Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

DIY Fitting of Accessories
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
cheddarwards

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
DIY Fitting of Accessories

After reading numerous posts on here regarding how easy it is to fit your own accessories I have decided to give it a go myself.

My HSE is due on the 1st Sept & I have already purchased front & rear light guards & side steps to go on her.

I have read that I may have problems with clips breaking when I pull off the headlights and or doorsills. Should I purchase a selection of the above clips just in case?

Anything else to watch out for?

Time wise, do I need to take a week off of work to do the above (not that that would be a bad thing - just me & the disco for a week)

Post #8043824th Aug 2006 8:28 pm
DiscoStu

England 

The sidesteps took me around 3 hours to fit. One of the clips from the sill fixing broke (out of about 15 odd). If the dealer's got some, it wouldn't hurt to get a handfull.

Other advice - you don't need to be precise when cutting out the sills. Better to give yourself a bit of play than cut exactly on the marked lines.

Have fun!
 Disco 5 HSE Lux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peyiqaJrmMU 

Post #8044224th Aug 2006 8:52 pm
simkna

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

I have just fitted my head and tail lamp guards tonight - or almost.

The front ones were quite straightforward. Only addition I made was attaching some black foam tape to the brackets to protect the paintwork.

Two problems with the rear ones - I thought the silicone sealant mentioned in the instructions would be included. It was not, and had to tear my shed apart looking for some. Also, I could not find my 7mm drill bit. Ended up using a 7.5mm. As a result, the inserts are a bit loose, so I'm having to wait for the silicone to dry (will give it 24hrs) before I finish mounting the guards. If the silicone doesn't hold sufficiently, I will have to consider some form of glue instead, but I think (hope) it should be O.K.

Si.
 Pat's Van
D3 TDV6 S Auto
Rimini Red / Alpacca Leather

Post #8044624th Aug 2006 9:00 pm
DrLex

Iceland 

A week off is good for any reason. I suspect you'll do the fitting well within a day; I did the steps in just over a a couple of hours and I'm not a particularly practical person. The instructions are a bit IKEA like, albeit with no text (saves on paying translators, I guess). For the steps, you'll need a tool to cut through the plastic cill trim reasonably neatly, and given their size and shape, a workbench and clamp or a helper makes the job easier.

Other tip I'd give is when you put on the 3 metal brackets (onto which the steps fit), just do the fixings up finger-tight so as to allow easy adjustment when offering the step up prior to full tightening.
 Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #8044724th Aug 2006 9:05 pm
simkna

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

simkna wrote:
As a result, the inserts are a bit loose, so I'm having to wait for the silicone to dry (will give it 24hrs) before I finish mounting the guards. If the silicone doesn't hold sufficiently, I will have to consider some form of glue instead, but I think (hope) it should be O.K.

Silicone was useless. You could just pull the inserts out even when dry.
Threw the std LR inserts in the bin, and borrowed the Rivnut kit from work. It's now a proper job, and is how it should be done in the first place (but I guess everybody doesn't have access to Rivnuts).

Lamp guards looking good. Thumbs Up

Si.
 Pat's Van
D3 TDV6 S Auto
Rimini Red / Alpacca Leather

Post #8059625th Aug 2006 1:25 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >