DISCO3.CO.UK > Africa

D3 just out of motor plan
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
SteveV

South Africa 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Hi all

D3 just out of motor plan and come up with a suspension fault. Big Cry Big Cry I have been recommended to try 3 Lions in Midrand. Has anyone any experience with these guys? Are they good, bad or indifferent?

Look forward to your responses

Steve

Post #76473021st Feb 2011 6:17 am
Discoeast

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

SteveV, expand more on the fault as it could turn out to be something
small and easy to fix.
 D3 bullbar-spots-roof rack with spots-ladder-long range tank-swing out spare wheel carrier- upgraded tow bar-dash console-internal water tank-duel awnings-drawer system & T T.  
Post #76473221st Feb 2011 6:55 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Baben

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I am not sure if Ian at 3 lions has the diagnostic kit, but I can tell you he is a land rover fanatic.

Suspension faults are probably the most complex faults to locate on the D3 because of the way the suspension, engine, speed sensors, transmission, ABS, park brake, e-diff, etc etc all have to interact for normal operation.
Without diagnostic kit you might just as well give up.

Check the obvious stuff - this list is based on the causes I have seen:

#1 cause of all faults in the D3 - check the battery - let the vehicle stand overnight and check the voltage in the morning, if it is not at least 12.7v you may have an issue.

are any of the height sensors loose ?
unplug all the height sensors and check for corrosion/leaks on the connectors (support the vehicle whilst doing this if you like your arms the way they are)
check the connectors for speed sensors - right rear i have seen twice now as a cause
is your park brake playing up?

One thing I can recommend is that you get yourself a Faultmate, mate Smile

Pop round and see me one weekend, and we can have a deeper look. just do the obvious first, and you may save yourself a trip

Post #76474221st Feb 2011 7:57 am
SteveV

It seems that when starting the engine the height adjustment is functional then a few minutes later I get the suspension fault. Suspension height is normal. This morning a new issue happened the front suspension is down at the low level. Now as soon as I switch on the ignition the fault appears and the suspension is down at 'leopard crawl' height.

Unfortunately I have no idea where and how to check the items apart from the battery. Possibly need to get it into Waterford to sort this out.

Post #76478121st Feb 2011 11:01 am
SteveV

Thanks Baben for your response and suggestions, really appreciate the help you are always willing to give! Eventually took the D3 to Waterford LR as I need to travel to Durban in the morning. It was the compressor that was faulty and R8k Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry later it seems to be fixed. Seems to be something that happens around 90 000Km. Is this the experience of other D3 owners? Heard this from 3 other owners, theirs all failed around the same mileage. 2 months out of motor plan on time not mileage. Asked Midrand to check suspension about 15 000km ago and they could not find a fault. Will approach LRSA and see if I can get some goodwill; worth a try.

Thanks to Waterford for squeezing me in this afternoon and sorting out the problem.

Steve

Post #76478521st Feb 2011 11:11 am
Baben

THere were compressor or valve issues with the 05/06 models, and these should mostly have been replaced under recall, but the 08 should have had one of the newer setups. Who knows? Probably not something that should have gone at 90k in my opinion. Also, not to drive you nuts, but there is a valve kit that can be purchased separately for less than R1k that sorts out the problem if it is valve related. Anyhow, you are happy now Smile

Post #76580823rd Feb 2011 11:08 am
PSC

South Africa 2010 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Re: D3 just out of motor plan

SteveV wrote:
Hi all

You did not take the extended motorplan ? - You may still be able to (after having the current fault rectified), it could save on some serious bills later.

Post #76599723rd Feb 2011 6:31 pm
Todd3

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

SteveV wrote:
It seems that when starting the engine the height adjustment is functional then a few minutes later I get the suspension fault. Suspension height is normal. This morning a new issue happened the front suspension is down at the low level. Now as soon as I switch on the ignition the fault appears and the suspension is down at 'leopard crawl' height.

Unfortunately I have no idea where and how to check the items apart from the battery. Possibly need to get it into Waterford to sort this out.

I would be interested to know if the fault re occurs after the new compressor is fitted. I had exactly the same symptoms and it was the battery. I replaced the battery and it never happened again.

LR say that during starting a dodgy battery voltage drops too low to complete the system check cycle and one of the affected systems is the suspension.
 Todd
D3 V8 HSE 

Post #76692725th Feb 2011 3:24 pm
SteveV

Todd3 the fault as gone away and not returned in the last week since having the compressor replaced. So if seems that the replacement rectified the problem. Checked the battery and it seems fine.

The reason I didn't take the extended motor plan is that they wanted something like R40k and that to me was extortion. I might rue that decision but that i decided at the time.

Post #76724226th Feb 2011 5:36 am
PSC

South Africa 2010 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

SteveV wrote:
The reason I didn't take the extended motor plan is that they wanted something like R40k and that to me was extortion. I might rue that decision but that i decided at the time.

Fair comment - I took the extended warranty (on the D3), mainly because I had a couple of items replaced while still in the initial warranty (diff,epb & height sensors). Needless to say nothing broke while in the extended warranty Rolling Eyes

Post #76724326th Feb 2011 5:59 am
gerhardt

South Africa 2007 LR3 TDV6 SE Auto Alaska WhiteLR3

D3 also out of service plan by 4 months with only 45 000km on the clock. Similar suspension issue – suspension warning light on shortly after startup, remains on and will not raise beyond standard mode and that took forever. Warning message “suspension raising slowly”. Stealers replaced compressor and problem has been resolved. Two concerns 1) I can now hear the compressor running, previously it was not obvious (for about 3-5minuetes after startup) 2) faulty compressor was returned to me, have subsequently stripped it and can find nothing mechanically/electrically wrong with it, connected to 12v and it runs smoothly with very little noise however it does seem to get rather hot. Have I been had or am I missing something!!!

Post #76767327th Feb 2011 10:57 am
Baben

T'was probably the valves then

Post #76831128th Feb 2011 5:29 pm
BigjimSA

South Africa 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

8K!!!!

Must have been something more than just the compressor. Like Baben says,there is a LR rebuild kit for a few hundred bucks & labour is under an hour.

Hope you were not shafted there mate Shocked

Post #7705314th Mar 2011 9:13 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >