Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

Fitting OE screen Navigation and Phone
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 9 123456789>
IanNP

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
Fitting OE screen Navigation and Phone

Even though this is my first post I’ve been wandering round reading the posts about fitting the OE screen, navigation and phone to vehicles that don’t have it factory fitted for a few months.
Most of the replies seem to be that it can’t be done, so being one for a challenge and liking all things original and land rover I have had a go.
It isn’t a task for the faint hearted, as the dash pocket has to be cut out, but it is possible and well worth the end result!

This is before fitting the screen:

This is after fitting the screen:

So far the screen is fitted, the navigation, TMC, and phone. The screen and Nav work OK, the TMC, voice and the phone require a bit of tinkering with the CCF file.
I am hoping that Wiggs may be able to help me with this !?

If anyone is interested I can post more pics and info on how it is done.
Ian

Post #5623208th Dec 2009 11:40 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Welcome Ian Thumbs Up

Great first post . I'm sure others are interested aswell as me to what you have done to get that far .

I can help you out with the ccf file no problem
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #5623258th Dec 2009 11:47 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Ian good job and welcome!!! Bow down Bow down Bow down

Post #5623349th Dec 2009 1:03 am
sideview

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackLR3

Nice Ian, that'd make for a good wiki post Thumbs Up
 I'm not so good at giving advice...may I offer you a sarcastic comment instead?

Haiti Earthquake Relief: Donate Your Frequent Flier Miles 

Post #5623379th Dec 2009 1:26 am
Buckingham

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Would like to see more of this too......
 nil admirari

Post #5625599th Dec 2009 5:24 pm
kernowexpeditionaryforce

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

more please!

Post #5625739th Dec 2009 6:14 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Do you deliver??? Thumbs Up

Post #5625759th Dec 2009 6:18 pm
ajsms999

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
sat nav

Hello Ian,

Just what I've been hoping to do - Any information will be gratefully rec'd. Very Happy

Perfect job - well done Bow down

Thanks
Andrew

Post #5626329th Dec 2009 8:53 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
IanNP

Part 1 - cutting the dash

My discovery was already fitted with the Harmon speaker system and high line head unit. This made things easier as there was little alteration to the existing wiring looms.
I removed the missing parts from a Range Rover Sport at a breakers (which is as far as the looms and electronics go 99% the same). The RRS had the high line navigation along with voice recognition and telephone.
Fitting the navigation on its own would be much simpler and it works without any reprogramming to the vehicle!
The TMC and telephone I am hoping that some tinkering with the Vehicle Configuration File will sort.
From The RRS I removed:
screen, head unit, Speaker surround sound amplifier, DVD navigation, ICE main loom, ICE head unit loom, Dash loom, TMC receiver, Nokia telephone module, FM Ant Amplifier, FM diversity module, TMC Ant amplifier, and the GPS/Telephone Ant.
I had to buy the DVD navigation mounting bracket, voice and telephone steering wheel switches.
I have all the part numbers of the looms which I’ll show as the installation goes on..

I will start with the hardest part - cutting the pocket out of the top of the dash.
There are two dash boards available – one for navigation and one without navigation.
The one without navigation has the pocket fitted where the screen would go, but all the screen mounting points are still moulded in!
The pocket is bonded into place at the bottom and is part of the moulded dash at the top. The dash has to be cut in situ – it is a major undertaking to remove it from the vehicle.
You have to work blind as you can’t see or feel behind the pocket.
Once you start there is NO going back! If you make a mistake cutting the top section you will end up having to replacing the whole of the dash!!

Before unplugging anything make sure the vehicle has gone to sleep. This is usually when the display on the radio has gone off, or the parking brake warning light has gone out. Disconnecting the battery or unplugging modules before the vehicle has gone to sleep will cause problems.

I have removed the radio surround, switchs, radio and heater controls ready to cut the pocket out. I started cutting the bottom first. The pocket here is bonded to the heater assembly. I used a hacksaw blade and a very large flat screw driver to prise the pocket upwards as I cut. I had cut less than an inch when the bond broke all the way across!

This is the back bottom of the pocket. It shows where you need to cut. You can see where I had started to cut, where I had got to before because of the pressure of the flat driver the bond gave way!

A view of the side of the pocket - again showing where you need to cut.

Now to cut the soft dash at the top of the pocket. You have to cut straight back and then across to the other side. Look at the next picture of a dash already cut ....

Here you can see where to cut. The cut is more or less level with the egde of the dashboard Look at the next couple of pictures where the screen is fitted - you can see it fitting up into the resess ...

The pocket is now removed - may cups of coffee have been drunk!

The pocket removed - showing the cut to the soft dash section at the top.

Close-up of the dashboard bond at the bottom of the pocket

Another close-up where you can see some of the 'prize' marks!

Post #56427412th Dec 2009 10:02 pm
IanNP

Part 2a - Main ICE Loom

My vehicle was already fitted with the ‘high line’ head unit so I only needed to fit two new looms and modify the dash loom.
The three looms are:
YMW504411B:
Rear main ICE loom – includes 'most' optic cables, DVD navigation, phone, voice and TMC.
YMW504080:
Front dash ICE loom – 'most' optic cables and 'gvif' navigation cable.
YMG505020:
Dash main loom – includes navigation and screen power.

These three looms will not be the same as those fitted to non navigation vehicles.

I started by fitting the main ICE loom from the rear.
The roof lining needs to be lowered to give access to the rear roof area – no need to remove it completely.

Observe where the exiting looms run and follow them as closley as possible - avoiding any air bag assemblies. Secure the loom as you go either using the clips on the loom, cloth tape or cable ties.
Fit the TMC aerial amplifier (passenger side middle) and plug in the coax and power

Fit the loom round the rear of the vehicle following the existing looms.
Remove the blanking plate for the GPS / Telephone Aeral

The holes are already pre-drilled

Fit the GPS / Telephone Aerial

Underside of GPS / Telephone Aerial. Blue is GPS. Burgandy is Telephone.

Continue fitting the loom across the rear of the vehicle again following the existing looms. The ICE loom now splits, the main loom goes down the back pillar by the air curtain device, a coax, power and earth loom go off to the radio diversity amplifier. The coax and power are not used. Keep the existing loom for the radio. You will only need to connect to earth to the tag - as per the arrow

The loom continues down alongside the air curtain assembly, round the rear seatbelt and down past the fuel filler locking motor - follow the existing looms. Here the TMC Module and Nokia telephone module are located.
I didn't get the mounting bracket for these modules so I had to be creative!
The TMC Module I mounted with one of the existing mounting braket points. It has to be mounted with a bolt as this is where it gets its' earth - as shown. The connections to this module are earth via the bolt, power, 'most' optic cable and the coax ant.

The Nokia module is plastic and sits nicley using double sided sitikey to the underside of the trim panel!

The connectors for the Nokia Module are a multipole and a 'most' optic. If you look in the background you can see the ICE loom appearing at the back door!

This is looking from the rear drivers side back door towards the boot. You can see the TMC Module (red) and the nokia telephone module (green)

.. Time for a coffee break.

Post #56466813th Dec 2009 10:33 pm
kernowexpeditionaryforce

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

looking foward to more of this one m8!

Post #56468813th Dec 2009 11:15 pm
IanNP

2b

To continue forwards the rear seats need removing from the vehicle, also remove the four torx from the front seats, move the whole assembly as far forwards as you can - there is no need to remove them. The centre console needs removing (before unplugging any of the connectors make sure the vehilce is asleep). You should now be able to remove the carpet.

The main ICE loom has a branch just after the end of the wheel arch (GPS/Telephone/Radio Coax) that meanders round the floor pan - shown in green. The existing loom is show red. The rest of the ICE Loom continues along the sill ducting (blue).

The main ICE loom is show blue, existing vehicle loom red. The loom branches again at the 'B' pillar - green. The loom continues forwards to the drivers kick panel and also in the plastic trunking behind the drivers seat. Take not of how the existing loom runs in a plastic housing at the 'B' pillar. Make sure the ICE loom does the same. At the plastic trunking running behind the front seats the loom goes in the clips on the outside - not the inside.

There is also a single earth to connect at the 'B' pillar

Next is the branch going off the power amplifier - which is under the drivers seat. This little section contains the MOST bus optic cable (covered in protective orange sleeving) and a 4 pin connector that is the speed pulse to the navigation and screen microphone cable. Note how the loom is on the outside of the trunking. I have also removed the existing optic loom ...

At the power amplifier unplug the existing most optic and plug in the new one - green. There will also be an unused connector plugged into a BLANK housing - red. Unplug from the blank housing and plug into the new loom connector - blue. Secure the cables - not forgetting to put them through the cut in the carpet!

Just before the centre console the coax loom rejoins the main ICE loom - show red. The loom now continues towards the centre console where there is a split.The thinner section containing the optic comes forwards and the thicker section carries on across the existing loom towards the passenger front seat - blue.
I have removed the existing optic cable - green. This involves unpicking the looming tape then replacing the looming tape on the two black and one blue cables. The optic cable may come in handy another day! Make sure that the clips and keepers are all used.

The loom continues along the outside of the trunking turning towards the front passenger seat.
Feed the loom through the cut in the carpet next to the heater duct.

The bracket for the DVD navigation is fitted next. The part number for the Bracket is YIU500200. There are two cuts in the carpet, under which are 2x2 bolts. Place the braket on these and do up the nuts - which you can get when you get the bracket.

The bracket will only go one way round!

Place the DVD Navigation on the bracket with the DVD slot towards the front of the vehicle. Connect the GPS Aerial (dark blue), the gvif (light blue) and the multipole connector.

The carpet and all the seats can now be put back.
leave out the centre console and the drivers side sill cappings.

Time for another coffee!

Post #56574615th Dec 2009 11:02 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Nice one chap, It's really is great to see such an interesting contribution on the board. If you did not know, i have done an even deeper upgrade myself from Low Line to premium Logic 7, and so i am a bit more into this sort of stuff than most.

Anyway at the risk of spoiling your Coffee break, I see a small problem there which might cause you some trouble that i am more than happy to help you with, well that's what the forum is for innit Thumbs Up

The TMC Antennae Amp you show. From the color and the double screen connector, i don't think its a TMC Antennae amp you have there at all, If you pull off the upper capping from your tailgate you should see one just like that on the right hand side. It's the Antennae diversity Amp.
Ah you say, that's why you only have one pad on the glass, i guess, sadly not, even if you had the right module, it is actually fitted in the wrong place anyway.

see this thread
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic36995.html?highlight=tmc The dark red one on the left in these pictures with the single screen connector is the TMC amp which is quite clearly fitted on the rear screen glass.

The reason you have fitted it there is no doubt because that's where your wiring led to, and so it should because that is about where it is indeed fitted on a RRS which is what you got your loom from.

Now you might get away with putting your TMC on that central nearside rear glass screen element, i don't know, but i do know on a D3 it is normally used for things like sat radio and the like, the ones either side being used for TV. The sport glass is obviously different in that the center element is designed for TMC.

Now perhaps you are thinking to give it a try anyway, however I can also perhaps give you another bit of help and food for thought, i have noted that the premium systems have small 2 isolator units fitted in the lower part of the upper tailgate. I suspect these are required to allow the rear elements to be used as Antenneas, I really do not know what the score is in respect of the central nearside rear glass screen element, and if opting for the D3 OEM location i would also check if they are fitted.

For fitting the connector to the glass, i found the terminal off a PP9 battery is the same and it can be soldered to the glass but with gravity working against you i opted for conductive epoxy. Its expensive and does not stick that well, but with care it can be done.

Also watch out for when you bolt the drivers seat back in, the black plastic bridge pieces were modified to hold the ICE loom closer with a bit of a tray on the front side, but the earlier ones allowed the coax's and other ICE loom wires to bow out enough that the rear left (from the rear) seat mounting plate could pinch them.
It happened to me and i since found out it was a common build problem Thumbs Up

Now if you have not gone off your coffee yet. i do have some good news, I actually have a spare TMC Antennea Amp and i am looking for a diversity Amp, if you want to do a swap, gimme a shout.

I am also intrigued by your Fin, can you tell me did you get that of the sport or buy it new, in either case can you give me the part number. You see on the D3 (and i thought the Sport) the fin only contains the phone Antennea, and the GPS is a separate box fitted under the High Level Brake lamp.

I am really hoping you got it off the Sport along with the NAV unit because therin lies another possible problem.
Both the NAV unit and the GPS Antennea are listed as either Enhanced or not, and i think (although not proven) that only the enhanced Nav unit can support TMC.

I really hope that this helps you achieve your aims, and once again on behalf of everyone, thank you for sharing your project with us.

warmest regards

Colin

Post #56720718th Dec 2009 7:19 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
IanNP

Bow down
Thanks for the info.
The tailgate on the RRS had been removed, but this box was hanging all plugged in but without a home.
As the TMC icon has not appeared as an option on the screen it is a 'job in progress'. hopfully the bbs will be able to configure these. I am expecting many great things of the BBS!
Probably a job for wiggs Wink
I have a spare FM/AM diversity unit (XUC000262) and probably.
I also have another amplifier module XUI500071 - can't remember what that is..!
I have had a look at my tailgate glass - it has a single push pad connecter already on the glass.

The fin can form a 2007 RRS. The GPS and Tepehone ant are both built into it. Blue for GPS and burgandy for the telephone.

All the units and loom that I have fitted came from the RRS. It had all features enabled - 4x4 screen, on/off road nav, TMC, voice and telephone. When I have transfered it to my D3 the on/off road nav works 100%. The TMC icon is not presant, the phone is not preseant (I get a message 'phone removed' at switch on) and the voice is not presant. This I guess is because my CCF is not configured for them.

Ian

Post #56728418th Dec 2009 10:38 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Voice , TMC and phone all need to be switched on in the ccf file Thumbs Up

Good gob Bow down keep the piccys comming
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #56736919th Dec 2009 9:49 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 9 123456789>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >