Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

TV Function
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
oliver77

Wales 
TV Function

I have had my new D3 HSE for a month now and have read the thread about a TV function being available for 2007 Model Year. I missed this as many Volvo's with Sat Nav have it and it's great when you're waiting for the wife at shopping parks etc.

Does anyone know if this is something that my dealer will be able to fit to my 2006 Model Year?

I have seen that there is a system that someone else sells for about £800 but as it's not a Land Rover part I'm reluctant to have it fitted.

Post #7443430th Jul 2006 4:52 pm
Mossy

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hi Oliver77,

The 2007 handbook is available on http://www.ownerinfo.landrover.com and along with it is the literature for the 2007 model entertainment system; it clearly describes the addition of a digital / analogue TV system. This does not however mean it will necessarily appear when the production model arrives as specs do change (typre pressure monitors/ fuel burning heater with timer etc).

I'm no expert, but the third party device you've heard of is by a company called Nav-TV. I have one fitted. It basically fools the system into believing the TV module is present giving all the necessary icons and such. Not perfect, but works. Being able to fool the system suggests that the TV module could be retrofitted, but, again I'm no expert.

The next issue is cost - if it's an LR OEM retrofit then the £800 option might actually seem like a bargain.

My car goes into the dealer's on Thursday and we've had much discussion about fitting the new RR Tv modul to mine. I'll see if they know anything and post.

Sorry, cant be more help.
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #7443730th Jul 2006 5:16 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
oliver77

Wales 

Thanks Mossy, I'll be interested to hear what you learn from your dealer.

Cheers

Post #7443830th Jul 2006 5:18 pm
Mossy

Addendum to previous post:

I believe the TV antennas are already present on the rear window, just like the FM radio antennas - that wire on the glass. I guess they would just need connecting up, which simplifies one part of the installation. I also recall reading that the system is designed to be upgradeable, both software and functionality, as LR has invested quite a bit on it. The US for example have a satellite radio module available, which suggests that a UK DAB version should be possible.

Most of us would appreciate a decent iPOD interface and / or the ability to display the 'tag' information from the mp3 disks we burn.
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #7443930th Jul 2006 5:26 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
dylansdad

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

may be linked to the pending ice 'upgrade' my dealer mentioned to me recently. He indicated it was more than just a patch.
 2004 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi Silver  
Post #7444030th Jul 2006 5:28 pm
al cope

England 

Mossy

you are correct, all the arials are in the glass (Pal I, NTSC, etc), and each one has an arial amp, plus a tuner, plus whatever else to connect it. I'd also think its a rooflining out job to fit the amps, as the lead from them is very short down to the connector pad on the glass, so they must fit somewhere just above the glass.

I had a look when I put my roof mount DVD player in, as this has TV function as well. I gave up in the end as 1) the LR were bits were just to damn expensive, and 2) there were much easier (fitting and price) options around.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #7462231st Jul 2006 7:42 am
MB

England 

Is this the tv tuner land rover use

http://www.alpine-europe.com/content/engli...4-copy.htm

Post #760886th Aug 2006 1:02 pm
d3matt

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

The RRS guys say that LR are going to offer a retro fit to older models.
 Matt  
Post #761246th Aug 2006 7:00 pm
Mossy

d3matt wrote:
The RRS guys say that LR are going to offer a retro fit to older models.

To add to this, my dealers said pretty much the same. All the functionality is there - seems to be a plug 'n' play fit with software activation.

Interestingly that raises the question of the Venture cam and reverse camer options? Both are in the box of tricks, just seem to need the activation codes and bits to plug in.
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #763017th Aug 2006 1:44 pm
MB

England 

Mossy

Dealer say anything on the ice 'upgrade' (DAB) Smile

Post #763577th Aug 2006 4:37 pm
OffRoader

Finland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3
Where are the connectors for the antenna

Mossy wrote:
Addendum to previous post:

I believe the TV antennas are already present on the rear window, just like the FM radio antennas - that wire on the glass. I guess they would just need connecting up, which simplifies one part of the installation. I also recall reading that the system is designed to be upgradeable, both software and functionality, as LR has invested quite a bit on it. The US for example have a satellite radio module available, which suggests that a UK DAB version should be possible.

Most of us would appreciate a decent iPOD interface and / or the ability to display the 'tag' information from the mp3 disks we burn.

I know now that what would be the best possible DVB-T digibox with dual tuner and antenna diversity. Price of it seem to be ~370 euros so it's not that bad. The only open question before I'll rush into that project is then that HOW and WHERE are those antenna arials that Disco 3 windows might already have ? where are the connectors ?

Offroader
 -- too many modifications made to my Disco 3 to be listed in here --  
Post #7721810th Aug 2006 7:33 am
MB

England 

Is there a part number for the tv tuner yet and does anyone know it Question

Post #7725510th Aug 2006 11:06 am
Very Annoyed

England 

Could possibly be the same as they use in the FFRR!
 Loving the power of the TDV8!  
Post #7725710th Aug 2006 11:07 am
Mossy

The antenna's are etched onto the windows (rear) like the FM ones. That wire tracking that sits on the windows on the left hand and right hand rear sides. I would guess that the connectors would be the same as the one on the left (UK car) that attaches to the centre wiring. It would be fixed possibly using some conductive adhesive (please correct me someone if I'm wrong).

If you are buying third party TV modulator, then it might be easier to use their antennas.

Sorry I can be more help.
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #7725910th Aug 2006 11:09 am
MB

England 

Anyone know if the LR tv tuner will pick up the radio channels on freeview

Post #7739710th Aug 2006 5:45 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >