Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

iPod retro fit
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
astonbuilder

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
iPod retro fit

Bit of a technophobe it seems as searching on iPod gave me about 3000 items in the forum but adding MORE detail took it up to about 8000 entries Confused

What do I need to get my iPod to be powered by the car and operable through the steering/stereo controls? Currently running it via 3.5mm jack lead out the aux socket but a bit unsafe to have it rattling around or trying to use on the go and the volume is reduced also (will that be the case even if I get it fitted into main system?).

I don't have sat nav so having it in the cubby hole would be great but if its in the glovebox that is fine also

Post #58420518th Jan 2010 8:33 pm
DrLex

Iceland 

This came up last month. To get the steering wheel controls working with the iPod, you'll need the LR solution at around £150.
 Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #58421518th Jan 2010 8:47 pm
Iain G

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Santorini BlackDiscovery 3
Re: iPod retro fit

astonbuilder wrote:
Bit of a technophobe it seems as searching on iPod gave me about 3000 items in the forum but adding MORE detail took it up to about 8000 entries Confused

Yes this caught me out the first few times. What you should of searched for was 'ipod +retro'. The + tells the search engine you want to search for threads that only contain the words 'ipod' and 'retro' (in my example).

As for an aftermarket ipod kit a few people, including myself, have fitted the harmon kardon drive and play system. This comes with a nifty controler that acts very nearly like the ipod controls and can be mounted on the bit of plastic just behind the handbrake switch. Just shout if you need any more info on this.

Iain

Post #58424618th Jan 2010 9:13 pm
astonbuilder

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Re: iPod retro fit

Iain G wrote:
astonbuilder wrote:

Yes this caught me out the first few times. What you should of searched for was 'ipod +retro'. The + tells the search engine you want to search for threads that only contain the words 'ipod' and 'retro' (in my example).

Iain

Aaaah, that's what all the '+' words and that was on about Embarassed

May try the Harmon Kardon thing as available on eBay for 30 quid incl postage so got to be worth a punt. Not a fan of FM transmitter types, albeit a fair few years ago now so a bit "1st Gen", so will run it off the aux lead, but find the volume a bit too low for my liking (growing old disgracefully, not deaf Mr. Green ). It looks a neat bit of kit and good VFM

Post #58428518th Jan 2010 9:38 pm
gt-steve

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I agree with Iain, I have also fitted the Harmon Kardon drive + play it's a good bit of kit and for the price IMO a real bargain. The only downside is the amount of cables it comes with to fit, its a bit daunting at 1st but once you start the install its not that bad. Thumbs Up

Post #58448418th Jan 2010 11:44 pm
TallPaul

United Kingdom 

Look at the Griffin Autotrip as well, powers iPod and uses Aux in of D3 for best sound, has forward back etc on the ciggy lighter part.

LR iPod dock is very expensive for what it gives you, you get an extra input and charging (for older iPods, not iPhone or new touch which need 5v I believe) and a dock, but only really gain track up/down, there is no other interface and you have to select all tracks with the iPod still.

Post #58503719th Jan 2010 6:16 pm
drmcw

United Kingdom 

Volume is only low if you're taking the output from the headphone socket. To get 'proper' volume then you need to get an adapter that uses the line out from the ipod docking port. Quite a few solutions around the £25 mark.

Post #58504419th Jan 2010 6:31 pm
Iain G

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

Talking of griffin if you are using one of the newer Ipod's that only charge from USB power (5V) then griffin do a converter from the older firewire system that the Harman Kardon unit uses. This addresses one of the drawbacks of the HK system as it does not charge newer ipods.

Some info on the HK system here showing some installs:
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic1481.ht...p;start=15

gt-steve
with reference to powering up the HK system (a query of yours that I have just stumbled across). I wired the power supply for the unit to the rear of the cigarette lighter and found a permanent +12V on one of the wires that plugs into the back of the panel that houses the DSC button.

Hope this helps

Post #58504619th Jan 2010 6:32 pm
gt-steve

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Thanks Iain, all in and working now I used the same method you have just mentiond, also used the Aux input from the passenger side footwell mentioned in some earlier posts and find that the volume level is very good. Thumbs Up

Post #58538720th Jan 2010 12:46 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >