DISCO3.CO.UK > Photos, Videos & Media

Posting pictures of our 4x4 adventures
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 
Posting pictures of our 4x4 adventures

Rather than spoil the Salisbury thread. Lets discuss the posting of pictures with mud on your roof or seemingly abusing lanes. I think that for PR reasons we should be careful as to what is posted, why? because the pictures can be taken out of context.
There is also the fact that most event goers will have Disco3 stickers on their vehicles so members of the public could and actually have found us here and expressed an opinion.

MacLeod can you please let a few other members have their say before you go wading in Thumbs Up
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #53347412th Oct 2009 6:03 pm
RPG

United Kingdom 

and we might be needing this again Rolling Eyes

Post #53348212th Oct 2009 6:19 pm
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

No not at all just thought we could discuss what we the site think is appropriate. This Salisbury thread has had comments as have other day out threads. Do we set a guide line as to what pictures are acceptable. On private land there is no issue.
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #53349412th Oct 2009 6:34 pm
Stu

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Personally I thnk the forum is suffering for all the Censored that's flying about at the moment and I don't just mean the Salisbury Photos, I don't think these sorts of "discussions" are healthy. they just seem to be a way for people to upset each other. Can we please go back to the usual banter and rubbish and mickey taking that is normal.

I'm hoping Neil will get a new hair cut and provide us all with some material to work with! Very Happy
 D3 HSE MY05 Auto

Expo Rack, Club MTR, LR Spots, A Bar, Light Guards, GNVP Sump Guard, GNVP Ladder, Cup Holders, RLD A Bar brackets. Disco3Club stickers, Aux power on Mod 

Post #53349512th Oct 2009 6:35 pm
wvlenthe

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

AndrewS wrote:
On private land there is no issue.

When the reason for self-censoring is pictures taken out of their context, I'd say the same should apply for photos taken on private land. No-one is going to mention the fact that this particular picture was taken on private land if they are going to abuse it anyhow...

My 2 cents.

regards, Wiljo
 D3 V8 HSE Auto in Zermatt silver - driveway version gone but not forgotten, only the living room cupboard version remains  
Post #53350112th Oct 2009 6:42 pm
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

I dont know what the answer is to this, to be honest - as we know from the photos in the tabloid newspaper, a shot of a split second in time can give a completely different picture to reality.

Wasnt there one recently of Prince Charles screwing his face up and sticking his tongue out at some function ? - turned out he was just about to or in the process of sneezing !! - the camera often captures what the eyes cant see or only see for an instant...
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #53351512th Oct 2009 6:54 pm
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Re: Posting pictures of our 4x4 adventures

AndrewS wrote:

MacLeod can you please let a few other members have their say before you go wading in Thumbs Up

Will do Thumbs Up , but innocently I enjoy event pics and editorial. At 1st glance did'nt notice much wrong, but having looked through some, they can be mis-interpreted.

In defence of those pics, 90% have had proper training, or attended training, so a picture can lead a 1000 translations and support Wingers comment on thinking before allowing a pic in the public domain........................................ Thumbs Up

Post #53351812th Oct 2009 6:56 pm
JF Lux

Luxembourg 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Interesting discussion point.

One side of me says we shouldn't have to justify.

The other side says we should be (just a little bit) careful with how an event is reported and how the pictures are posted. That doesn't mean anyone should hold back from posting an interesting photo.

Whether we like it or not, we are driving vehicles that are not exactly the most popular with a number of factions in society (be it due to political persuasion, chosen approach to lifestyle or plain stupidity and jealousy). Add that to having pictures that can be easily miss-interpreted and we are the ones that will come off worse. And this site.

We don't have to like it - but a belligerent approach of "just f Censored k 'em...I'm doing nothing wrong..." will get the forum, 4x4's, green-laning, petitioning to keep rights of way open etc...etc...absolutely no where.

I think we need to take the moral high ground and be sensible and careful. At the end of the day, we are the minority.

I've read the posts in the Salisbury event thread - and I have some understanding for what Griz has said. It doesn't matter if he was there or not - it is what is seen that matters. Without some sort of photo description to explain why a picture looks like it does, it is obvious that everyone else will interpret it differently. The same goes for posts trying to defend actions if you weren't at the event. It doesn't help. Saying "they are all a great bunch of guys..." is totally meaningless.

Andrew - I agree with you. We need to be careful and cognizant of the current feeling towards our activity and continue on the forum appropriately. Keep posting pictures - but tray and make sure there is something that keeps them in context.
 The next American ex-pat that calls it a "truck" is going to find out what 2.7 tons feels like on their foot...

Club "yes, I too have had the EGR's replaced..."
Club "yes, I too have had the compressor replaced..."
Club "yes, I too once had the car at the dealer for a couple of weeks nearly 4 weeks over 4 weeks...5 weeks"
Club "yes, I too have had EPB failure..."
Club "yes, I too get mysterious bings and bongs..." 

Post #53352212th Oct 2009 7:12 pm
Wex

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Re: Posting pictures of our 4x4 adventures

MacLeod 313 wrote:
AndrewS wrote:

Will do Thumbs Up , but innocently I enjoy event pics and editorial. At 1st glance did'nt notice much wrong, but having looked through some, they can be mis-interpreted.

In defence of those pics, 90% have had proper training, or attended training, so a picture can lead a 1000 translations and support Wingers comment on thinking before allowing a pic in the public domain........................................ Thumbs Up

Thud Evidently you can't Rolling Eyes

Post #53353412th Oct 2009 7:46 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

I have never been keen on photo's being posted as they often seem to create arguments and comments as they are taken out of context. I think pretty much every event has caused some argument over photo's, so I can't be bothered to post anymore. Happy to share them with people who were with me and anybody else who asks.

It's not worth the hassle.

Post #53360012th Oct 2009 8:54 pm
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Comments noted; although I originally stated my photos were a result of my stupidity and not any bravado (and by day two I was in much better control of the car and didn't cock up anywhere near as badly) that 3/60th of a second snapshot into a 7 hour day is obviously far too contentious, so the photos have been removed.
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #53374212th Oct 2009 11:11 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Thread tidied up. Thumbs Up Off Topic content removed.

Post #53376213th Oct 2009 12:01 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >