DISCO3.CO.UK > General

'Russian' Discos in continental Europe?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
pollafero

Belgium 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3
'Russian' Discos in continental Europe?

Hi everyone,

Having worn out two TD5's in 10 years time, I decided, some two months ago, to buy myself a Disco 3. Lucky me: because of the D4 being announced, there were lots of bargains around on the D3. Yet, not being Croesus, nor a drugs dealer or having won the lottery, and not being particularly fond of surround sound in the car (!), I went, after a few weeks scouting, for a 'S'- version I spotted at a independent Land Rover garage near Bruges. No navigation, no high-end sound, no dvd and so on, but car had the options I definitely wanted: automatic gearbox and air suspension/terrain response. Plus cruise control (but no remote switches for audio on steering wheel). Car was offered at some 40K euros, a rather reasonable price tag no regular Land Rover dealer here in Belgium could (or would) offer. Especially since the seller also threw in a removable tow bar as an extra.

Last week I picked it up and finally got to understand why all the people on this forum (and elsewhere) seem to like their D3 so much... Very Happy. Seller told me he imported the car himself from The Netherlands, but that doesn't necessarily mean the car initially was meant for the Dutch market of course. So I was wondering if there was any way to find out - for instance based on the VIN - for what market the car initially was build. At another 'free' Land Rover garage I was told a Whole batch of Land Rovers (Disco's as well as Range Sports) that were produced for the Russian market, were dumped on the European market, because of the collapse of the demand in Russia. It could very well be that my car is one of these, especially as I discovered - both to my surprise and my joy - it has a Fuel Burn Heater fitted. An accessory that most certainly is not fitted by default in cars destined for the Belgian (or Dutch) market. Anyway: my brand new D3 has - of course - a European Certificate of Conformity. Don't know if this is the case with 'Russian' Disco's... Rolling Eyes

Has anyone an idea where/how I could gather more infomation on this matter?

Thanks already.

Post #54985011th Nov 2009 9:18 pm
JF Lux

Luxembourg 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Re: 'Russian' Discos in continental Europe?

pollafero wrote:
especially as I discovered - both to my surprise and my joy - it has a Fuel Burn Heater fitted. An accessory that most certainly is not fitted by default in cars destined for the Belgian (or Dutch) market

Confused Sure about that? I have never heard of that before. If the FBH wasn't available in Belgium then I doubt it would be fitted to mine (and NJF's) D3. LR Lux is bascially LR BeLux and vehicles come through the Belgian distribution.

Re: your question on Russian vehicles - maybe PaulP can give some input. One of the Discotr.es (Spanish forum) members I met this year has a "Russian" D3 that he recently acquired.
 The next American ex-pat that calls it a "truck" is going to find out what 2.7 tons feels like on their foot...

Club "yes, I too have had the EGR's replaced..."
Club "yes, I too have had the compressor replaced..."
Club "yes, I too once had the car at the dealer for a couple of weeks nearly 4 weeks over 4 weeks...5 weeks"
Club "yes, I too have had EPB failure..."
Club "yes, I too get mysterious bings and bongs..." 

Post #54985811th Nov 2009 9:43 pm
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Yep - there's a load of Russian ones doing the rounds in Europe.

As far as I know, it wasn't due to a lack of demand, but because a few of them caught fire due to the dodgy fuel in that part of the world.

The problem I think is vaguely related to the P008 High Pressure Fuel Pump recall going on now in most of the world.

The cars often have a 'strange' specification, but are perfect. There's two users on DiscoTr.es with Russian D3s - David has one with leather seats, rear e-diff but no fog lights, and another with fog lights, but something else missing.

I wouldn't be worried about it at all. I'll ask David if his has the FBH fitted and let you know asap.

Cheers,
Paul
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #54986411th Nov 2009 10:01 pm
evo8

Slovakia 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 S Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

I was under impression that ALL TDV6 engines have the FBH installed. However - most of the owners will never really know that they have it there Smile
 2013 D4 TDV6 S; Baltic Blue; IID Tool BT
2007 D3 TDV6 SE, Auto; club Faultmate MSV2 

Post #54988011th Nov 2009 10:15 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SJR

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

evo8 wrote:
However - most of the owners will never really know that they have it there Smile

Until they post on here asking why there is smoke coming from the front n/s wheel arch Laughing Thumbs Up
 I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 - 

Post #54988511th Nov 2009 10:19 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Not all, Australia & SA don't get them, suspect it's the same for other warmer climates
 The End  
Post #54988711th Nov 2009 10:19 pm
Bushwanderer

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Thanks Slimer,
It's nice to be remembered. Thumbs Up

Best Wishes,
Peter
 The Bearded Dragon  
Post #54990611th Nov 2009 10:38 pm
pollafero

Re: 'Russian' Discos in continental Europe?

Unnecessary quote removed

You're absolutely right, JF Lux: LR Lux is part of LR Belux and vehicles for Luxemburg come through Belgian Distribution. But when scrutinizing all ads, folders, flyers, price lists, spec lists, price lists etc. of Land Rover Belux, I have never seen a single mention of the FBH, either as standard equipment or as an option. Even the 'Cold Climate Pack' option doesn't mention the FBH. German cars often do have it. Maybe I should post a message in de Dutch forum to learn if there are more Belgian D3- owners who have the FHB in their car.

Thanks Paul. I just read about the recall related to the P008. Will have to check if this applies to my car too. Specs of my D3 are a bit peculiar indeed: cruise control (as I said) but no remote switches for audio. Fully fledged spare wheel too. But no fog lights, no parking radar...There is a chap in Italy (near Bolzano) who has a whole bunch of these D3's in stock: see http://nl.autoscout24.be/NewMarketDetails.aspx?id=164881083

Post #54990711th Nov 2009 10:40 pm
JF Lux

Luxembourg 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Well, I live and learn... Laughing Thumbs Up

Welcome to the site anyway. And hope to see you on some events in the region...?
 The next American ex-pat that calls it a "truck" is going to find out what 2.7 tons feels like on their foot...

Club "yes, I too have had the EGR's replaced..."
Club "yes, I too have had the compressor replaced..."
Club "yes, I too once had the car at the dealer for a couple of weeks nearly 4 weeks over 4 weeks...5 weeks"
Club "yes, I too have had EPB failure..."
Club "yes, I too get mysterious bings and bongs..." 

Post #55000812th Nov 2009 8:15 am
disco_doozle

Belgium 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Anyway,

Have fun with your Disco and "welkom" to the forum 8)
 Disco 3 TDV6 Aut. 7 seat, Zambezi silver, Privacy glass, Rosen A9 DVD, Tow-kit, K&N airfilter, Frontrunner Windcheetah + 4xHella Comet 550, tailgate ladder, 5 breaklights Smile, Performance BB6 17" + Duratracs 256/70R17, RLD Skid-plate, Traxide second battery setup, Lightguards, BAS EGR's blank kit, BAS Silicone hose, Black bonnet decal,  
Post #55004512th Nov 2009 11:05 am
Discoeast

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

That sounds right for the SA spec S, when I bought mine there
was an A6 & A7 spec for the S range. The A6 had cloth seats(7) with
STD air con and drivers door window switch with the one touch open/
close function. A7 had leather seats(7), climate control and both
front door windows have one touch function. The whole TDV6 range
came STD with E-diff and no FBH.
 D3 bullbar-spots-roof rack with spots-ladder-long range tank-swing out spare wheel carrier- upgraded tow bar-dash console-internal water tank-duel awnings-drawer system & T T.  
Post #55005112th Nov 2009 11:32 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
pollafero

-Tnx Jay Ef. Tell me: how do I become aware of these events in the region?
BTW: Are you having problems with American ex-pats? Smile

- Tnx too disco_doozle (almost typed 'disco_doodle')... Wink You clearly are doing a lot of off-roading...Maybe the only person in Bree who is not playing tennis? Wink

- Don't know exactly what A6 spec and A7 spec means, DiscoEast (Yes, I'm an absolute newbie on this forum). Please tell me. Most certainly my car was not ment for SA market: unless I'm terribly wrong, you guys drive at the left? Mine is LHD of course.
BTW: just a few days ago I downloaded 'Doreen' from the Tomtom website. Doreen is the voice in Afrikaans for Tomtom navi's. Absolutely cute! ("...over die cirkel, draai regs...derde afdraai... etc" Laughing

Greetz.

PS: je moe nie huil nie, je moe nie treur nie Thumbs Up

Post #55007712th Nov 2009 12:49 pm
Discoeast

pollafero, Seeing you got a handle on "Afrikaans", all you need now
is to come down here and use it Bow down Bow down Bow down Thumbs Up
The Garmin Nuvi range also have it now as STD Thumbs Up
I don't think your D3 is a SA spec S, but your S spec ticks all the
right boxes and there is nothing wrong with that Thumbs Up
 D3 bullbar-spots-roof rack with spots-ladder-long range tank-swing out spare wheel carrier- upgraded tow bar-dash console-internal water tank-duel awnings-drawer system & T T.  
Post #55009812th Nov 2009 2:03 pm
pollafero

Discoeast wrote:
pollafero, Seeing you got a handle on "Afrikaans", all you need now
is to come down here and use it

Great idea! Will have to wait a bit though. It will be Kenia first, in 1 1/2 months time. Jambo!

Maybe next year, who knows. In the mean time I will further practice my Afrikaans Whistle

Greetz

PS: Bobbejaan beklim die berg, so haastig en so lustig... Rolling with laughter

Post #55045712th Nov 2009 11:13 pm
Discoeast

Quote:
PS: Bobbejaan beklim die berg, so haastig en so lustig...

Greetz
Lustig Whistle Whistle did you not mean lastig
Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
Post #55053913th Nov 2009 7:33 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >