Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

battery magic eye
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
pko

England 
battery magic eye

hello all, the magic eye on my battery is always black, which apparently idicates I contact my dealer. I have done this & they checked the battery & state the battery is ok, but it needs a overnight trickle charge. I've done this, & just completed a 800 mile trip, but it is still black. i'm shortly going to take the car abroad for a few months & am concerned that there is a battery problem waiting to announce itself. Has anyone experienced this problem?
The car has done 4000 miles, & shortly after delivery L/R assistance had to attend as the battery had gone flat overnight.

regards to all
 never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

current motor RRsport hse

prev. cars TD5
3 Ford Explorers
2 Ford Mavericks
Sierra 4x4 

Post #614131st Jun 2006 11:45 am
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

definitely sounds like a problem - even if it's just the state indicator. I'd push the dealer to change it even if they say it's Ok - if the indicator is not operating correctly how are you supposed to know if there's a problem?
As far as trickle charging the battery, the standard chargers are not suitable for the lead-calcium batteries fitted to Disco3's as they require up to 15.8V dependent upon battery charge state and ambient temperature.

Post #614151st Jun 2006 11:51 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Michael

United States 

It may not be a battery problem, but a charging problem. I would check the voltage at the battery both with the engine running, and off. Your vehicle should never need any external charging, unless something was left on with the engine off for an extended period.

Post #615571st Jun 2006 9:36 pm
pko

England 
battery magic eye

many thanks for the advice. Car booked into dealer next week for a second time for the same fault

prev. cars TD5
3 Ford Explorers
2 Ford Mavericks
Sierra 4x4 

Post #615671st Jun 2006 10:07 pm
irobbie

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

What are the lighting conditions like when looking at your battery - is there sufficient light getting to the eye? I have a similar problem with my Nissan Patrol (about to be traded on a new Disco 3) and found that by shining a bright torch light into the eye it changed to the correct green colour.

Post #616082nd Jun 2006 9:13 am
pko

England 
magic eye

Many thanks for all the comments. With the engine running there is 15.2 volts across the terminal, with the engine off it is 12.3 volts. But still the magic eye is black, even when peering down it with a torch. Also I have noticed that when I start, the sat. nav screen is very dim for about 10 secs. then fires up to normal. Still into dealers on Tuesday for their assesment.[/i]

prev. cars TD5
3 Ford Explorers
2 Ford Mavericks
Sierra 4x4 

Post #617523rd Jun 2006 12:58 pm
drivesafe

Australia 

Hi pko, I’m not 100% sure but I think you will find that 12.3 is low but this low reading could be down to inaccuracies in your multi meter. If you are using a cheap multi meter, try using another multi meter and see if there is much difference, if any, in the readings.

You battery battery should be at at least 12.4 but 12.5 is normal.

Also, when did you take the battery readings.

To get the readings that will give you the best idea of what state in your battery, take your reading while the engine is still running after you have driven the D3 for at least 15 to 20 minutes and the long the drive, before taking the reading, the better.

The second reading of the battery’s voltage with the motor off, should be done at least 12 hours after the motor was last run and if it is 48 to 72 hours, you will get about a 95% accurate idea of the state of charge of your battery and again it should be 12.4 minimum.

One more point, to get the exact expected readings for a battery in good nick, do a search of the manufacturer’s web site for your battery and see if they give exact charge state details for your battery.

Cheers.
 2008 TDV8 RR Lux + 2009 D4 2.7  
Post #618574th Jun 2006 7:35 pm
drivesafe

Australia 

Hi again pko, you didn’t say what the temperature was where are.

This can have some effect on what the battery should be reading and again, when you check the specs for your battery on the manufacture’s web site, make sure you check the temperature range that the specs relate to.

Cheers.
 2008 TDV8 RR Lux + 2009 D4 2.7  
Post #619105th Jun 2006 12:21 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >