Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

LAND ROVER STEEL PROTECTION BAR
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
ian mac

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
LAND ROVER STEEL PROTECTION BAR

I have ordered the lr bar with purchase.On site pictures and chat seem to be less than impressed with the support bolts.Is this something that can be fixed?Is this lack of strength because of the air bags?.Also note that the plastic panel at the bottom front can be replaced with a metal plate.Any one purchased it & is it any use for protection? ian

Post #7944819th Aug 2006 12:14 am
catweasel

Re: LAND ROVER STEEL PROTECTION BAR

read Slimers post.
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/post57928.html#57928
best I can do I'm afraid,as for the bash plate do a search as there is many types available Wink

Post #7955720th Aug 2006 11:36 am
munarin

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I ordered one and fitted it myself. You drill through the bumper and will see where the pre-existing holes are for the bar. My advise is be very careful as the holes have the nuts tac welded on the inside of the chassis bar. Just before tightening some downwards pressure was applied to mine and it broke the welds. Next thing you know the whole front end of the car was off to try and get access to the box section that had the nuts on it. Once I had it off I upgraded the bolts and nuts to high tensile twelve mm ones and have had no trouble since.

The other concern is that there is no where to mount some spot lights apart from using the factory brakets so I manufactured three brackets and welded them onto the bar. Once that was done had it powder coated and is as good as new with 3 hella spotties mounted.

Hope that made sense! cant help with the lower cover sorry, took mine off.

Post #7989322nd Aug 2006 8:20 am
ian mac

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
re.land rover bar

Thanks guys for the input.I will have to a good think about whether to mess with the fittings or not.I hope the bar doesn,t decide for me by falling off.Now i will add fitting lights to the list.Even the dealer agreed the lr lights are overpriced.Not sure about the quality? ian

Post #7991822nd Aug 2006 11:35 am
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

the standard top mounts are pretty crap, I think they've done it like that to maintain airbag operation by means of the impact sensors. I've changed mine & Slimers to M10 stainless studding, which has proved to be capable of taking a good bash without demounting the bar.
The Lightforce driving lamps are good, although the wiring out of the fitting leaves something to be desired Rolling Eyes nothing that can't be improved with some heatshrink tube though Wink

Post #7992022nd Aug 2006 11:40 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
tlt

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3
protection

In another post under this category, you'll find my comments. This is a brush gaurd only, it has NO strength at all, I easily completely destroyed my first one, made the mistake of assuming it was strong.. it is not. Side Bar protection is also very week, so my guess is, be carefull, and don't hit anything. Sure it serves a purpose, protection of the body, but the cost is the gaurd.

todd

Post #821732nd Sep 2006 8:06 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Re: protection

tlt wrote:
Sure it serves a purpose, protection of the body, but the cost is the guard
Isn't that the function of protective guards? in this case side bars and front A bar - to be sacrificial to protect the vehicle behind it? If it's too strong, the energy of the impact will be transferred to the mountings and the mounting point onto the vehicle, thereby damaging the first point that is not capable of dissipating or transferring that energy...
Personally, i'd rather replace the rock sliders or A bar than the panels they protect Wink

Post #823313rd Sep 2006 9:13 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >