DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Rear window blind or tinting for security
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
dc-99

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Rear window blind or tinting for security

Hi,

I have a comercial version just brought of a D3. (Commercial - blanked of windows on the rear windows and the rear doors, basicly turned into a van).

I have noticed that it is quite easy to see into the interior of the D3 from the rear tailgate window, which is not tinted or darken in any way.

As I will be carrying my laptop in the rear I consider it a security issue to have the rear window tinted or a blind of some sort fitted.

I basicly want to be able to see out with the rear view mirror but don't want anyone to see in the rear window.

My versioon does not come with a tonnage cover and anyway as there are no rear seats (no second or third row) the tonnage cover wouldnot cover the whole load compartment.

Can any one point me in the direction of a web site that sells a self fitting tailgat window blind? I don't really want to tint the window and certianly don't want to use the 'one-way' mirror film - I think it would look tacky.

any alternative suggestions for me?

Thanks in advance

dc-99

Post #7949819th Aug 2006 7:23 pm
bkehoe

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Some people I know with commercials got the rear window tinted - arranged by the dealer, and it looks perfect, not obvious at all, and quite difficult to see in as a result.

You could get the dog guard and the rear loadspace cover to divide the loadspace into 2, and blocking things from prying eyes. You could put anything heavy in the rear 'section' then, so potentially less things to kill you in a crash then, e.g. a big hammer from a toolcase or something. Wink
 IE - 05 D3 TDV6 HSE - Zambezi Silver
SA - 07 VW Golf TDI - White - Sold! 

Post #7954019th Aug 2006 11:53 pm
d3matt

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I use my D3 for work and carry tools, laptop etc in the back. I got the tailgate and rear windows tinted with the darkest tint available (limo black) and the rear doors done with one shade lighter (which is still slightly darker than the factory privacy glass).
The result looks great and is very hard to see inside.

Matt  
Post #7954120th Aug 2006 12:21 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BarryG

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi Again Dc-99

i had the panels removed from the back windows (commercial like yours) and then
had the sides and back windows tinted out with the darkest tint I could find , looks the same as D3matt (limo black) in doing this , I lost that "van" look and the inside is way brighter now, its also safer now as I can see over my shoulder when pulling out or overtaking ,

I'm a computer engineer by trade so you could imagine the type of gear I have in the back of the D3, with this level of tint I find the security fine (i.e. you cant see in that much)

Barry

Post #7956320th Aug 2006 12:30 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bkehoe

Barry, had they not covered the glass in black paint? This is how any commercials I've seen have been done, and removing it is a nightmare.

The panels actually mess up the radio reception, which has led to some dealers putting an external aerial on the roof, which looks rather ugly imho. You can reconnect the window antennas quite easily if the panels have been removed.

Post #7957320th Aug 2006 1:52 pm
dc-99

ah.

bkehoe, you have maybe sorted a problem for me.

I have just posted in another section about the bad reception I get from my radio.

Have they actually disconnected the antenne when they put in the blanking panels?

the receprion is s**t on the basic radio i got with the car.

suggestions on solveing this? or can i 'force' the dealer to rectify the issue?

Post #8004422nd Aug 2006 9:30 pm
dc-99

Sorry bkehoe, forgot to add this-

My comm, has panels fitted inside untouched and clear windows, both rear doors and the rear windows.

Post #8004922nd Aug 2006 9:49 pm
bkehoe

dc, saw and replied to the other thread before seeing this, so have a glance over at that.

Seems like there's some differences in the commercial conversions as to what they're doing - maybe they dont bother painting the windows any more. But as far as I know, in the commercials, the standard antenna is disconnected - it was in christylers and alintons ones anyway. Try removing the panel at least and see if it makes any difference. In my hse the radio reception is excellent and I've been in commercials with the standard antenna reconnected and it's perfect too. I'd definatly check to see if the standard antenna has been disconnected.

Post #8008323rd Aug 2006 12:21 am
dc-99

Just an update.

Reported the bad reception to the dealer.
He said that the first lot of the commercials had the same problem. Mine is supposed to have been 'cured' of the issue as it was a later batch of commercial conversions.

He had no hesitation is saying they would sort it. Going in Friday afternoon for an external arial to be fitted (not sure I am too pleased about the roof line being disrupted - but then again it's not exactly a Ferrari !! They are supposed to be fitting a bee sting or slightly longer radio antenna - so it might actuall look class (I hope)

I have noticed (when polishing the roof) that there is already a plastic blanking plate mounted at the rear in the centre of the roof - is this supposed to be for an external arial (as against the window ones) or is it the position for an external GPS antenna?

Regards

Post #8126229th Aug 2006 7:31 pm
bkehoe

I think the bee sting aerials look stupid on them tbh, especially as any I've seen have been at the front of the roof. Have you checked to see if the window antenna is connected or not?

The cover at the back is where the 'pod' goes. This is used for the PTI (phone aerial) in EU markets, and also as the satellite radio aerial in the USA. You can see it on mine in the pics in my gallery.

Post #8126629th Aug 2006 7:47 pm
dc-99

hi,

It's not quite a Bee sting - it supposed to be about 6 inches long.
I have seen it on another car (not a D3) in the dealers garage.

I reckon it might be ok as the roof is so high you won't see it except from the rear. I hope.

That reminds me - I certianlt don't want it mounted on the front ot the D3 over the driver/passenger seats.

I must say it to them about getting it mounted on the rear of the roof where that blanking plate is. Then it might not look so stupid.

Regards.

Post #8134030th Aug 2006 8:25 am
bkehoe

Havent seen any rear mounted ones, I suppose it'd look fine there. Smile But it does look stupid when at the front, which is where any I've seen have been.

Post #8148730th Aug 2006 10:25 pm
tlt

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3
tinting

I super professional tinter can do it up. You might also consider additional tinting on the roof windows, I did mine in silver, in addition to the darkest legal tinting on everything but the windscreen. I'll post a picture, have to take it first.

Post #820952nd Sep 2006 12:39 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >