Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

vibration at 1500 to 2000rpm
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Heyloft

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
vibration at 1500 to 2000rpm

Newbie, apologise if this has been posted elsewhere.

Has anyone else experienced a vibration between 1500 to 2000rpm from the steering wheel (in any gear at any speed)? I suffered this problem on a RR Sport S 1st Edition. It spent a time at Gaydon and LR say they fixed it. ALthough as far as I am concerned they just moved it to 500rpm where it didn't affect driving.

I have replaced the RR Sport 2 weeks ago(lemon and needed more room) and hey my Disco 3 TDV6 has the same problem, a droning type vibration through the steering wheel, but only between 1500-2000rpm. The dealer says they cannot feel a problem. But I can ! (I can, can't I ??? I mean I am sure it's there......yes yes it is)

Any ideas???
Is the "Manual Gear 3 vibration" coincidence??
 Wot's that in Old Money

Fuji White D4 HSE-LUX
rear entertainment
TV
TPMS
Park Heater
Centre Console cooler box 

Post #516892nd Apr 2006 6:52 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

You got here! You will get much more help over here. Some of the guys on the 'other' forum still think they will fall off the edge if they go past the horizon Wink

I just went for a drive in mine to drop someone off at the airport, and I specifically tried to replicate your symptom.

There is a certain sweet spot in the torque band that if you get it just right, pulls very nicely from 1500 rpm without changing down, and then the auto box changes up at about 2200 rpm. If you give it too much throttle, it will drop a gear.

In this situation, when it does not change down, there is a background 'growl' and yes I did feel a very slight high frequency vibraton in the steering wheel.

The fact that I had to go and look for this means it must be very marginal. I honestly had not noticed it.

I like to feel the power Wink I sometimes drive my dads jag, and that is so smooth, you feel detached from reality, I prefer a little senstation to let me know whats happening.

I hope that the fact that mine does it too gives you comfort that there is more than likely no fault.

Post #516912nd Apr 2006 7:03 pm
Heyloft

Garath,
thanks for you prompt reply. Maybe having suffered it for 6 months with the Supercharged Sport has made me a tad "sensitive"/paranoid.

power vibration I can handle, but when the vibration kicks in, it is not constant vibration up to the Auto Change, it pulsates, a droning or throbbing sensation. It was reading the "manual Gear 3 vibration between 1500-2000rpm" bulletin on the GTR that made me think.

Also while i'm here:- The cabin pre-heater. Have they stopped fitting them? I didn't make a point of it when I ordered the disco, I assumed it was a given, but now I think about it, I expected to get a separate fob (I had one with my RR 3.0 diesel)
 Wot's that in Old Money

Fuji White D4 HSE-LUX
rear entertainment
TV
TPMS
Park Heater

Post #516942nd Apr 2006 7:18 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I think you shoud ask a dealer for a test drive, and see if your car is different.

The Webasto heater! where do I start, tell you what, do a search on here for pre-heater and you will occupy yourself for weeks reading up about it.

The short version is that there is no programmable pre-heater. Early cars have a mis-build where the software was included to pre-heat, but it does not work unless you leave the radio on! 06 model has this feature deleted.

The webasto looks like a sandwich box in the front left hand corner of the engine bay. It fires up when the air temp is below 6 degrees, and the engine temp below 75 degrees. It makes a smell (can be fixed with an air con software update), and worries some new owners when they see smoke coming out from the front left wheel.

Post #516962nd Apr 2006 7:32 pm
Heyloft

Will start reading up on the pre-heater !

The vibration...... I'll have to try another dealer. The Sport S spent a total of 11 weeks with current dealer out of the 26 I had it, on the same vibration fault. Don't want to go down that route again.

Apart from the vibration & a minor paint run no other faults found after 2 weeks.....this is a record in 10 years of Range Rovers and Discos. I would normally have a long list.
 Wot's that in Old Money

Fuji White D4 HSE-LUX
rear entertainment
TV
TPMS
Park Heater

Post #516982nd Apr 2006 7:42 pm
adara

Romania 

Did you check the engine oil level? Topping it could help..

Post #517032nd Apr 2006 8:04 pm
Heyloft

adara wrote:
Did you check the engine oil level? Topping it could help..

I've checked the levels, they are ok. Its only 10 days old.... if any of the levels are low, the PDI must have been very bad.
 Wot's that in Old Money

Fuji White D4 HSE-LUX
rear entertainment
TV
TPMS
Park Heater

Post #517052nd Apr 2006 8:12 pm
hutch

Range Rover Sport Steering vibration

I took delivery of my Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE 3 weeks ago and it has the same vibration through the steerin wheel which is most noticeable between 1500 and 2000rpm. It is not speed dependent and is worst when slight load on steering. Seems to be getting worse and dealer has ordered new front wheel bearing. I am not sure if this will cure it.

Post #5357115th Apr 2006 7:55 pm
Heyloft

Sounds the same as the RRSport Supercharged I got rid of!!

The Disco3 TDV6 has it but its minor in comparrison. Still bloody annoying though.

If it's not speed dependent I doubt it is the wheel bearings, it wasn't on mine !! Often it was worse pulling at 30mph just before auto change. And on the motorway at 50-60mph. It used to make my fingers tingle.

Does it happen when stationary. If you rev upto say 2500 and let it fall back down, do you get a vibration as it passes down through the 1500-2000rpm ??

Like I have said previously, my RRSport went off to LR for a fix, but I'm not convinced they cured it.
 Wot's that in Old Money

Fuji White D4 HSE-LUX
rear entertainment
TV
TPMS
Park Heater

Post #5358715th Apr 2006 9:17 pm
wallie

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
DISCO 3 VIBRATION

Question MY DISCO SUFFERS FROM EXACTLY THE SAME VIBRATION YOU GUYS ARE REFERRING TO. I WENT AS FAR AS REPLACING THE GOOD YEAR WRANGLER TYRES WITH PIRELLI SCORPIONS WITH NO LUCK. THIS IS MY SECOND DISCO AND THE PREVIOUS ONE HAD NO VIBRATION ON IT. SOMEBODY MUST HAVE AN ANSWER TO THIS. MAYBE LR ? DONT LET ANYONE TELL YOU IT IS NOT THERE AS IT DEFINITELY IS AN AGGRIVATING PROBLEM. Exclamation

Post #565175th May 2006 1:45 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

also get this on mine (manual box) it seems a lot worse with the 19" Goodyear MT/R's on but is still there with the Scorpion Zero's which makes me think it's got something to do with drivetrain harmonics. Definitely related to revs not roadspeed though

Post #6077628th May 2006 3:36 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
zig

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I also was able to feel vibration at 1500 to 2000rpm coming through the steering wheel/bulkhead. Had dealer look at it with no success.

However, I found that by slightly adjusting the routing of the cables, tying back loose connectors under the bonnet on the other side of the bulkhead in the compartment which has a cover, in order to prevent resonances, I was able to get rid of the problem.

Post #6084028th May 2006 10:53 pm
wallie

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
VIBRATION BETWEEN 80 KMH AND 110 KMH

I had road forced wheel balancing done with no success. I am of the opinion that this is a speed thing. Driving in manual mode at 1500 to 2000 rpm in 2nd or 3rd makes no difference. The moment I get to 80 kmh the fun and games begin up to about 110 kmh. Interesting about the re-routing of the wires. I will send you a pm to get more info on this. Thks for your reply. Question

Post #6087629th May 2006 11:26 am
Vo Rogue

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

One difference between the Automatic TDV6's and the petrol 6's and V8's is that there is a vibration damper fitted to the Torque Converter so LR at the design stage obviously worked on this issue with ZF (who make the gear box). Perhaps for some vehicles the damping is insufficient and while it might have been adequate for the test/protoype vehicles when 10,000's are manufactured there are enough manufacturing differences so it causes a problem on some vehicles but not others.

Equally the problem might just be that your vehicle has been fitted with a box (for a V8 or V6) without the damper fitted because other than the damper the box's are apparently identical. One would presume that there is a difference in coupling or something to make sure this could not happen but who knows.

Post #6123331st May 2006 12:02 am
SumpNut

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Apologies for bumping up a 10 year old thread - but has anyone ever got to the bottom of this vibration?

My 2007 D3 is suffering from it and I'm sure it wasn't like that when I first got it...?

Cheers
Daniel

Post #166990419th Jun 2016 8:57 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >