Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Were do I stand legally
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
phil2174

England 
Were do I stand legally

Going to look at a D3 tomorrow at a garage, chap says he doesn't have V5 waiting for it to come back from DVLA. IF it was a private sale wouldn't go near it but this is a small garage. Was wondering were I stood if I bought it and it wasn't his to sell
unlikely I know. Have done a check for stolen/write off etc etc. Any ideas Question
cheers Phil

Post #6577637th Jun 2010 11:12 pm
Navigator

Location: Stay at Home. One of the lives you save could be your own.

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

If he is a genuine trader then I find it difficult to think of a reason for the V5 having to be with the DVLA, apart from reverting to an original registration where a cherished number has been transferred off. In that case he should be holding the appropriate tear-off strip. LR should have some vehicle details on their system accessible through VIN or registration mark - there are chaps on here who might do that for you if you are not "in" with your local dealer.
 A vaccine does not stop you catching a virus, or passing it on, or getting ill from it, really ill. It does reduce the likelyhood of you dying when really, really ill. Stay Alive - KEEP AWAY FROM PEOPLE.  
Post #6577697th Jun 2010 11:27 pm
The Coachman

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Most garages would have taken photo copies of the docs before they are sent away. Run an HPI check and they will tell you when the last V5C was issued etc, but if you dont have the V5 I dont think they will cover you should it turn out to be not his to sell as it were. Anyone can apply for a V5, and it normally takes about 14 days or so. If in any doubt, but you like the car leave a small deposit (say £50.00 on a credit card pref) and ask the seller to let you know when he has all his paperwork in order. If not keep looking.

Post #6577767th Jun 2010 11:34 pm
astonbuilder

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

If he is a dealer it is likely to not be a con; chances somebody has fronted a business up, stocked it and then chosen a second hand D3 to fleece a customer before he dismantles and disappears never to have been heard of again......

However cannot understand why he isn't holding at least the yellow bit (I think) of the V% as a dealer even if the remainder has been returned for plate transfer, etc.

He may not have made a copy as the turnaround of paperwork is pretty quick. Just done a cherished transfer on my motorbike and all paperwork through within a working week.

He may be trying to hide the fact it's had multiple owners until he's hooked you?

As per the other suggestion, leave a deposit as paperwork should be imminent now. If he fudges, go look elsewhere.

Post #6578628th Jun 2010 8:57 am
pom

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

sounds fishy.

Motor dealers keep the left part of the V5 and only send in a little red strip. Ask him how long he has been waiting then give DVLA a call and find out.

Gambling a lot of cash for the sake of a weeks wait.

Pom

Post #6578658th Jun 2010 8:58 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

AFAIK if he sells it to you, you pay out and it is stolen you're the one that looses out as he didn't have good title, so neither do you. Small garages can be as hicky as some private sales/scammers. Not worth the risk, loads of (well a few) othe fishies in the puddle!

Post #6578778th Jun 2010 9:19 am
WOODY179

United Kingdom 

sounds reasonable to me if the original owner has had a private plate taken off, last 2/3 cars I've px'd I have had to first send the WHOLE V5 off to the DVLA and then give my LR dealer the new V5 as soon as I have received it back - each time this has happened I have been putting the private plate on retention.
 1996 Discovery 1 300TDI ES Biarritz Blue, sold
1999 Discovery 2 TD5 ES Rioja Red, sold
2002 Discovery 2 TD5 ES Buckingham Blue, sold
2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Adriatic Blue, sold
2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Zambezi Silver, sold
2011 Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE Nara Bronze, sold
2016 Volvo XC60 D5 AWD Lux Nav Twilight Bronze, sold
2020 Range Rover Evoque P250 First Edition, Nolita grey, sold
2023 Range Rover Evoque P300e Autobiography, Carpathian grey 

Post #6579198th Jun 2010 10:33 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Navigator

Location: Stay at Home. One of the lives you save could be your own.

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

The transfer can only be done by the registered owner. So if the number is to go from one vehicle direct to another then they both need to be owned by the same person/business.

When I make my recent transfer I did not trust the dealer. So I completed all the paperwork in my name, although it was the dealer who took the paperwork to the DVLA office. They sent the two new V5Cs to me at my registered address and I then completed the sale sections on the new V5C for the traded in vehicle - which all the while was sitting "For Sale" on the dealer's forecourt.

This took four working days. So if this is the situation with the vehicle you are interested in, then its new V5C should be with the dealer about now. The date of issue on the V5C should confirm this.

Make sure any HPI and similar checks are done on VIN number. When I was getting LR to update their records for my new vehicle, what they had against the registration number wasn't the previous vehicle, but two before that which I sold in 1999!
 A vaccine does not stop you catching a virus, or passing it on, or getting ill from it, really ill. It does reduce the likelyhood of you dying when really, really ill. Stay Alive - KEEP AWAY FROM PEOPLE.  
Post #6579278th Jun 2010 10:50 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Agreed, the owner isn't supposed to sell it till he gets the new V5 back, yeah right Mr DVLA! OK you may risk a small deposit til the V5 arrives but though the days of "when you buy the car you can apply for the Reg Doc at the post office" were a thing of the past.

Post #6579298th Jun 2010 10:51 am
phil2174

England 

Update Guys, Been to see the car and it looks good, so as suggested left a small deposit till the v5 arrives. The reason the garage didn't have it, he said was because the car was repossesed by finance company then sold onto garage. The finance company sent V5 to DVLA. Have done an hpi check against reg no and chassis no.
Cheers for advice guys Thumbs Up

Post #6585079th Jun 2010 3:20 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >