Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Tomtom 910
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
rak40

Tomtom 910

Has anybody installed a tomtom910 into the dash, where normally LR's original satnav screen is? I currently have a tomtom 300 there, which works fine, but I am looking at upgrading to the 910 with bt-capabilities and more. I would like to hear experiences from people who have the tomtom 910(or 710). Thanks!

Post #7315526th Jul 2006 4:43 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

It will fit in the gap as the overall dimensions of the case are very similar to the Go x00 series ....the depth from front to back is a little thinner but this should present no problems.

The major difference is that there is a light sensor and power control switch on the top of the 910 unit which may cause difficulties when it comes to fit and subsequent operation.

....if you go to your supplier then I'm sure they will let you trial position one Wink
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #7317626th Jul 2006 8:09 am
B16 KJR

Scotland 

I am going to be doing this when I get my new car on 1st Sept, but it is the Tomtom 510 that I have. Has anyone fitted one yet using the windscreen mount in the satnav apature ? Also any idea how to get the power supply cable up there (preferably hidden) ?

Post #7421429th Jul 2006 3:29 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

The unit will friction fit into the gap without the mount....see my post above though about the sensor and button on the top.

Just pop off the centre binnacle surround and thread the power cable behind. Wink
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #7421929th Jul 2006 4:45 pm
B16 KJR

Scotland 

But without the mount there is no way to power the Tomtom 510.

Post #7422029th Jul 2006 5:15 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Ahhh ...I thought there was a seperate power socket like on th GO series......mmmm don't know if thats the case ....you might be able to secure the mount inside the recess I guess Rolling Eyes

Last edited by DG on 29th Jul 2006 5:50 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #7422229th Jul 2006 5:35 pm
B16 KJR

Scotland 

What I was hoping to do was fix the windscreen mount inside the apeture and run the power cable behind the facia up to the aperture possibly through a switch. That way you could control when the unit was powered or not. As I said I dont get my car until 1st Sept so there is no way of trying anything until then, just thought someone else may have already done so.

Post #7422429th Jul 2006 5:43 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

No...I don't know of anyone on the site that has one I'm afraid Crying or Very sad
Post #7422629th Jul 2006 5:51 pm
al cope

England 

I dont have a tomtom, but my satnav is mounted in the apparture, and uses part of what came as its windscreen mount, and the power is fed from behind the dash. If you remove the center console surround, you can get a 12v feed from behind one of the aux power sockets at the bottom of the dash. I took this feed to a switch inside the top glove box (again so that it was out of sight). On mine, I then removed the rubber mat thats fitted in the appature space, and drilled a small hole right at the back (which would be covered by the mat when I remove the nav unit when I sell the car). I then modified the supplied windscreen mount, and fixed this in, again with the console surround out. A bit of juggling to get the correct position with the nav unit fitted, and finally put the surround back. Looks good (pics in gallery).

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #7423429th Jul 2006 6:22 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Roddy

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

B16 KJR wrote:
I am going to be doing this when I get my new car on 1st Sept, but it is the Tomtom 510 that I have. Has anyone fitted one yet using the windscreen mount in the satnav apature ? Also any idea how to get the power supply cable up there (preferably hidden) ?

I have used the windscreen mount because the it's the only way to power the unit etc. My only complaint is it tends to 'jiggle' a bit, so I have the unit rest on the edge of the binnacle.

Running cable is easy. Remove centre consul surround and lower power socket panel, feed cable across below the speedo (I use these fibreglass rods for feeing cable down walls etc.) Remove lightswitch panel and vent and side blanking panel run up to windscreen.

Discovery 3 'S' Bonatti Grey.  
Post #7463131st Jul 2006 8:19 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
B16 KJR

Scotland 

thanks for all the replies, but the look that I want to achieve is the same as Al has done, it looks more like a part of the original installation very neat.

Al, how difficult was it to get the centre console out to run the power cable ?

Post #7464531st Jul 2006 9:36 am
al cope

England 

really easy. there are 3 (if i remember) clips down each side. start with a hand ateach side at the bottom, and pull. Dont be afraid, it does come of. Then you'll be able to see behind the "gubbins", and theres loads of space for cables. I also worked on doing the fitting so that I could hide holes when i come to sell it. I will have to buy a new mat (the one that fits in the appature), but they arent much, as I cut the back part off mine and just used the front bit of it.

I've adjusted the angle on mine since posting the pics, so that the face of the nav screen is exactly the same as the air vents. looks more natural than when I first fitted it.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker

Post #7465231st Jul 2006 9:50 am
B16 KJR

Scotland 

Thanks for that Al, thats exactly the effect I want to achieve. Can I just confirm that you took the power supply from behind the aux socket ie joined into the + and - connections or did you use a plug and connect into the socket. Also is there enough room to fit the cigarette adapter/transformer behind the dash panel ? Does the cubby box thing just unclip fom the dashboard apeture or are ther screws hidden somewhere ?

Post #7469431st Jul 2006 11:07 am
al cope

England 

I took the cigar adaptor I got with mine apart (the bit that plugs into the cigar socket), used the remainder of the lead, and connected + & - to the wires behind the aux power socket.

If you are talking about the top glove/cubby box, I didn't remove that at all. If you're talking about the cubby space thing where you want to put your TomTom, also, I didnt take it out as it looks like its part of the dash moulding. i just drilled a hole big enough to get the wires through in the back bottom left hand corner (looking from the drivers seat), with a long flat bit in my 12v drill. Its not the tidiest of holes, but will be covered with a new mat once ont needed (and I'll glue the mat down so you cant see the hole).

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark

Post #7469631st Jul 2006 11:15 am
rak40

I ended up buying a 910 and it was no problem fitting it into the dash. I dissambled the mount, by taking off the suction cup. The stub with all the connectors remains and now functions as the stand. The 910 is not a thight fit like the previous model, but that worked out fine as the on/off button is now located on top and is therefor still accessable. I removed console surround and hide all the cables behind. It works perfectly fine inside the dash. Handsfree works fine, and I can play mp3's through the car audio system. I don't know how to post pictures in this message, otherwise I would have posted some pics.
cheers

Post #757954th Aug 2006 4:44 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >