Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Parking Sensors
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
CJS

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
Parking Sensors

I know that snow and ice don't help the performance of the parking sensors (particularly the rear ones) but I have cleaned the sensors and they are still making a lot of noise. When I drive forwards I don't seem to get a problem but if I engage reverse I get a very high pitched warning sound - it doesn't beep it is just a constant tone. It doesn't seem to be like the normal sound. The sensor light on the dash button then flashes constantly - even if I drive well above the speed the sensors are active. The light does not go off. Obviously I can stop the annoying sound and the light flashing by simply switching the sensors off. I have had two sets of wiring fitted over the years to the rear sensors. Does anyone know what is wrong? It could just be the cold weather playing havoc with them (minus 10 yesterday) or maybe new wiring is needed yet again.
Crazy weather here in parts of East Lothian. The Discovery is superb in the snow and our family would have been housebound for quite a few weeks now without it. My wife hasn't been able to move her Honda since well before Christmas.

Post #5753866th Jan 2010 6:16 pm
mouse470

Is the beeping comming from the front or rear?

other things you can do to check the sensors.

Ignition on select reverse(making sure you are on flat ground with the h/brake off)

so when the beeping starts walk around the vhe and place your ear close to each sensor you sould hear a clicking noise(like a bat using sonar)

whatever one is not clicking is the faulty one(or the wiring to that sensor)

hope this helps

mouse

Post #5754816th Jan 2010 8:26 pm
NJF

Look at the info display when you hear the long warning beep. It might say something like "[Front]/[Rear] Parking Distance Aid Inactive". I get it sometimes in very cold weather, even when the sensors appear to be clean and free from ice.

Post #5755036th Jan 2010 8:48 pm
blowpipe

England 

I've been getting that sensors 'inactive' warning over the last week or so, coupled with the LED on the parking sensor button flashing. Hopefully down to the weather...

Post #5755076th Jan 2010 8:52 pm
Darryl

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 S Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Hi i ve had the constant tone a couple ov times normally after washing could it be a water thing just a thought Question Question

Post #5756586th Jan 2010 11:49 pm
CJS

Thanks for your replies. I sometimes get a constant beep after washing the car but this sounds different. Also after driving for a few miles it usually disappears. I think the cold weather must be the answer. I haven't checked the info display but will do so next time I take the car out. As it is minus 12 here today I don't think I am going to see warmer weather for a while!

Post #5758777th Jan 2010 12:09 pm
amondeggs

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

HI I too have been getting the "front parking sensors are inactive" warning on dash and a long beep also the flashing orange light on the parking sensor switch. Has been like this for a few days now and Im not sure what to do? I too thought that it was the cold but it has been relatively warm the last few days?

Is this normally caused by a failed sensor?
Are the sensors easy to remove?
Is there anyway of testing the sensors apart from the clicking noise as mentioned in the previous posting?

If it is a failed sensor is it just the case of plugging a new one in or do you have to use the diagnostics stuff to reset etc?

I hope this all makes sense?

Thanks for your help in advance Smile

Post #58426718th Jan 2010 9:23 pm
blowpipe

England 

Likewise this is really hacking me off now as it's become an ongoing problem, despite the fact the weather's got marginally better so we can't blame that. Any informed tips gratefully welcomed.

Post #58427418th Jan 2010 9:27 pm
CJS

My car is at the dealers now for its annual service and they are looking at the parking sensors at the same time. They have just called to say they are having to remove the rear bumper as they don't think it is one of the sensors. It appears to be a fault with the wiring harness (I have had this replaced twice over the last few years - the last time less than 12 months ago). I should have a final answer on this in the next day or so. I also had a knocking sound at the rear when driving over bumps. I have been told this is a spindle rod on the rear suspension that needs to be replaced (I haven't come across this one before).

Post #58547820th Jan 2010 9:35 am
irl32

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Rear sensor relay keeps sticking, the usual on and of of the ignition seems to fix it, but this morning it stuck again and i was unable to reset it as usual, which resulted in a contant clicking of the relay.

any one have any ideas

Post #58568220th Jan 2010 2:00 pm
CJS

Collected car from the dealer today. Parking sensor problem still not fixed but now they think they know what it is! The wiring loom in the back bumper has been replaced but three of the four sensors are still showing faults. It seems that the salt on the roads and the huge amount of snow we had here has done some damage and water has got into the sensors. In mid February I have booked the Disco in again to replace all four rear sensors. Extended warranty will not cover it so I have to pay about £460!
A rear spindle rod was replaced (something to do with the suspension) to stop the knocking sound but I can still here it on a bumpy surface. Protection plates under the car are full of gravel and muck - maybe this has something to do with this problem as it's not the spare wheel moving, exhaust, anti roll bushes or anything else obvious.
At least there was no extra cost to the 72,000 mile service.

Post #58688321st Jan 2010 5:49 pm
Steff1

Norway 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

My parking sensor fails in mild climate. Display shows 'front parking distance aid inactive', long beep and flashing PDC lamp. The right senter sensor in front as well as one rear sensor dont make the click-sound. But the system works when cold, less than -3 celcius.
Probably the wiring stuff is the problem and not the sensors, since it works now and then.

Are the wiring harness accessable without removing the bumpers?

Thanks for replies!
 Land Rover - It Hurts So Good

2005 TDV6 HSE PP Java Black, 2009-
MTR, Prospeed Quest roof rack, OEM ladder, B.A.S FBH Controller 

Post #60230512th Feb 2010 5:03 pm
c928jon

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I had the parking sensor fault, just a long beep tone when selecting reverse. No faults showing on the dash and all sensors clicking.

I put it down to faulty sensors but as a do or die fix, I took all the sensors out and stood them in a sink with 2.5cm of warm water (just covering the outward sensor part and leaving the electrical part dry. I then left them on the radiator over night. The wiring loom was on the bumper still and this was left in the garage and connectors dried out with a hairdryer.

Put the whole thing back together and its worked fine ever since. The internals of the sensor have foam and I think this was saturated with salty water.

Post #60373615th Feb 2010 12:26 pm
milesg

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Mariana BlackDiscovery 4

Mine did this - turned out I needed 1 new sensor and the PDC loom on one connector has split and come away (a problem from it rubbing against the bumper, common apparently!!). I bought a new LR PDC rear wiring loom (£50), cut off a small section that goes into the sensor and spliced them together. Worked perfectly, now no long beep, sensors working as they should.

I still have the loom and the remaining 3 connectors if yours has gone - PM me

Also have a spare working PDC sensor for the rear.

Post #60381515th Feb 2010 2:28 pm
cheddarwards

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I had the same problem as Milesg, the PDC wiring rubbing the bumper is a common issue & stops the rear sensors working properly.

Yeovil repaired the loom for me when the car was last in & charged me an hours labour (which i thought was fair). Slightly annoying that it is a known issue though & no recal/amendment to the loom has taken place from LR.

Worked fine ever since

Post #60381815th Feb 2010 2:35 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >