DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Vibration at Idle (TDV6 Auto)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Jonno

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3
Vibration at Idle (TDV6 Auto)

Hi All,

I have started to get a vibration in the cabin (through the pedals and seat) at idle when the car is stationary. The car's 7 months old and has 12,000 kms on the clock. The vibration occurs if the car is in Drive or Neutral. So I suspect either the engine is running a little rough or an engine mount / transmission mount is on it's way out?

The vibration gets worse if the revs are manually held at 1000 rpm (on the tacho), or when the air con kicks in and the idle raises itself to 1000 rpm. It never used to do this, has anyone else experienced this?

Not unsurprisingly the dealer says they can't find anything wrong, Confused but it's definately there.

Jon
Post #5983124th May 2006 2:23 am
Glymmer_Man

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Funny Idle.

I have experienced the same phenomon in a TDV6 Auto Loan car, with about the same amount of Ks?

I couldn't tell you what caused it. It always seemed like engine was idling fast. The car also had a gearbox error upon starting, until you applied the foot brake.

Post #5983524th May 2006 4:05 am
lr1

United Kingdom 

"Not unsurprisingly the dealer says they can't find anything wrong, but it's definately there. "

This sounds like a dealer cop out. First get them to agree the fault exists if necessary by a back to back test on two similar vehicles.

Once the fault is agreed then the dealer needs to fix it. This sort of fault sounds like a problem with the idle (temperature)sensors and should not be hard to fix. They give the wrong information to the injection computer and hence the incorrect mixture is delivered causing a rough idle or vibration. There are simple tests the dealer can perform to check the operation/failure of the various sensors.

David

Post #5984924th May 2006 9:02 am
mcowell

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hi Jonno - my TDV6 is four months old and has 12K on the clock, but I've never experienced this vibration problem. Have you taken the dealer for a drive and let him see how it behaves?
 Why have I never felt this way about a 4WD before?  
Post #5985124th May 2006 9:12 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
walima

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Re: Vibration at Idle (TDV6 Auto)

I think I have experinced this issue once after driving the car for 4 hours non stop, but the next day it went away?

Post #6000224th May 2006 7:56 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Jonno

Thanks for the reply's guys.

Will definately take the advice regarding the "back to back" tests, because I have already taken a technician out in the car, they seemed to simply ignore the problem and when I got the car back nothing had been done about it.

Jon
Post #6004425th May 2006 3:24 am
Heyloft

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Can you feel the vibration at/going through that RPM when moving?

Could it possible be associated with my post here?

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3858&highlight=
 Wot's that in Old Money

Fuji White D4 HSE-LUX
rear entertainment
TV
TPMS
Park Heater
Centre Console cooler box 

Post #6031126th May 2006 12:58 pm
Jonno

Hi Heyloft,

No, it's only there at idle. Like a constant thrumming. it's doing my head in at the moment when stationary at traffic lights, etc.

Once moving you can't tell it's there. I think it's more than likely to be engine related with a rough idle due to a faulty sensor as suggested by lr1.

Jonno
Post #6076828th May 2006 2:12 pm
Viper

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Hi Jonno,

Check that one of your tailpipes near the rear diff isn't touching the body. I scraped a large rock on the weekend and rearranged the shape and position of the pipe so that it is now touching the body. It makes one hell of a racket at idle, and the vibration does come through the cabin. It's fine whilst in motion though. Similar symtoms as your problem.

The tailpipes are very vunerable off-road and really should be addressed in a vehicle of this capability.

Cheers
 SE TDV6
Buckingham Blue
Alpaca Cloth 

Post #6084529th May 2006 3:44 am
UB

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Bumping up an old thread. I seem to be experiencing something very similar to the original poster.

The HP Fuel Pump on our 08 RRS TDV6 had to be replaced after spewing smoke and diesel all over the road.

After getting the car back, I have noticed a subtle yet noticeable increase in idle vibration when trasmission is left in D when stopped. The vibration can be felt through the seats, steering wheel and strongest from the center console between the front seats. Shifting into N seems to lessen the vibrations, and I have started doing this at most light stops.

The dealer had taken a look and said they can't fault the car. I wonder if anyone else went through this and found the solution?
 2008 RRS TDV6
2006 Disco 3 TDV6 S 

Post #84111928th Sep 2011 3:36 pm
anjo14

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Just another possible for vibration a this started a few months back and only at idle. Vibration could heard and felt thru the steering wheel and dashboard and was really starting to annoy. Anyway lifted the bonnet and could hear it coming from the engine cover.Vibration disappered when lifting the engine cover just slightly from the front on the right hand side looking at the engine from the front. Removed the engine cover and could see some wear thru the acoustic foam and plastic shown. Well it appears that the bracket on the same side for holding the egr pipe which I have removed as EGR'S are blanked has worn thru the acoustic foam. In the end a quick fix with some spare rubber hose split in half and tie wrapped cured the problem. Now no more annoying vibration. Very Happy

Post #119179523rd Nov 2013 1:30 pm
xyplex

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Get your dealer to check the vacuum engine mounts and ensure they are getting vacuum from the vacuum pump.

Post #177915115th Feb 2017 6:16 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >