Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Buying advice, V8 lpg
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Ollie GBR

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Buying advice, V8 lpg

After reading many posts on the pros of both the TDV6 and the V8, I have the opportunity of purchasing a V8 that has an lpg kit fitted to the spare wheel space.

Before I go and look at the car, can I get some advice on purchasing lpg cars from your expanse of knowledge?

What questions should I be asking?
In terms of reliability, how do lpg conversions rate?
Does it increase insurance premiums?
How often do they need servicing/checking?
Do they effect the reliabilty of the engine long term?
What about third party warranties, is lpg accepted?

I've not had a petrol engine for over a decade, (company cars), and will probably never have the opportunity again, but want to make sure I know what I'm letting myselfr in for as I'm a diesel convert and have been for many years.

Many thanks,
Ollie
 This Game of Ghosts

BAS Re-Map

1994 Land Rover Defender 110 

Post #40001410th Jan 2009 6:20 pm
Clarabella

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hello,

I run a LPG V8 D3. I might be able to help answer your questions.

You should ask who fitted the kit,what make is it and has it got a LPG Conversion Certificate from the LPGA.

BRC is one of the best kits aound, it would be nice if the D3 your looking at had this kit fitted.

The conversion will need to be health checked at 1000 miles, then it's serviced every 12500 miles or 4 years.

My insurance premium didn't change with LPG installed.

They do not effect the reliability of the engine,infact the engine will run cleaner on lpg. If the kit is running to lean or weak the D3 engine management will tell you via the engine check light so it's very safe.

If you send of your certificate to the DVLA they will class the vehicle as dual fuel. You then pay £10 and the vehicle is congestion charge exempt!!

Post #40009010th Jan 2009 9:52 pm
morleya

LPG: mainly to Clarabelle

Hi
Saw your posts on LPG: I have a Disco 3 4.4HSE: would you be able to give me the number / name of the installer you used?
Cheers
Adrian
Stoke-on-Trent

Post #49477313th Jul 2009 12:28 am
HA7225

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I really, really want a a V8, so if you don't mind, I'd love to hear how you get on with your new toy Bow down

Post #49493313th Jul 2009 12:55 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Rolling Eyes

Have you had a re-map?

Only asking as I prefer my re-mapped TDV6 to a V8.

I can say that even though I'm a V8 addict & have continously owned at least one V8 engined car for the past 20 odd years.

I think it must be the extra torque & lazy delivery of the TDV6, that imo better suits the D3.

I did enjoy my day & 150 miles in the V8 D3, but I wouldn't have swapped.

Post #49497313th Jul 2009 2:13 pm
morleya

V8

I suppose I am a little spoilt : my last car was an Audi S8: most cars disappoint after this. Many posts here comment on the speed and handling of the D3 and I agree for a large 4x4 its good, but there is no comparison with a sports saloon. they are. of course, different beasts.

I bought the V8 because
Cheaper++: 18500 last september: 2005 12000 miles
Quieter
Faster
MPG: 18
Diesel: MPG not great, no kick in acceleration above 60 MPH and at that time diesel was about 125/litre: LPG seemed a good option

However in less than 6 months
Pointing downhill (not off road: and not steep) with 1/4 full tank: stops: EMPTY: due to longitudinal tank. THIS IS MEANT TO BE A 4X4. I now have to carry a jerrycan in the back. effective range 250 miles: needs a bigger tank.
Driving uphill: stop at a junction: foot down to accelerate: no power for about 0.5 secs. this seems to be a V8 problem and can be VERY scary sepending on whats coming.
Bluetooth stopped working: battery reset required x 2
Compressor went at 20000 miles: £500
Transfer box went at 22000 miles: £1500
Sterring wheel disintegrating: black hands due to plastic
Wood pack fell off!
Stereo controls freeze: have to stop the car, switch off, restart and it may work.

I ilke this car but it surely tests my patience. Where we live it makes sense, and having tested Volvo XC90, Audi Q7, and Toureg this is the most practical. I just wish LandRover would get their act together re quality: Disco3 much better than Disco 2, but my Disco 2 died completely at 70000 miles: hardy a great comparison. I suppose I should have learned. Much as I think this could be a great car, I could not recommend LandRover to anyone.

Adrian

Post #49518613th Jul 2009 9:54 pm
mzplcg

England 

I've run LPG on quite a few cars now although not yet on my V8 D3. Anyway, a good friend of mine runs a place which does LPG conversions. So, experiences first.

Get the latest technology available. This is currently sequential injection. Avoid vapour induction and also the early non-sequential injected kits.
In terms of the best kits, I have experience of 4 types, Tartarini, Landi-Renzo, Prins & BRC. I would say the Tartarini or Landi kits are about the best suited to a D3 but you need the dual vapouriser kits.
Get the proper dedicated D3 gas tank which goes in the spare wheel space. I think it's a dutch tank and holds about 72 litres of gas (useable). All LPG chaps will have access to buy them. Avoid single hole tanks though as the safety valve is too small to be properly safe.

On all the cars I ran with LPG I never had insurance issues but you MUST have a pukka installation certificate or you will never get insured.

Performance is different. BHP down by about 5% and torque is up by about 15% as an average. Also the engine will idle more smoothly and more quietly. It will not be so keen to rev to the red line though.

Servicing. As with all things mechanical it will require attention from time to time, even if only to adjust the map as the engine wears. Some systems require the heavy ends to be drained off as well. Engine oil will stay cleaner for longer as the fuel is cleaner. You may require a different temperature of spark plug to be fitted as well. This is 105 octane and burns at a different temperature to petrol.

But, from having used 3 different installers I would make the point of finding a good one. 90 percent of the way a LPG system performs is down to the quality of the installation. There is a lot of wiring which should all be soldered, particularly in a 4x4 which will likely see muck & water. the tank should be fitted at correct orientation so the pick up is actually at the bottom - don't laugh, i've seen some wrong-uns. Filler should be the proper flexible hose and bayonet valve system, not the 8mm copper pipe one or fill-ups wiill take forever. and so on.

But the most pleasing part of it all is the cost. Works out at about half the cost of petrol and about 75% of the cost of diesel. the only downside for me is range. On 72 litres you will be lucky to get 240 miles. Less if towing a tintent. My local garage sells LPG and it's only 1 mile from the house which helps a lot but if you have any sort of a journey to fill up it will become a royal PITA with having to plan military style.

Hope this helps.

Post #49626515th Jul 2009 10:45 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >