Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Air Spring Punctured by control arm??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
ryan-in-oregon

2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Air Spring Punctured by control arm??

About a week ago while on a trail I had my right front air spring get punctured. The upper control arm drooped low enough to rub on the aluminum housing around the spring and wear a hole. I have researched as best I can and I cannot find another occurence of this happening. It looks to me like the strut over extended and caused this problem. I have taken it all apart but I haven't ordered a new strut assembly yet, has anyone seen anything like this before? The control arm bushings were all replaced 6k miles ago, and there are no loose suspension componets.
Here are some pics
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

You can see in this pic were the cv boot has rubbed against the lower control arm aswell
Click image to enlarge

In this one you can see where the aluminum housing rubbed against the frame.
Click image to enlarge

Ryan - 05 V8SE with 58k miles on the clock

Post #67154713th Jul 2010 6:52 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Have you used extended ride height rods at all?

Seems unusual (i.e. the first one i've heard of doing this) Seenothers where trees or steelrod has gone through it, but not what you describe. Maybe just unlucky, but I'd want to know if it's likely to do it again....
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #67154813th Jul 2010 7:01 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ryan-in-oregon

Yes I have 8mm shorter rods installed. However maximum extension should be controled by the strut correct? I think as a safety measure I am going to add a limiting strap. It seems as if I am on three wheels frequently!!
Ryan

Last edited by ryan-in-oregon on 13th Jul 2010 7:54 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #67155113th Jul 2010 7:13 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

That'll be it then.....

The strut will have more movement available to it as it it free to move generally. i.e. if you were to remove the hub knuckle, then the struts would have nothing to hold them in position and they will fall a lot further than you would normally see.

It IS one of the risks with shorter/longer rods and I'm glad that you posted your issue.

A check strap would help, but I'm not sure where you would fix it to TBH.

Ride height (and therefore extension) is controlled by the ride height sensors, which are thinking they are too high/short with your 8mm mods.
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #67155713th Jul 2010 7:20 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ryan-in-oregon

Well, expensive risk it is then.....I am disapointed that the strut is allowed to extend to the point of contacting other suspenion componets. The strut itself is completely mechanical and shouldn't be able to extend that far in my opionion. Although I do understand how it would extend further with greater pressure in the air bladder. For the limiting strap I will have to weld some tabs on to the frame and lower a-arm.
Ryan

Post #67156113th Jul 2010 7:30 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

well if you can post up pics of what you end up doing, that would be swell Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

See It Here 

Post #67156313th Jul 2010 7:32 pm
NeilD

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Odd as this is I can see it being 100% an xtended rod issue.

There are enough of them in service/tested around the world, so i think this is a non issue.

If so then the would be the same for GraemeS and Matzker (sp) kit.

Think something else is amiss here....
 My Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/NeilDisco#p/u/5/Dz4-Q95GQ2c
Photo Sets http://www.flickr.com/photos/16658684@N08/sets/72157625275139752/ 

Post #67156813th Jul 2010 7:58 pm
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Doesn't sound like a height rod issue....I know lots of people with 8mm and 10mm shortened rods (I run 5mm + a recal) and this does not happen....

Something looks like it went wrong when they changed stuff 6000 miles ago Shocked Shocked
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #67157413th Jul 2010 8:10 pm
NeilD

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

PaulP wrote:
Doesn't sound like a height rod issue....I know lots of people with 8mm and 10mm shortened rods (I run 5mm + a recal) and this does not happen....

Something looks like it went wrong when they changed stuff 6000 miles ago Shocked Shocked

Quite agree Paul.

Who is this Bodsy bloke? Doesn't know what he's on about!!
 My Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/NeilDisco#p/u/5/Dz4-Q95GQ2c
Photo Sets http://www.flickr.com/photos/16658684@N08/sets/72157625275139752/ 

Post #67157913th Jul 2010 8:13 pm
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

It can't just be dismissed though. It could be a combination of things, but that is not normal.

I would want to know what caused it before replacing the strut.

Post #67158813th Jul 2010 8:30 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

Come on chaps, let's get some reality in here..... My first thought when looking at the damage was overextension of the control arm, caused in part at least by shortened rods.
Turns out he does have shortened rods. Can't remember what lift 8mm gives.... (I'm sure someone will say shortly...)

If you go into extended mode whilst off road, you'll generally be 2-2-1/2" or more more than that with the rods.
So once in extended mode, you go into super extended, again add 2" or so above that and there is some real extremes of angles at that point.

It may be that the arm was knocked to the extreme edge of the bushes movement, which could have rubbed onto the suspension bag cover. I would suspect that this was caused by extreme angles in all areas, including the steering being locked over all the way.

It may be, that when you are lifting to the max, that you need to add a bolt to adjust the steering bump stops to avoid this.

It would then also perhaps avoid undue stress on the CV joint at those acute angles when fully locked.

Is the above a logical 'potential' explanation?
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

See It Here 

Post #67159013th Jul 2010 8:40 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

ryan-in-oregon wrote:
Well, expensive risk it is then.....I am disapointed that the strut is allowed to extend to the point of contacting other suspenion componets.

I take it that you are really saying you are disappointed that "man with magic growing rods" didn't tell you it might screw your motor, rather than the OEM set-up Thumbs Up
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #67159213th Jul 2010 8:46 pm
ryan-in-oregon

Steering angle has no effect on the clearances between the conrtol arm and sleeve. I personally refreshed the bushings 6 k miles ago and I just don't see how I could have done anything wrong (although it is a possiblity) The upper arm was replaced as a whole.

Regardless of what length rods are on, the strut should have a mechanical limit to prevent extension to the point of contacting other suspension componets. There is always a risk when modifying parts and that is a risk I accecpted when I started running the shortened rods. I just find it hard to believe I am the only one that has encountered this problem.
Ryan

Post #67160613th Jul 2010 9:18 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

Ryan,

I think it's a combination of the shortened rods and the actual driving situation. People are still getting used to the idea od shortened rods, so I'm sure we'll see some more issues, but at the same time, we'll also see some more solutions to cure those issues as well Thumbs Up

It's progress and without people like you that are willing to give it a go, we'd still have square wheels and live in caves Laughing Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

See It Here 

Post #67160813th Jul 2010 9:24 pm
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

CW and Bodsy, I'm not discarding it in completely, but I simply can't see the correlation at the moment Thumbs Up

DG - I don't understand your message ? Question

Bodsy - shortening the rods by 8mm will give around a 35-40mm lift in height: 1.5" (ish). Thumbs Up

Even with the D3 in extended mode with shortened rods, the control arms don't touch the air springs....I've even tried it calibrating my suspension to -50 all round with my 5mm shortened rods (probably equivalent to 12-15mm shortened rods) and then put it in off-road mode.....the suspension "tops" out very quickly and doesn't lift much more than it would anyway in "normal" super-extended.....again, the control arms don't go near the air springs.

Most people here have had their D3s on three (or two Very Happy ) wheels many many times and I would bet that none of us have got wear/rub marks on the air spring housing.

The steering should have no effect on the geometry of the control arms. Shortening the rods will have Censored all effect on the articulation of the suspension. Once it reaches it's stop, it reaches it - changing the height rods does not, and cannot affect this or give the suspension any more articulation - once the wheel is hanging, the stop is mechanical (although not entirely sure if it is due to the shock absorber or air spring "maxxing out"). You don't need limit straps on the D3 as the spring (air spring in this case) is not capable of being separated from either its' top or bottom fixing point.

If you look carefully at the photos, you can see severe rubbing and wear - not just an occasional contact - it's been happening an awful lot. The fact that the OP hasn't mentioned the same thing occuring on the other side makes it seem that the problem is localised to just one side....let's remember that he would have installed the same height rods on both sides.

People over here have been using shortened rods for a couple of years including lots of trail stuff and plenty of trips to the desert - some people have had issues with out of range values being given when 10mm shortened rods are used, but never with 5mm or 7mm shortened rods. We've never been able to attribute any mechanical failure as being due to rods.

Seriously - I can't see how the height rods could have caused this issue. 10mm is a lot, but not that much - what has happened here isn't normal.......
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #67161013th Jul 2010 9:35 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >