DISCO3.CO.UK > General

My quick D3 - D4 comparison
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 
My quick D3 - D4 comparison

Due to my D3 HSE being serviced at GS in Stockport, I was loaned a D4 GS for a couple of days.

The first thing that I noticed about the D4 was the much improved throttle response. Even the later D3's (mine is 08.5my) have a considerable lag on acceleration. The second thing was the brakes. They are much sharper on the 4.

The ride on the 4 is certainly firmer than the 3, but its not uncomfortable, and it certainly does feel much more nimble, with a sharper turn in and steering response.

The 3.0 engine is a very sweet motor indeed. Much more power and sharper response than the 2.7. The autobox also seems to be better suited to the 3.0 engine. I liked the way that the gearbox kept the revs down when not driving particularly hard, using the fantastic torque of the engine to effortlessly move the car. The 3 tends to let the engine rev more than I would like. The 3,0 also sounds very purposeful.

The interior is better than I thought it would be. I'm still not sure what to do with the key! I don't like driving with stuff in my pockets, so had to use one of the storage holes in the centre console to keep it safe. Also there was nowhere to put my phone, so it ended up in the cup holder. The 3 has a nice convienient shelf by the sat nav that just perfectly fits a Blackberry.

Also, I noticed that whilst my 3 would connect the bluetooth phone as soon as the car was unlocked, the 4 would only connect if I switched the radio on. I suppose this stops the annoying habit of the 3 taking over the phone call if you happen to unlock it whilst making a call.

All in all, I like it. Certainly worth a look in a few months Thumbs Up

Post #66459624th Jun 2010 11:43 pm
Womble

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

My FL2's due for a service very soon and I'm dreading being offered one.
I just know there's going to be a fight to get the key back.

But, there's one thing that dissapoints me in the D4, and it's a really picky point Embarassed
Wheels!!!

I know, I know, I can hear the cries of "What!!!" but I remeber the debate around spare rubber for off road jaunts and it just seems very limiting to have those 19" rims with no choice of dropping on a set of 17" with good old Cooper STT's

Am I finally loosing the plot?

Post #66460024th Jun 2010 11:55 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I know what you mean, I was chatting with the service manager about that when I swapped back to my D3 this evening. I have a set of 17s with STT's for winter and off road. No good on a 4 Sad

Post #66460125th Jun 2010 12:02 am
adam

United Kingdom 

Blackberry usually ends up in the small hole near the gear lever that supposed to hold the key, cup sits in cup holder, other mobile sits in smaller hole near TR knob, keys usually end up on passenger seat or in pocket - not ideal
Miss the little ledge underneath sat nav - agreed - perfect for phone / bb

Post #66462925th Jun 2010 7:23 am
bambi

England 

Sorry but the 4 has 1 major flaw, the cup holders have moved, thats the best thing about the 3, cup holders right at the end of my arm with it resting on the cubby, on the 4, 2 far back. So can never have a 4 Laughing

Post #66468225th Jun 2010 10:05 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >