Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Replacement battery
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
John C

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
Replacement battery

Had a couple of shaky starts (even after long runs) recently, and had to jump start it this morning Embarassed

It's never been quite the same since I pretty much drained it in the summer Embarassed

What's the perceived wisdom on replacement batteries please. Decent motor factor? Optima? or Genuine?

Thanks
 2020 SDV6 D5 HSE, Carpathian Grey +
2022 Tesla Model Y LR... almost Carpathian Grey
Previously : 2005 TDV6 SE Auto, Cairns Blue (288K) - ours for 16 years 

Post #5584681st Dec 2009 10:50 am
philhunt

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

John

I bought one of these last year and you will see that it has a 5 year warranty on it. I and a number of people I know have used this firm for all their battery requirements for a number of years. They are very helpful on the phone.

TAYNA Electrical Supplies
 Clubs Mantec, Tasmods, LEDS, AT2s on 18s, Maxxis Bighorns on 17s, Remote FBH, BAS. ReMap, BSS., RLD Personalised SWP., Safari Snorkel, Faultmate, Three Musketeers & MUD

Post #5584841st Dec 2009 11:09 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mzplcg

England 

^^^^as above.

Also, if you can afford it, get the CTEK charger. They're really good and can often recover sulphated batteries. I have the Ctek7000 which was 100 quid but it recovered the battery on my wife's car when the dealer had condemned it. That alone saved me 180 quid.

Post #5584871st Dec 2009 11:13 am
John C

Great stuff - many thanks Thumbs Up

Post #5585121st Dec 2009 12:28 pm
John C

Just checked and the genuine LR ones are £104...

Forgetting about price for a second - is the Varta a better battery than the genuine one?

Thanks,

John

Post #5585981st Dec 2009 3:24 pm
BrumLee

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Got one of these for £43 from Equicar 4x4. Higher ampage than standard fit so a bit more umph Thumbs Up

Also regenerated my original battery with the C-TEK clone charger from LIDL for £12, so happy all round that I'm ready for any cold weather and no HDC, etc warnings Thumbs Up

Post #5586171st Dec 2009 4:16 pm
philhunt

When I was doing my shopping around, I'm certain that the Varta was a better overall spec than the Land Rover badged one - the Varta also carries a 5 year warranty
 Clubs Mantec, Tasmods, LEDS, AT2s on 18s, Maxxis Bighorns on 17s, Remote FBH, BAS. ReMap, BSS., RLD Personalised SWP., Safari Snorkel, Faultmate, Three Musketeers & MUD

Post #5586231st Dec 2009 4:27 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
John C

Thanks Phil - yes - the Varta one is 5 year warranty, whereas LR is 1 year - so thanks for that.

Lee - just checked the part number on that. Apparently it's for the TDV8 - but it fits the TDV6 tray. At 950 Amps vs 825 for cranking I guess I'm not going to have any problems there Thumbs Up

Mmmm.... decisions... decisions... Rolling Eyes

Thanks all for your help! Thumbs Up

Post #5586271st Dec 2009 4:30 pm
John C

ps - anyone know what the black tube is that's connected to the top of the battery - similar gauge to washer jet hose?

Post #5586301st Dec 2009 4:36 pm
philhunt

Think it must be a breather of some sort

Post #5586331st Dec 2009 4:38 pm
lee157

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

John C wrote:
Just checked and the genuine LR ones are £104...

Forgetting about price for a second - is the Varta a better battery than the genuine one?

Thanks,

John

When I had my service done by TFC he said varta were origional equip for landrover, and recommended them,i opted for the varta one from tayna quoted above, next day delivery and had no problems with HDC fault on start up and also no probs with doors failing to lock and unlock which I was experiencing with the 5 year old origional one.

Varta recommended from me Thumbs Up

Lee

Post #5587451st Dec 2009 7:15 pm
WaznotWas

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

John,

Just read through your post and wondered what the cause of the shaky starts was. On thursday night last week I got in mine to leave the office, turned the key and .......zip no solenoid click, no starter spinning - nothing except all the instrument warning lights came on and then went off after the systems check "bong". Lights working everything else working but no starting.

Called LRA and techie arrives , connects up his jump leads to his car, connects to my battery and ............nothing.

He then brings out his battery booster pack connects that as well and after a a few seconds - like the starter was starting in slow motion and running up to speed, it kicked in properly and started the car. This was while the booster pack AND the jump leads were connected to my battery.

He told me that there was a chance that something in the bluetooth, was not disconnecting even though the key was out of the ignition and the door locked. As a result, all the power amps etc for the audio, satnav, bluetooth etc were still drawing power and this had drained the battery enough to stop it starting.

It has been fine since he started it last week until just now, when exactly the same thing has happened. left work drove 60 miles home, parked and was just going to fuel up for tomorrow and the bloody thing does not have enough juice to turn the starter.

Does anyone know WTF might be / is causing this, not that I'm doubting the LRA techie for a minute, and what can be done to stop it. Car is 07 with oroginal battery so it might be time for a change, but don't want to buy a new one for the sake of it and have the same sh*t happen egain..
 FORECAST FOR TONIGHT: things have happened out there!!!
The countryside is still OURS!!
Club 3 Musketeers, Club D3C, Club Midland CB, Club Vertex PMR, Club GNVP Sump Plate, Club GNVP Sliders, Club Uncle Ray Spare Wheel Protector, Club Smooth Steering Wheel, Club McStuckie
07 HSE Z Silver, black leather, Black RRS badges,
19" anthracite wheels - off, 18" Silver / General AT2's - on,
300 TDI Disco 1 - Sheltering the lawn! 

Post #5590542nd Dec 2009 1:28 am
philhunt

Did LRA check alternator output? When I had to call LRA for a dead battery, they checked the battery condition even though it was very new to rule out a fault with it.

Post #5590862nd Dec 2009 8:46 am
WaznotWas

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Hi Phil,

Yes he checked and also plugged in the computer but there were no faults registered.

This morning called out LRA and when the guy came, handed him the key. He turned it on, waited for the system check to do its thing, got the bong, turned the key and voila, like a record speeding up the starter turned slowly, then picked up speed, and the bloody thing started. Confused

He got under to try and see if there were loose leads on the starter, checked the leads to the battery, but the wierd thing is that it can't be the battery going completely flat as there was enough juice in it to turn the engine and start it.

He asked all the normal questions, was it in park or neutral, was everything switched off last night before and after I tried to start it etc, etc. To say I was dumbfounded when it started was an understatement Shocked

He thinks it may be something to do with the immobiliser so have booked it into Stratstone for them to do a diagnostic on it (and change the NSF wheel bearing under warranty) to see what the problem is.

So driven to work and will see tonight if it start up when I want to go home tonight!!!!

The saga continues Whistle
 FORECAST FOR TONIGHT: things have happened out there!!!
The countryside is still OURS!!
Club 3 Musketeers, Club D3C, Club Midland CB, Club Vertex PMR, Club GNVP Sump Plate, Club GNVP Sliders, Club Uncle Ray Spare Wheel Protector, Club Smooth Steering Wheel, Club McStuckie
07 HSE Z Silver, black leather, Black RRS badges,
19" anthracite wheels - off, 18" Silver / General AT2's - on,
300 TDI Disco 1 - Sheltering the lawn! 

Post #5592072nd Dec 2009 12:34 pm
philhunt

Very strange Warren - obviously something's causing a serious drain when the engine's switched off and all's supposedly gone to sleep. Good luck and keep us posted. Interested to know what Stratstone's diagnostics find.

Post #5592162nd Dec 2009 12:57 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >