Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Wheels & Tyres

To those running General Grabber UHPs this Winter...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
pagoda

Canada 2016 LR4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteLR4
To those running General Grabber UHPs this Winter...

...how are they?

First, I get the whole 'Winter tyres are much more than snow tyres' thing, but alas I can't get Winter tyres in 18" for my rims, and I need something rather urgently.

I've found General Grabber UHPs in 18" for about £120 fitted locally, which seems OK. The only other tyres I can get are Scorpions (same price) and Marshal KL51.

I am replacing Scorpions and don't like them. Never heard of Marshal and can't find much info on the net, so they're out, too. (Although the guy told me they should last 35-40K miles!)

The UHP tread pattern seems pretty funky, and I wondered if anyone had any feedback on them in these cold conditions. How are they in a bit of snow and what's the braking like on cold roads?

Thanks for the advice on the Wintrac thread, BTW. Just couldn't get them for the money I had (£730+ for 4 was too steep).
 PAGODA  
Post #73170814th Dec 2010 10:53 pm
robsmith

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

First, they are not a winter tyre, but an "all season" tyre, which is what I wanted.

They coped well with the last snow fall while it was fresh, and when it was slushy. I managed to induce a slide on wet ice, but then just about everything short of a studded tyre will slide on that stuff, and a few minutes later I inverted myself when walking back across he same car park (dignity only hurt)....

Its hard to compare them with the AT2s I had on as those were in the "well worn" camp, but I do notice they are quieter on motorways than the AT2s. Ride is a bit smoother, not sure if that's because I've dropped the pressures down to "unloaded" levels rather than "fully laden pack animal" that I was running just before removing the AT2s or the UHPs have a less rigid sidewall.

If you have them fitted do make sure they are put on the right way round as they are a uni-directional tyre, I know someone with a B** X* who had them fitted wrongly and life was "interesting" at the first roundabout he tried to hoon it on in the wet......
 Rob Smith
Silver rools OK

Post #73183215th Dec 2010 9:43 am
simoniz

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I was running mine albeit 20's till about 4-5 weeks ago but took them off as at the beginning of the year when the whole country was in the grip of snow & ice I had some dodgy moments on them TBH. Away from snow & ice love them and will be back on them in all probability next spring.

Thumbs Up

Post #73189315th Dec 2010 11:58 am
pagoda

Canada 2016 LR4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteLR4

For the record....

I had the UHPs on for a day, but only because just after I'd put them on I got a too good to refuse offer of 4 x Conti WinterContacts on HSE rims. I had the UHPs on yesterday and was in the car most of the day in quite a lot of snow; motorways, A and B roads. I have to say that first impressions were very good. Using special programmes and taking it easy, the car got up very steep hills and down t'other side without any problems. The tyres are very quiet and give a great ride. For what they offer at under £500 all in, I'm a fan.

However, putting the Contis on this morning was a huge difference on the snow. Hardly any special DSC or ABS. Now totally sold on Winters, but the UHP seems very good indeed for a road tyre.
 PAGODA  
Post #73422319th Dec 2010 10:14 pm
robsmith

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Thanks for the real world comparison. Maybe next year I'll be able to afford a set of winter tyres and rims.....
 Rob Smith
Silver rools OK

Post #73423519th Dec 2010 10:25 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >