Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Water in fuel message
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Big Nev

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3
Water in fuel message

I've had my D3 for a couple of weeks now and the above info message has appeared, disappeared and then re-appeared! I know that the TD5's had a sensor problem, has anyone heard/experienced faulty sensors on D3's or do I actually have water in the diesel!!!! If the latter how do I fix it?
 If it's not difficult, it's not worth doing!  
Post #58408718th Jan 2010 6:26 pm
MalBow

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Water In Fuel

Hi mine had same message on, i contacted landrover and they said it is water in "the casing" im not entirely sure which casing they were talking about, but any way the guy said they have had alot of it since the cold weather, due to being cold then warming up quickly when engine is started and creating condensation. He said it was a 40min repair and i could get it done under warrenty, i dont know how old your vehicle is or if you have any warrenty left, might be worth a phone call....mines booked in next thursday.

Post #58411718th Jan 2010 6:52 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Just drain the fuel filter with the drain plug and it should be fine, but if you have not changed it before it might need a new filter.
Easy job 20 mins max.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #58444218th Jan 2010 11:22 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DingMark

Iraq 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

In near or below-freezing conditions, it also helps to keep the fuel tank full, not empty. If empty, the larger air void space can let moist air enter the tank as the fuel warms up and expands, then cools at night. This can eventually draw moisture into the fuel tank, which can then either freeze off fuel lines or coalesce in a low spot (where hopefully the water sensor is). This is a bigger problem with aircraft fuel tanks but same principle can apply to the D3 and D4.
 Jim Dowell - D4 HSE TDi, 12,000 hydraulic winch & hidden winch mount, MTRs, TyreDog, Traxide 2 x aux battery system, fixed air compressor, Dolium roof rack, MitchHitch.
RIP 2005 D3 HSE V8 5 seater gold (stolen and torched) 

Post #58461719th Jan 2010 3:02 am
UKDen

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I had exactly the same problem in April 2008 when I was on holiday in Germany. Warning kept coming and going at random. Sad

On returning home I took car to my usual repair centre (LR approved independant). They established first that there was no water in the fuel (which there wasn't) and diagnosed a faulty sensor which they duly replaced.

Problem went away for about a week then returned. Back to garage, this time they kept car for a couple of days to get to the bottom of problem. Turned out to be a fault in the wiring loom, there was occasional high resistance in the wire to sensor.

They replaced the relevant part of loom and the warning has not recurred. All done under warranty. Thumbs Up

Post #58477819th Jan 2010 12:34 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >