Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

ECU Remap result.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
norto

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

why would tell tell the insurance company its been remapped Question Question Question
norto

Post #758924th Aug 2006 1:17 pm
PaulB

United Kingdom 

dylansdad wrote:
Laughing bl**dy RS owners lurking on D3 forum.....confusing the issue Rolling Eyes Wink

Sorry Embarassed I wasn't trying to confuse, but as they're fundamentally the same car, I thought the information would be useful for comparative purposes.

BTW, mine's an auto as are all RRS's.

Paul

Post #758954th Aug 2006 1:25 pm
norto

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

paul
thats pretty good fuel economy
i tow a 1000kg camper and im lucky to get 17mpg
peter

Post #758974th Aug 2006 1:29 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

norto wrote:
why would tell tell the insurance company its been remapped Question Question Question
norto

Norto, UK insurers will do anything to get out of a claim, this gives them a great out. Wife's an ex claims adjuster so knows it's not worth the risk, especially if you have a big 3rd party claim.

Post #758994th Aug 2006 1:35 pm
Andy4467

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Much as I am not averse to increased performance, I don't believe you get something for nothing - does a fuel remap in itself make a massive amount of difference in performace -particularly on a 2.5 tonne vehicle - or is it all down to an increase in boost pressure?
An increase in boost pressure will inevitably have an effect on the life expectancy of engine and drive train components, hence why LR supply the vehicle with the performance it has. I know there will be a margin to allow for variables however I don't won't mine to be marginal as far as reliability is concerned.
All this is fine if you don't plan to keep the car for long, but I wouldn't want my warranty to be invalidated if the clutch failed or a diff broke up! Wink
 Some say the glass is half full. Others that it is half empty. I say 'Are you drinking that?"

Cairns Blue, Ebony Leather, SE
BMW 320d M sport 

Post #759144th Aug 2006 3:12 pm
bobbycrispbox

Australia 
Re: ECU Remap result.

simkna wrote:
This is how all D3's should come from the factory. To all those who think that a standard TDV6 is fine, especially since the enhancement, well, I'm sorry, but you're just plain wrong. Even if the remap didn't make it any quicker, it would still be worth it for the extra driveability, but the fact that the performance is increased just turns it into a different car.

I decided to celebrate my car's 2 month birthday with a little present from Coventry this morning. I've only done 140 miles since the remap, so it's early to tell, but I don't seem to be finding the 'night & day' improvement that everyone seems to shout about.

Don't get me wrong, there's an improvement, and I won't be returning the beast to JE to get them to remove the upgrade, but somehow I was expecting... more. Sad

They did the before and after 0-60 test, and I think they said it was 9.8 before and 8.7 after. (I wasn't concentrating.) They said that the car must have been a 'good one', and I think this is probably why I'm not overwhelmed by the change. Do you think, as LR tweak/improve the output from their factory that the returns from the remaps are going to diminish?

As for economy, I did not like what I saw on the M6 after the upgrade - the mpg struggled up to 27.5 and didn't get any higher (compared to 28.9 on the way down). I know going North is uphill and all that Wink but I was hoping I'd see an immediate improvement with similar motorway driving home. I'll reserve judgement on this front until I've done another 6000 miles.

Post #7736710th Aug 2006 3:52 pm
PaulB

United Kingdom 

I suspect your "before" 0-60 time is somewhat optimistic. The factory claim 11.7 secs and if you were indeed getting a time of 9.8 secs. that would explain the relatively small improvement.
However, that does beg the questions as to why your car was so much faster than it should have been in standard form Confused
Your new time of 8.7 secs. is very nearly as quick as the V8, which can't be bad.

Paul

Post #7737010th Aug 2006 4:12 pm
LRtuning

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

During my time at Turbochip I've never seen a sub 10 sec 0-60 on a 'standard' TDV6 engine. I'm sure JE did their stuff but I reckon the times they gave you were probably more like 12 seconds 0-60 standard and sub 10 seconds after their remap.

Dont be disappointed just remember you have have a 2.7 ton car and taking even a second off the 0-60 is an achievement in itself Smile
 Money talks.Sex sells.Mud sticks.Time flys. Censored happens.People talk.Impressions last!  
Post #7740610th Aug 2006 6:03 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
dylansdad

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I did note that JE's literature on their upgrade pays far less emphasis on improving mpg as opposed to the turbochip option.

I wonder if there are different approaches to their programming which makes the TC version better at economy?
 2004 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi Silver  
Post #7742710th Aug 2006 8:19 pm
SuperMan

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

after our JE re-map our MPG on the road home was well low.

However pleased report it is now up to a average of 31.5mpg Very Happy

we didn't get a before and after check never thought to ask. Rolling Eyes
 F&M  
Post #7742810th Aug 2006 8:26 pm
simkna

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

My average MPG since JE remap is 24.5mpg, however, apart from the 20 miles back from Coventry this has all been around town, and no doubt has some "spirited testing" dragging the average down a bit. I hope to take it on a bit of a run this weekend to see how she fares on a longer trip.
Unfortunately, pretty much all my milage from new to chip was longer distance motorway stuff, so don't really have a before / after comparison yet.

Si.
 Pat's Van
D3 TDV6 S Auto
Rimini Red / Alpacca Leather

Post #7743310th Aug 2006 9:05 pm
LRtuning

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

dylans dad,

Whilst at TC we spent a lot more time on injector timing rather than fuel pressure as this is the key to extra torque Smile
 Money talks.Sex sells.Mud sticks.Time flys. Censored happens.People talk.Impressions last!  
Post #7746611th Aug 2006 12:38 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
catweasel

LRtuning wrote:
we spent a lot more time on injector timing rather than fuel pressure
so does this affect the longevity of the turbo AFAIK increased pressure shortens the life of a turbo  
Post #7747911th Aug 2006 7:00 am
PaulB

United Kingdom 

Chris,
I'm guessing here, but I wouldn't have thought fuel pressure was much of an issue with modern common rail type diesel engines, which already work on huge pressure...or am I missing something.
Paul

Post #7748511th Aug 2006 7:29 am
JE Engineering

United Kingdom 
Re: ECU Remap result.

bobbycrispbox wrote:
simkna wrote:
This is how all D3's should come from the factory. To all those who think that a standard TDV6 is fine, especially since the enhancement, well, I'm sorry, but you're just plain wrong. Even if the remap didn't make it any quicker, it would still be worth it for the extra driveability, but the fact that the performance is increased just turns it into a different car.

I decided to celebrate my car's 2 month birthday with a little present from Coventry this morning. I've only done 140 miles since the remap, so it's early to tell, but I don't seem to be finding the 'night & day' improvement that everyone seems to shout about.

Don't get me wrong, there's an improvement, and I won't be returning the beast to JE to get them to remove the upgrade, but somehow I was expecting... more. Sad

They did the before and after 0-60 test, and I think they said it was 9.8 before and 8.7 after. (I wasn't concentrating.) They said that the car must have been a 'good one', and I think this is probably why I'm not overwhelmed by the change. Do you think, as LR tweak/improve the output from their factory that the returns from the remaps are going to diminish?

As for economy, I did not like what I saw on the M6 after the upgrade - the mpg struggled up to 27.5 and didn't get any higher (compared to 28.9 on the way down). I know going North is uphill and all that Wink but I was hoping I'd see an immediate improvement with similar motorway driving home. I'll reserve judgement on this front until I've done another 6000 miles.

Where our 0-60 timer lacks in accuracy it makes up for it in consistancy, every standard fitted D3 i have done has been around 10s give or take 0.3s.
Also 8.7 is slightly better than average for a tuned D3 on this timer, the difference is what we are looking at mainly too be sure that the tune is working correctly.
I usually explain this if the customer asks what the times were however i forgot too this time, i opologize for any missunderstanding caused.

Post #7750111th Aug 2006 8:23 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >