Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Slightly disappointed
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
JamesG01

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I feel like a complete rube Embarassed . I paid for LRA without an LR extended warranty (£190), on the assumption that someone who would know the car would show up when called. Now it turns out I could have gone to the AA for about a third of that, and other recovery services for even less.

What a load of Censored

Post #49565014th Jul 2009 8:10 pm
Tawny Owl

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

The majority of the LRA techs came over to the AA and are in silver D3's. Thumbs Up

Only when it gets busy or no LR Techs available will you get an AA patrolman and most of them who will be attending will of had some LR/JAG Training to some extent.

There is always a back up too for the AA guys if needing extra help. Bow down

I would rather see a professional company like the AA turn up rather than a local garage Thumbs Up

Post #49566114th Jul 2009 8:24 pm
JamesG01

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Thanks for that clarification, Tawnyowl...I don't feel so bad, now... Smile

Post #49566514th Jul 2009 8:35 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

SPOTTER wrote:
found out from someone who just tried to do what you suggested!!! Whistle

Oooh, tell me more ??
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #49582314th Jul 2009 11:55 pm
chesters

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Has anyone got the procedure for getting into the mechanism to give it some lube for preventative maintenance, before it seizes up.

Thumbs Up
 Arctic Frost Discovery 3 TDV6 SE, Active Rear Diff, Adaptive Head Lights, Tow Pack, Ebony Leather, Roof Rails, Mantec Guard. Tasmod Stainless Sill plates. Grabber AT's. Home made mud flaps. Side Steps back on until the next time.  
Post #49585915th Jul 2009 7:55 am
the kergan

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

didnt know the LR extended warranty had a mechanism that needed some lube Whistle
 I have something to say! It's better to burn out... than to fade away!  
Post #49586915th Jul 2009 8:23 am
JimboD3

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

chesters wrote:
Has anyone got the procedure for getting into the mechanism to give it some lube for preventative maintenance, before it seizes up.

Thumbs Up

What I shall be doing is to open the top tailgate (so you're looking at the number plate lights, with the 'handle' between them), carefully pull off the rubber cover exposing the handle mechanism (metal plate), the grey plastic lump can now be removed (it has retaining lugs on either side) clean out all the crusty crud, making sure that the 'handle' part can move freely (it hinges forwards exposing the microswitch, there are two pieces of spring-steel on the back of the plate which act as a return spring). Once it's all clean and moving freely, I intend giving it all a liberal dosing of somthing.........silicone grease or WD maybe ?

Re-assembly is not quite the same as dis-assembly..........put the rubber cover on the grey plastic lump first, then push the whole assembly back into the rear (number plate light) housing - it will make sense when you look at it.
 Jim
Standard TDV6 HSE
Non-standard Td5 110 Hardtop

Club Traxide 

Post #49587415th Jul 2009 8:38 am
nigelc

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

The LRA thing really p****** me off. I thought it was worth paying the £190, because you get someone who knows their way round JLR - only time i've called then a couple of years ago, knew all about the coolant sensor problem, and the one who changed the EGR valve on my wife's leased X type also said they would carry and change by the roadside a D3 compressor.

I'll have to see if possible to cash in remaining 9 months as I can get a good deal on Green Flag with my insurance renewal

Post #49587815th Jul 2009 8:58 am
chesters

Just had it all to bits and found lots of oxidization.

Spent a bit time cleaning and then put it back together.

Here is one pic of the grey lump minus the rubber cover.

Arctic Frost Discovery 3 TDV6 SE, Active Rear Diff, Adaptive Head Lights, Tow Pack, Ebony Leather, Roof Rails, Mantec Guard. Tasmod Stainless Sill plates. Grabber AT's. Home made mud flaps. Side Steps back on until the next time.  
Post #49614415th Jul 2009 6:33 pm
JimboD3

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

@ Chesters - Thumbs Up , that's it............mine was all crudded up with that white cack - especially around the 'hinge' points for the metal flap.

What do you reckon is the best thing to spray in there to try and stop this from happening again - silicone grease maybe ?
 Jim
Standard TDV6 HSE
Non-standard Td5 110 Hardtop

Club Traxide 

Post #49630916th Jul 2009 7:41 am
chesters

I have sprayed some silicone lube in so now it will probably fall to bits knowing my luck.
Post #49631016th Jul 2009 8:04 am
DickyH

From the picture it looks to me like 'that white cack' is aluminium oxide (aluminium corrosion). Looks far more extensive than you might expect, so I'm guessing that it's directly connected to some nearby steel which is causing it to corrode sacrificially Rolling Eyes

Considering the bigger picture with reference to the whole LRA/AA thing, should it really be necessary/critical to provide these cars from new with such a service, and again for it to be so essential after warranty? It's nice to have, and I know how valuable it can be, but should it really be the case that it is absolutely necessary to give owners the piece of mind which they clearly don't get in other ways?
The whole ethos/marketing behind this brand is adventure and toughness. Surely it is supposed to be the case that providing the car is well serviced/regularly maintained, it should be capable of going most places and doing many challenging things. Many people seem to have little confidence in the machine to cope with the requirements of their daily lives without the technical support/backup provided by LRA to fall back on, let alone the confidence for a trip to rough or remote areas where this backup may not be available.
The bottom line is that they should be more reliable which would:
a) increase customer satisfaction,
b) almost certainly increase sales (as a result of a)),
c) save on warranty claim costs for LR, and
d) save on the presumably not inconsiderable cost to LR of providing LRA or equivalent cover.
It's a shame, particularly when British manufacturing industry is struggling like it is at the moment.

Post #49635916th Jul 2009 10:28 am
Pelyma

England 

DickyH whilst you are right in that if the cars were 100% reliable you wouldn't need LRA, but no manufacturer is going to achieve that. All the prestige car companies have this sort of service. What people seem to forget is that in Mondial's day if techs weren't available the local recovery agent (who quite often work with the likes of RAC) would come out to you so that hasn't changed.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #49636416th Jul 2009 10:35 am
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

I'd like to see the AA get to a couple of places where LRA reached me when I had my first D3 Whistle
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #49637316th Jul 2009 10:46 am
DingMark

Iraq 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Here in Oz, I had LRA recover literally "Back of Bourke" (ie, in the Outback but on a dual track which fortunately was a "named road"). Then they did a 580km tow (probably not possible in the UK Laughing ), 2 nights of motels, and 2 days of rental cars all due to a welded-up EPB. Seems like a pretty good insurance policy to me.
 Jim Dowell - D4 HSE TDi, 12,000 hydraulic winch & hidden winch mount, MTRs, TyreDog, Traxide 2 x aux battery system, fixed air compressor, Dolium roof rack, MitchHitch.
RIP 2005 D3 HSE V8 5 seater gold (stolen and torched) 

Post #49638516th Jul 2009 11:34 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >