Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Climate Control
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Davro

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
Climate Control

I know, very topical subject in the UK at the moment....
My understanding is that all D3 7 seat UK models had Climate Control and at some point Rear Climate Control was introduced as an option and was even standard on an HSE for a while before it reverted back to a being an option. On the D4 there is no option for rear Climate Control.

Did the standard Climate Control set-up (condensor/compressor etc.) actually get improved at some point on the D3, or was it just improved on the D4 to make rear climate control unecessary.

Got a Freelander 2 on loan for a couple of days and it really is showing up the climate control on my 2005 D3 HSE (no rear aircon), just wondering if there is an option to improve it in anyway. Has been re-gassed each year for the last 3 years, no leaks found and been checked by 2 dealers, re-gas inmproves it slightly for a while , but have to say as soon as it gets warm here it is really not up to the job.

cheers,

Dave

Post #65242124th May 2010 1:36 pm
Bernie

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Hi, My sept 2005 (06 model) HSE has rear climate as standard. Last year stopped producing cold air and Ripon Land rover charched me £150 to regas, and checck for leaks. Non found and worked OK until now when hot weather appeared. Ten for Cash is doing me a service on 1.6.10 so have asked him to look at it. I am sure Iain will be aware if their is any ongoing problem with this. Hopefully not going to need regas every year!
Cheers
Bernie

Post #65248224th May 2010 4:03 pm
Davro

I think there is a common fault with the rear-aircon where the pipes corrode, seen a few pictures on here.

Post #65248524th May 2010 4:10 pm
puffsorted

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Re: Climate Control

Davro wrote:
I know, very topical subject in the UK at the moment....
My understanding is that all D3 7 seat UK models had Climate Control and at some point Rear Climate Control was introduced as an option and was even standard on an HSE for a while before it reverted back to a being an option. On the D4 there is no option for rear Climate Control.

Did the standard Climate Control set-up (condensor/compressor etc.) actually get improved at some point on the D3, or was it just improved on the D4 to make rear climate control unecessary.

Got a Freelander 2 on loan for a couple of days and it really is showing up the climate control on my 2005 D3 HSE (no rear aircon), just wondering if there is an option to improve it in anyway. Has been re-gassed each year for the last 3 years, no leaks found and been checked by 2 dealers, re-gas inmproves it slightly for a while , but have to say as soon as it gets warm here it is really not up to the job.

cheers,

Dave

Late 2006 was the UK 'big spec' - all HSE's got the cubby cooler, rear aircon and Adaptive Cornering Lights, My '05' 2005 car had non of these but my '56' 2006 has them all

Post #65249324th May 2010 4:36 pm
drayman

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

just been been to kwik fit wolverhampton for a re-gas £49 Thumbs Up and if they cant re-gas you dont pay ie :- if they find a leak.
climate control now ice cold ,cold beer anyone ??? Very Happy

Post #65250424th May 2010 5:00 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bernie

Ten for cash does not have the equipment for aircon. So just been to Halfords and got DIY gas refill and connector ( Gas includes leak seal and lubricant ) Cost me £49.95 but £10 back when return empty cylinder. Just done job in 10mins and aircon now ice cold.
Cheers
Bernie

Post #65289225th May 2010 4:26 pm
Navigator

Location: Stay at Home. One of the lives you save could be your own.

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

How does one know if the air-con is doing what it should? £50 is a lot to pay to find it is already as good as it will ever get.

Does anyone have a quantitative measurement of what it does when working correctly? I'm thinking along the lines of measuring the drop in temperature at a point in the vehicle in a given time. Perhaps put a thermometer on the base of the middle seat in the second row and measure the drop in temperature in five minutes. Needs to be reasonably hot inside of course for air-con to be able to make a difference.

Not highly scientific, but easily done and measures what an occupant would experience. Anybody up for giving me a reading?
 A vaccine does not stop you catching a virus, or passing it on, or getting ill from it, really ill. It does reduce the likelyhood of you dying when really, really ill. Stay Alive - KEEP AWAY FROM PEOPLE.  
Post #65289425th May 2010 4:41 pm
chrisb

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

Good question. I'd be interested to know if a re-gas would help mine. Mind you, in sunny weather I do like the sunroof open with the rear windows droped about an inch to stop the buffetting. Not really an option on motoways though....

Post #65290425th May 2010 5:09 pm
Bernie

Hi Navigator, I could tell easily my aircon was not working due to beads of sweat on my forehead on Sunday. the temp coming out was same as outside.
Cheers
Bernie

Post #65292825th May 2010 6:04 pm
bambi

England 

give me a pm and i will send you a no for a local, A1 aircon company. they will test for leaks and advise and regas where necessary.

Post #65293725th May 2010 6:29 pm
Davro

Navigator wrote:
How does one know if the air-con is doing what it should? £50 is a lot to pay to find it is already as good as it will ever get.

Does anyone have a quantitative measurement of what it does when working correctly? I'm thinking along the lines of measuring the drop in temperature at a point in the vehicle in a given time. Perhaps put a thermometer on the base of the middle seat in the second row and measure the drop in temperature in five minutes. Needs to be reasonably hot inside of course for air-con to be able to make a difference.

Not highly scientific, but easily done and measures what an occupant would experience. Anybody up for giving me a reading?

This is what I have been using - http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=34932 , with the "external probe" pushed just inside the vent. I know the Aircon experts and even some dealers have a more acurate device but the principal is the same. I am told they expect to get 3-5 C after a re-gas. What I have found with my Maplin device, I can get about 5 C if the outside is not too warm, but in the hot weather in the last few days It has been around 7 or 8.

You can also see the effect of slower speeds where it goes up by 1C and also the affect of having the fan too high and so the air has less chance to cool.

It also maybe useful to have one of these and put the probe right in the back, so you can keep an eye on temperature where the children or pets are !.

regards,

Dave

Post #65296425th May 2010 7:42 pm
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
Glad this thread has appeared....

Mine too stopper operation on my D3 (three & a half years old)...with 33k miles on it
Probably short of gas...it does eventually leak out from joins & compressor shaft seal

My D3 has the front / rear set up & up to now has worked flawlessly (cold when cold selected)
I have found the controls (climate control) is very accurate (I measured it with data logger type electronic thermometer)
the front seemed to hold a value better then the rear...but having said that you didn't need to freeze in the front seats to get the whole vehicle cool. The control from the rear (when set at dashboard) gives back seat passengers a grate degree of control.

I am a bit wary of the Kwik Fit solution as the system needs to be evacuated before gas added (vacuum pump applied) to remove incompressible's (moisture) before adding gas.......its worth asking if they do that

......any other s with data on the issues with systems & experiences of having to fix the front rear system I would like to know
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #65297325th May 2010 8:04 pm
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

AC Pipe Corrosion ~ Questions

Davro wrote:
I think there is a common fault with the rear-aircon where the pipes corrode, seen a few pictures on here.

is it just one pipe or are there a few ?
Where are the pipes located that they corrode ?
Are there other pipe (brakes / air suspension / etc) in the same area ?
Is the area prone or is just poor materials on the part of Land Rover ? (Again)
Has anybody ideas to prevent corrosion (if new pipes arent re routed or made from better stuff) ?
Would Wax oil / under seal / Denso tape help ?

considering the auto box mechanism fails because of corrosion & also air con pipes it doesnt look good for long term prospects with Disco 3 ?
are D4's better or different in any way ?
 BREXIT - done properly.
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.

Post #6554771st Jun 2010 7:31 pm
BLFarrar

Re: AC Pipe Corrosion ~ Questions

BLFarrar wrote:
considering the auto box mechanism fails because of corrosion & also air con pipes it doesnt look good for long term prospects with Disco 3 ?
are D4's better or different in any way ?

is this thread dead or is no other owner concerned over the long term prospects of their D3/4 ?

I certainly am...my three & half year old car with less that 35k on the clock should not have corrosion faults
 BREXIT - done properly.

Post #6559492nd Jun 2010 8:49 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >