Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

ECU Remap result.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
simkna

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3
ECU Remap result.

I have always felt that the TDV6 engine in the D3, both the ones I test drove and my new D3 are great, except for two things. That initial delay that can happen when you put your foot down at a junction / roundabout, and the general feeling of sluggishness or lethargy up to about 30-40 mph. Sure, they would just about go OK if you stomped on it, but coming from a background of performance cars, it always felt like there was a anchor holding me back. I knew it wouldn't be enough for me. Had I not driven PaulB's remapped RRS, I would never have placed my order for a D3, but I knew that all the shortcomings could be resolved.

So...

Today I popped into JE in Coventry and had my D3 remapped. Whilst they were at it, they also installed my Permagrin. This is how all D3's should come from the factory. To all those who think that a standard TDV6 is fine, especially since the enhancement, well, I'm sorry, but you're just plain wrong. Even if the remap didn't make it any quicker, it would still be worth it for the extra driveability, but the fact that the performance is increased just turns it into a different car.

To all those teetering on the edge, or even some of who who had dismissed the idea, I urge you to reconsider. Find the money from somewhere - anywhere, and just do it. It's a shame there are so many people out there who just don't know what they are missing, and get to experience what a great vehicle a remapped D3 is.
It's obviously too early yet for me to comment on any changes in fuel economy, positive or otherwise, but any improvement would be a secondary reason for the remap for me. (though of course it would be nice).

Si. (Pat's swapped Jess the cat for a Cheshire cat).
 Pat's Van
D3 TDV6 S Auto
Rimini Red / Alpacca Leather

Post #757233rd Aug 2006 6:27 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 
Re: ECU Remap result.

simkna wrote:
To all those who think that a standard TDV6 is fine, especially since the enhancement, well, I'm sorry, but you're just plain wrong.

Oh well.....me & LR wrong again Rolling Eyes Still....... £600 odd quid better off though eh Very Happy
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #757283rd Aug 2006 6:55 pm
simkna

I know I came across as very black and white there, and of course, everybody's entitled to their opinion, and to do what they feel is best for them. However, I feel that to not at least try a remapped D3 is to not know what you are missing. If you try it, and don't think it's worth it, or are unhappy about the warranty or insurance implications, then fair enough.

Si. (with new happy, waving avatar)
 Pat's Van
D3 TDV6 S Auto

Post #757373rd Aug 2006 7:39 pm
PaulB

United Kingdom 

Very black & white, but I agree entirely Wink
If you haven't tried a re-mapped D3 or RRS, you really don't know what you're missing. It's how the car should have come from LR.

I think that JE and other reputable companies will allow you to trial the upgrade. If you like it, you pay, if not, they put it back to standard again.

If you're towing anything reasonably heavy i.e. horsebox, large caravan, boat etc. the arguement becomes even more compelling. Trying to pull out onto a busy roundabout in a standard car whilst towing, can be a scary exercise. Re-mapped, no problem at all Smile

You've very likely spent somewhere between £30-50k, depending on what you have and an extra £600 is a drop in the ocean, given the clear benefits and improvements. Money very well spent IMO.

Paul

Post #757403rd Aug 2006 7:51 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 
!

Sorry guys Embarassed ...I'm a bit tongue in cheek...I agree we all want our motors to be 'better' in some shape or form.

What I can't get my dunce like brain around is ....if its that much smoother, if its more economical, if it's faster....then why don't LR sell it like that. I don't get it.

What are the downers here and don't tell me there aren't any...is it emiissions, is it engine life, what?? Certainly warranty and insurance issues are a concern to some. The answer no doubt you'll tell me is 'who cares', nobody died, who will know....and I agree... who cares?

Some of us are perfectly happy with it already..... and if LR can make it even better then...great ! ..but I'm sure as hell not paying for it. Very Happy
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #757463rd Aug 2006 8:55 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I suspect that LR detune them to allow for differences in fuel and oil quality around the world. We benefit from some of the best in the UK (I should hope so with the prices we pay!) but in other regions they're not so lucky (the different servicing schedules around the world are an example of this) and an engine run at higher performance levels could suffer
 The End  
Post #757473rd Aug 2006 9:06 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

DG, that's what choice is all about, if the difference wasn't significant, then the market rate would be a lot lower than £600-ish... a word of warning though, if you're happy with your (engine's) performance, DON'T drive a TC'd or JE'd Disco3 - ever Wink

Post #757593rd Aug 2006 9:43 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I'm more than happy with the TDV6 since I had the remap many months ago... yes extra oomph is always nice. Of course it is.

Once the D3 is up and going I find it more than capable of slipping into speeds that belie its size and weight. You still have to anchor up at the corners though as this thing is not a sports car Shocked

Sure... if someone said "hey Simon, here it is for free" I would get it done. And I would be shouting its amazingness. But I agree with DG... not paying hundreds for something that will just add a bit more cream on top of an already very capable motor.

I drove a JE re-mapped D3 (it pulls very well - agreed), but since the re-map and at 45K miles, the engine in my D3 feels more than torquey enough.

Si... enjoy and yes I am envious, but £500-600 for a bit more pep ??? Too much for me mate.

cheers

-s

Post #757613rd Aug 2006 9:55 pm
simkna

simon wrote:
Si... enjoy and yes I am envious, but £500-600 for a bit more pep ??? Too much for me mate.

A bit more than even £600 I'm afraid. Crying or Very sad

But the way I figure it is I'm already into it for 30-odd grand, a few more hundred won't make much difference, and it's small change compared to what some people spend on accessories. Besides, I saved money on some other bits by buying from ebay, rather than factory ordering them.

At the end of the day, for me personally, I think it's very cheap if it gives me a level of performance I can live with.

Si.
 Pat's Van
D3 TDV6 S Auto

Post #757653rd Aug 2006 10:10 pm
dylansdad

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

so what is the difference between the turbochip and JE options?
 2004 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi Silver  
Post #757663rd Aug 2006 10:20 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Si, hats off mate and as I said... enjoy, envious and not got the wonga to do same... but not disappointed with what I've got. Which is worth quite a bit these days Wink

Would relish a go in yer motor one day - specially if its a manual Smile

Post #757683rd Aug 2006 10:24 pm
simkna

dylansdad wrote:
so what is the difference between the turbochip and JE options?

Probably not a lot. They are both well respected companies with many happy customers. I can give the reasons I personally chose JE though;

History / experience - JE have been tuning LR products for longer than anybody, and LR tuning / modification is pretty much all they do.
Locality - they are very handy for me.
Recommendation - I had personal recommendation of their work, and had driven and passengered for hundreds of miles in one of their remapped vehicles.
Current (ongoing?) instability / wrangling at TC.

TC on the otherhand have more experience of tuning many different diesel engines, and are slightly cheaper.

It's a bit of a coin toss really, I just went with what felt best for me.

Si.
 Pat's Van
D3 TDV6 S Auto

Post #757703rd Aug 2006 10:46 pm
dylansdad

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

thanks,

I just wondered if there was more to it than the remap.
 2004 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi Silver  
Post #757733rd Aug 2006 11:00 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Ahhhhh ...a communal mass debate .....thats what I like to see Wink

Alright ..Alright .....If it goes anything like the RRsport supercharged ..I have it done OK Shocked Rolling Eyes Very Happy
Post #757753rd Aug 2006 11:06 pm
norto

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

si
please keep us posted on any changes to fuel economy

if any one else had had a long term JE remap can you post
your fuel figures

and maybe the same for a TC'd car

norto

Post #757944th Aug 2006 5:22 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>