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Q8_LR3 wrote:
Hi Jakob,

The mud flaps are great and they will decrease some dirt, but if you are a serious off-roader, they will break from the first trip, I had the 2 front flaps broken.

Hi Q8-LR3,

Have a look here
http://www.fag.hiof.no/~frodehaa/disco.html
It may or may not be of interest to you. If it is, it will require slight re - engineering.
 regards
tony
05 "Battlestar Galactica"
In 7 years ownership
09/13 New Battery (I did that)
11/13 new alternator. (I did that)
2 x EGR Blanked. (I did that ) 

Post #8450611th Sep 2006 2:19 pm
Q8_LR3

Kuwait 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Adriatic BlueLR3

tony bennett wrote:

Hi Q8-LR3,

Have a look here
http://www.fag.hiof.no/~frodehaa/disco.html
It may or may not be of interest to you. If it is, it will require slight re - engineering.

Thanks Toni, I think that I will stay with my stock ones, these are ugly Smile
Thanks any way for the useful link Wink
 '05 LR3 HSE V8 - Adriatic Blue - Larini Exhaust System - Lamp Guards - Dual battery system - Hidden 12k winch - Rasta Sump Guard  
Post #8471112th Sep 2006 6:53 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >