DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Suspension - again
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
frogall

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
Suspension - again

Reopening the suspension thread......

Is there any recent update on the general opinion that the air suspension is OK whatever it does when the car is parked as long as it settles to the correct level when the engine is started?

Mine has decided to consistently drop at the front if left for about 24hrs. It always sets itself again when started. I'm wondering whether there are any known connections, joins or seals which should be checked, or if this is a hint of something bad about to happen?
 I'm on a whisky diet. I've lost three days already.  
Post #49827521st Jul 2009 10:07 pm
mozza

United Kingdom 

Mine had suspension fault, new compressor fitted. Was still not right and tended to wobble up to cruse height.

It would drop overnight to the front corner and could hear a slight hiss. Suspension fault bong after 30/40 miles. Took back to the dealer who diagnosed a bad suspension strut (and £800 of other work needed doing). None in stock so booked it in for a week later. During the week the bong got more and more frequent, down to about 5 miles. Garage changed the strut but then called at to say that after the hoover and wash they notices it still sinking and the hiss. Turned out to be a damaged hose. No hose repair kit in stock so lent me a 09 disco for the weekend (delivered to my home by the service manager with an apology - but a manual - had forgotten what one was like).

Car back to normal - I know nothing about under the bonnet but sounds the same so check for hissing. I was told that it should level but not drop right down when parked overnight.

Good luck

Mozza
 ----------------------------
05 HSE + IPOD + IPHONE + TV/DVD
Storno Grey 

Post #49828021st Jul 2009 10:33 pm
frogall

Ta mozza Thumbs Up

I've looked again today, and it appears to me that the rear right is as raised as the front left is lowered, implying no loss of pressure, just weird redistribution.

Wonder if it could be anything to do with the high side being in the Sunshine, and the low side in the shade?

Nevertheless, fixes itself when car is started.

I'll have a hose inspection anyway.
Post #49856022nd Jul 2009 5:00 pm
JR

South Africa 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

I've got into the habbit of lowering to access height just before parking overnight, for no other reason, but to make getting in and out a touch easier - I also like playing... 8)

Is it a bad thing to be raising and lowering the suspension? More to the point - is it prone to failure from over use?

Post #49921923rd Jul 2009 10:29 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

frogall wrote:
I've looked again today, and it appears to me that the rear right is as raised as the front left is lowered, implying no loss of pressure, just weird redistribution.

Wonder if it could be anything to do with the high side being in the Sunshine, and the low side in the shade?

Nevertheless, fixes itself when car is started.
Sounds like you've self-diagnosed the issue Thumbs Up personally I wouldn't be worried as it appears that the self levelling is working as advertised and there are no issues once the vehicle is driven  
Post #49922123rd Jul 2009 10:35 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
wvlenthe

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

JR wrote:
Is it a bad thing to be raising and lowering the suspension? More to the point - is it prone to failure from over use?

It is called access heigth so you can easily get in and out. Implying that you use it like this every time you get out. My dad has his D3 configured so that it lowers itself when parked either by the button on the FOB or by itself. Reason is the alarm he has will set off on windy days. Had the car for 3 years now and no compressor problem so far (knock on wood).

regards,

Wiljo
 D3 V8 HSE Auto in Zermatt silver - driveway version gone but not forgotten, only the living room cupboard version remains  
Post #49950424th Jul 2009 7:03 pm
JR

Just had an intereting warning pop up while driving - actually, it happened three times in one day - today - the day that I got my car back from the dealer with whom I have it serviced.

The work that had to be done, included replacing warn control arm bushes - which meant the car had to be jacked up and have the wheels removed - something it seems, D3's don't seem to enjoy Confused

After they had completed the work, they sent the car in for wheel alignment.

The warning: Well it was a warning titled suspension failure - that came on after I had been stopped for a while (more than an hour).

On each occasion, I stopped, switched the car off and restarted. Each time, the problem went away until I had cause to stop for an extended period.

Anyone have similar issues... Question

Post #49983725th Jul 2009 9:17 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Could the dealer have sent it off for an alignment in extended height? (unlikely but could they, would they?)
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #49992926th Jul 2009 1:20 am
JR

caverD3 wrote:
Could the dealer have sent it off for an alignment in extended height? (unlikely but could they, would they?)

Mmm. While I'd like to believe (read desperately hope) the dealer would not, there is no doubt the alignment guy is quite capable of the 'could' part... Sad

Thanks for the tip. I'll give them a call Monday morning.

Post #49993926th Jul 2009 7:03 am
JR

Arrow The 'suspension failure' warning popped up again this morning. I took the car to my dealer with the warning still showing.

They plugged the car into a computer and found that the alignment guys had upset the steering calibration setting which evidently has an effect on the suspension sensors... Confused

The dealer re-calibrated the steering and so far so good... touch wood Wink

Post #50041827th Jul 2009 3:13 pm
frogall

Had mine thoroughly inspected at the local independent - and Censored - found a hole in the front offside airspring - it's tiny and not an immediate danger for deflation, but needs replacing soon - PM sent to TLO.

Hole found by spraying water everywhere until bubbles appear - it is where the bottom disc of the can meets the inside of the outer casing - didn't have a camera when it was on the ramp, but I'll see if there is a picture I can get later.
Post #50677013th Aug 2009 12:07 pm
mep

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Hi

My one has a tendency sometimes to drop between access and road height overnight. I made a point of contacting customer services manager LR 0870 5000 500 and they asked me to get my LR dealer to check that there was no leaks if there were none do not worry as the vehicle will sometimes settle at different heights.
As long as the warning lights red and orange go out and the vehicle regains correct height all is well which is the same advice given to me by other members.

By the way I use James Edwards Brock in Lancashire every body from dealer principle has been there for years and all know what they are talking about. Peter on the reception desk drew me a simple diagram explaining how the suspension works I have stopped worrying since.

Mel
 mep  
Post #50806216th Aug 2009 4:01 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >