Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Slightly disappointed
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
JimboD3

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Slightly disappointed

Top tailgate failed to release yesterday afternoon - had worked fine all day, but decided at 4pm that enough was enough, and it was time to stop working.

The 'handle' (switch) thing did nothing - even with the whole car unlocked. I used the magic 'emergency unlock' procedure (hold dash lock & unlock buttons down for 3 secs), that popped the top tailgate, but it still didnt open fully. I realised that I needed to 'pop' the tailgate and pull it at the same time - but my arms aren't long enough.

Tried to programme the LR button on the keyfob - but that didn't work either...........so gave up and went home.

Called LR Assist - logged the details, got put through to a 'technical support' helpdesk - very helpful, but didn't suggest anything I'd not tried already, said I need a visit from a Tech and put my call into the system.

Got a text 5 mins later saying that Tech would arrive by 18:20 (looking at the text again, it was from the AA !)

Sure enough at 18:15 up rolls an AA van............

Turns out that LR and Jaguar sold out their 'Assist' programme to the AA - and apparently made all the Assist guys and girls redundant Shocked

AA Tech didnt really have a clue, didnt know where the fuse box was (so I showed him), took the tailgate fuse out to check it, then dropped it down past the fusebox........so had to fit a new one Rolling Eyes

AA guy then decides that the problem must be with the wiring loom where it passes from the lower tailgate to the main body.........and starts looking at how to take the whole lot to bits Shocked Shocked

I 'suggested' that maybe the problem was with the top TG handle/switch - as it 'seemed' different to normal.

Eventually we got the rubber cover off the underside handle, and got the switch mech out - what a really crap design and poorly made thing that is !!!

The switch actuator (piece of metal !) was corroded and seized up with a sort of limescale-type crud - some gentle persuasion with a small screwdriver freed it up, and service was restored.

Is there anything I can do to stop this thing from seizing up again (silicone grease or WD40 maybe ?)

I'm really disappointed that LR have chosen to 'outsource' to the AA - all the technical knowledge and experience you got with a genuine LR Assist Tech has gone, no disrespect to the guy who came out to me, but they are just not up to it.

The moral of the story - don't be a lazy Censored ! I knew that I could have fixed the problem (and I pretty much did), but I was too idle to attempt, and thought that as I had the LRA cover I'd use it.
 Jim
Standard TDV6 HSE
Non-standard Td5 110 Hardtop

Club Traxide 

Post #49546214th Jul 2009 2:17 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Need to track down my local LRA guy and persuade him to set up as a indy Thumbs Up
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #49549014th Jul 2009 3:30 pm
Pelyma

England 

When I last spoke to an LRA guy he said that they were moving across to the AA, but not all wanted to. He seemed to be going across so maybe in this area we will be ok.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #49549314th Jul 2009 3:38 pm
the kergan

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

More and more things put me off extending the LR warranty when it expires later this year.

I had cause to call them out a few weeks ago and I got a grubby LR tech wearing oil stained clothes driving a D3 AND I THOUGHT HE WAS GREAT !!

He was land rover minded and knew the D3 inside out and had me sorted in 10 mins flat. The whole process from calling them to him driving off to his next job was painless and I couldnt rate the service I received high enough. Top marks.

It made me feel a bit special, a bit warm inside that owning a prestige vehicle that I have worked my bo:censored:ox off for to buy comes with a prestige back us service as well.

But I have to say now the AA have taken over the job then I will not be bothering to extend the warranty with LR, The AA might turn up in clean yellow vans with pressed clean overalls and shiny boots but most of em will know jack about the D3 or have much love for it.

It really boils down to this for me, If I want the AA to show up then I will join the AA. [/b]
 I have something to say! It's better to burn out... than to fade away!  
Post #49549914th Jul 2009 3:45 pm
SPOTTER

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

NoDo$h wrote:
Need to track down my local LRA guy and persuade him to set up as a indy Thumbs Up

Pete has Gone ND, just found out!!!
 end of an era ....... maybe a Defender when it appears.......  
Post #49550414th Jul 2009 3:58 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Big Cry
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #49550514th Jul 2009 4:02 pm
SPOTTER

found out from someone who just tried to do what you suggested!!! Whistle
Post #49551014th Jul 2009 4:09 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
CFB

United Kingdom 

As nice a service as it was I am pretty sure that LR have saved a stack of money by going the AA route, if I was running LR just now that would seem an eminently sensible option to me too.

Would it put me off buying LR....err no but I agree ref the extended warranty.
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #49551514th Jul 2009 4:14 pm
the kergan

I was talking to the tech about the AA takeover when he came out to my D3 and he was quite sure they would be taken on by the AA, it would be such a shame if they all lost their jobs. And the AA would in my opinion be foolish to let such knowledgeable techs go.
Post #49551714th Jul 2009 4:19 pm
SPOTTER

the third hand rumour is that the deal with the AA for the techs was somewhat different to the LRA one........
Post #49551814th Jul 2009 4:29 pm
JimboD3

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

The AA guy who came out to me was certain that all the LRA guys had gone............having worked on LR's and Jags would you want to get stuffed with all sorts of cacky old motors ?

I'm also in the AA, but by using the LRA route, the callout doesn't count against me - I think the AA get a bit arsey if you use them more than 3 or 4 times a year ?

And as for extending the warranty........think I'll be going down the Tesco route - at least (most) parts are covered !
 Jim
Standard TDV6 HSE
Non-standard Td5 110 Hardtop

Club Traxide 

Post #49552014th Jul 2009 4:31 pm
the kergan

Problem is though CFB is you pay for this service as part of the price of buying the car, and therefore you may now not receive the same level of service that was offered before.

As you quite rightly say LR will no doubt be saving a huge sack of cash, why would they farm it out otherwise, but they will not be dropping the cost of forecourt prices for what could end up being a budget get you out the sh*te service.

Saying that on the other side of the coin it could end up being just as good as the LR service but I aint holding my breath.
Post #49552114th Jul 2009 4:31 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 

Fair point I guess but the only time I had cause to use LRA they just sent a local recovery guy, he was Ok and fixed the fault. Wonder how many of the issues were fixed by LRA tech's that the AA would have no chance sorting? I guess those figures would make/break this argument.
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #49552614th Jul 2009 4:37 pm
ELD70

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I work for a large Company in a service industry, as long as a bloke turns up whether he knows Jack Censored or not they have fulfilled the contract requirement. I see it every day Big Cry
 Now driving BMW 330d Touring....misses D3...but not when at traffic lights Smile  
Post #49560614th Jul 2009 7:16 pm
Buckingham

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

the kergan wrote:
More and more things put me off extending the LR warranty when it expires later this year.

You can get the LR warranty with or without LR Assist...
I have it without and found a cheap recovery package and at the end of the day, all I want if it breaks down is someone to drag it to my dealer
 nil admirari

Post #49564614th Jul 2009 8:05 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >