Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

child seat advice
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
smac343

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
child seat advice

hi all been looking at changing the child seat ihave as the little man is getting to big for his current seat. i have been looking at a Recaro Young Sport as they go from 9 - 36Kg and the speed he is growing ....

question is has anyone had one or is currently useing one and are they good. if not any suggestions?

Smac343
 four wheels - Buckingham Blue SE, tints, PTI, (SOLD)

About to sell up and take a Gap year following a VERY full 23yrs 9 months and 24 days (not that im counting) 

Post #4357109th Mar 2009 6:23 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I have a Recaro seat (got from JKP ages ago) it's very sturdy and the wee man loves it. (he's 5 now) Seem to be very good quality Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #4357189th Mar 2009 6:31 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
npinks

United Kingdom 

I have the Recaro Monza Seatfix in my FL2

I find it a very good seat, with the isofix to stop if from flying around the back when NP Jnr isn't in it

He quite likes the built in speakers in the headrest too

Post #4357469th Mar 2009 7:18 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

It was a Recaro seat, similar to the 'Start', for us and it fitted very well in the D3. Exceptional quality and highly adjustable - now doing service elsewhere in the family. After nearly 7 years use it still looks like new (well when its been washed!).

Last edited by Robbie on 10th Mar 2009 2:31 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #4358189th Mar 2009 8:38 pm
DaveM

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

I am looking to buy two new seats for 4years +, ideally isofix base and using the adult seat belt so that the mass of the seat is not transferred to the child in a accident and to provide more lateral support. I already have 2 Jane Indy plus isofix in a D3 but the buckles are are right Censored to get at so I thought i would look at some different designs. the Britax Evolva 2-3 is the same as the LR branded seat but i'm not sure if the LR one is the isofix version or last years model (i have asked TLO to provide guidance Bow down) . the one thing i did read today is this:

WHICH
The four child car seats** deemed ‘Don’t Buys’ by which.co.uk are:

The Little Shield Combi 123 was the worst seat on test. It uses a nylon strap with stud fixing which isn’t strong enough to contain the forces of a severe accident. It’s made from expanded polystyrene and offers no protection from side impacts.

Chicco Max 3-S uses the adult seat belt for a 9kg child (around nine months old) which means that instead of sitting on the shoulder, the adult belt rests on the neck of the child and thus could cause severe injuries.

Mamas & Papas Pro-Tour offers no protection for older children in a side crash, because it recommends removing the backrest for children over 22kg. Therefore there is nothing to stop the child’s head being injured in a side impact.

Recaro Start also uses the adult seat belt for a 9kg child, which means they’re improperly restrained in a crash and the sudden deceleration caused by a serious frontal crash could result in neck or abdomen injuries for such a small child.

I have a recaro start, but swapped to the Jane Indy plus's when I bought the D3 with the isofix fittings I haven't used it since as it is very heavy (aluminum frame) and is only held in by the adult seat belt. There is no doubt it is a solid seat but seems not suitable for a small child.

Post #4358579th Mar 2009 9:14 pm
Marmoset

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 4

We have a recaro young sport here - can't say how it will fit in a D3 as we don't have one of those yet!

He fitted in it when he was 8 months old and it's grown nicely with him(currently 20 months old) good padding, washable fabrics so it cleans up well, easy to fit and it looks as though it will offer a lot of protection and the area around the head is very deep set so it offers a lot of support when he's sleeping as well. It can be used with the 3 point harness arrangement when the child is young and then when they're old/tall enough the usual car seatbelt can be used with the seat to restrain the child.

All in all, a big thumbs up here, may appear pricey on the face of it but when you consider the years you'll get out of it it's pretty chepa per year.

Rich

Post #4359199th Mar 2009 10:23 pm
Gaza

Scotland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

We have two Recaro Young Sport's. One is fitted in the D3 and the other in our 118d. We had the Maxi Cosi CabrioFix (with 2 ISOFIX bases) when he was newborn but he grew out of it at about 10 months. Initially we were going for another ISOFIX type seat but my wife like the fabric Shocked Razz Wink on the Recaro so we ended up going with that. The seat is quite big and heavy and but fits securely in both cars using the three point belt.

It really has three stages:

Stage 1: uses a 5 point harness with a bolster cushion that keeps the baby quite snug
Stage 2: uses the same 5 point harness but the bolster is removed
Stage 3: sees the 5 point harness removed and the 3 point seat belt holding child and seat in place

The negatives is there is not much in the way of tilt so it can be quite upright. When used in our 118d when the wee one had a tendency to flop forward when he fell asleep.

Adjustment of the 5 point harness can be tricky. There is a clip at the rear where two straps become one that can catch on a button used to increase the height of the seat back. Also, the release mechanism takes a bit of getting used to. It is a simple serated cam but if you over push it catches at the back and makes the straps difficult to move. My mum has arthritis in her fingers and really struggles with it.

All in it is a good seat that will do the child until they no longer require a child seat or want to move to a booster cushion. I'd give it 7/10.

Post #43618410th Mar 2009 2:09 pm
trigram

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Gaza,

Do you still recommend the Recaro Young Sport? I was concerned about the lack of recline. Alternatives are the MaxiCosi Tobi and the Britax King Plus, but they are only 9months-4years. I ruled out the Kiddy range as I think my daughther woiuld hate having a great big cushion in front of her.

rgds

fin

Post #66078515th Jun 2010 12:22 pm
blue_manc

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I have 2x Maxi Cosy Tobi - and so long as you get the newer version with the spring loaded clasp at the front they are perfect for the middle rear seat in the D3.

Mate has the earlier versio and found his kid can undo the clasp pretty easily - I have the thicker, new clasp and my lad can't undo it (nb. Any suggestion my lad is stunted in his "clasp" opening development will be frowned upon).

Post #66079715th Jun 2010 12:54 pm
AWD man

England 

a vote for the britax King plus

My son's been in it since he was 12 months (now 19) and he's always falling asleep in it (which must be a good sign of comfort)

Also has the AA stamp on it for safety

We looked at the Recaro seats, but the one we looked at didn't have isofix, plus it didn't have as many stars as the britax
 57 RRS TDV8
BAS Map
D3: Gone but not forgotten 

Post #66082915th Jun 2010 2:16 pm
trigram

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Thanks for the advice.

The recaro young sport will fit into seats 2 and 4 (front passenger and outer 2nd row seats). Same as the Maxi-Cosi Tobi. However, the Britax Eclipse, according to the Fit-Finder is suitable for 3,4,5,6&7! (but does not have the thick head padding the others have). Curiously, the Britax Duo, which LandRover sells for the Disco4 (dont know the diff in D3/D4 seating) is only recommended by Britax with an additional safety option.

I really would like the Recaro Young Sport, but it only really has one recline position...

Post #66086515th Jun 2010 3:33 pm
smac343

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

trigram,
I went for the recaro in the end very happy with it as you said only one recline position but isn't an issue as the wee man still falls asleep in there.

if you are near me you can come have a look at it fitted

smac343
 four wheels - Buckingham Blue SE, tints, PTI, (SOLD)

About to sell up and take a Gap year following a VERY full 23yrs 9 months and 24 days (not that im counting) 

Post #66094015th Jun 2010 5:42 pm
captain_sugar

Czech Republic 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Scotia GreyDiscovery 4

I recommend these seats:

http://www.bebeconfort.com/collection/UK/voiture_iseos_neo.htm
for the smallest. Advantages: adjustable width (especially appreciated in winter when the baby is packed in) and a nearly lying position for sleeping
also exists in Isofix http://www.bebeconfort.com/collection/UK/voiture_iseos_isofix.htm , although I don't fond the isofix system too much anymore...

http://www.concord.de/en/#/products/driving/car-seats/lift-evo-pt
Suitable and comfortable for big children.
 Some people get by
With a little understanding
Some people get by
With a whole lot more
I don�t know
Why you gotta be so undemanding 

Post #66105715th Jun 2010 9:49 pm
Pelyma

England 

AWD man wrote:

My son's been in it since he was 12 months (now 19) and he's always falling asleep in it (which must be a good sign of comfort)

Don't his mates take the Censored , most kids stop using seats at about age 8 Whistle Wink
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #66109315th Jun 2010 10:50 pm
woody32
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 LR3 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3

I have one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Maxi-Cosi-Axiss-Fo...B001P2QS3K for my son so easy as it swivels, just about to buy another Big Cry
 Wanted D4s non runners pm for competitive price.
IID Pro MV License - D3/4 RRS - Enabling, Updates,Transmission flushing.
Mobile or workshop,PM for details.

Post #66111215th Jun 2010 11:54 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >