Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

disco for sale scam.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
bertiemje

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3
disco for sale scam.

hi. i just got our new (to us) disco 3 and what a great car it is. we picked it up on Sunday but coming to own one was not an easy task.

we looked in the normal places landy mags, ebay and auto trader. we found one on auto trader that was to good to be true. 55 plate hse for about £10500. we got on the phone (mob number only) and arranged to view it with a very genuine sounding guy. we drove 50 miles to see it and on arrival there was some one else looking around it. any way we waited our turn looked around and it seamed a good buy. hpi checked it all OK. said we wanted it so we handed over £300 quid.

when i told my bro about it he told me about people cloning cars so i decided to look in to it a bit and found a news paper article about it. a lot of things set alarms ringing. the gang doing it was from leicester and the car was in Coventry, the service book was stamped oak-lands land rover which does not exist and a few other things.

after reading this i tried to get in touch with the guy to check some things with him but could not get through. when i finally did he denied any knowledge of it and hung up.

i knew i had been done so i called the police. gave them 2 phone numbers, 2 names, 2 addresses the car reg the lot. their answer was that although the guy had taken my money and driving a stolen and cloned car this was not something for them to sort out. what they said i should do is contact a solicitor and get them to write a letter to each name and to each address. 4 letters in total that would prob cost a lot more than the £300 i might get back. and the police wonder why people have no faith in them.

moral of the story. if it looks to good to be true then it prob is. please don't fall for it like we did. it upset my wife so much she said she didn't want a disco at all and took me along time to talk her into re thinking about it.

news paper report http://www.halifaxcourier.co.uk/news/Garag...5062704.jp

Post #48016911th Jun 2009 9:47 pm
paulJ1

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Bummer........ sorry to hear that mate. What did you get in the end (age & Spec)?

Where in Northampton are you then ? there are two of us on Grange Park (just of J15 of M1), we should catch a beer sometime.

You tried Hartwells yet ???? I'll reserve comment.

Welcome to your DISCO.
 Got our Disco... Love it.....  
Post #48017411th Jun 2009 10:01 pm
NJF

And shame on the police. IMHO you reported a crime and they refused to investigate, fobbing you off with stories about getting your solicitor to write to the scumbag, as if it was purely a civil matter, not a crime, and not likely to catch out some other poor sod after you withdrew to nurse your loss. Bol|ock$ to them all. Wasters. Evil or Very Mad

Post #48017611th Jun 2009 10:05 pm
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

I see a complaint to the police coming on, there job is also crime prevention and you have given them a lot of useful info to stop it. I saw the same ad in the autotrader twice and reported it to them saying it was too cheap to be legit, to be fair they removed it both times.

To be honest if it is too cheap there is a reason, a dealer would pay more for that car, so why would somebody try to sell it privately.

Can't understand the police attitude, the money was effectively stolen from you by fraud. Next they will be saying that if you get mugged you have to get your solicitor to right a letter. I normally like to support the police, but the only message this sends to the criminals is to just carry on as nobody can be bothered to stop you.

Funny how they can spend a lot of resources chasing you for a speeding ticket if you don't pay.

Post #48018111th Jun 2009 10:17 pm
bigD

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

just reading this post brings back so many memerys
of me and the wife looking at so many clones and the
police doing fak all about it oh and so many people on this site
taking the Censored saying this kind of thing doesent happen yeh right

sorry to here wot has happened to you but it just proves a point
that its still going on and nothing being done about it

take a look at my previous posts on it its quite a story

Post #48019211th Jun 2009 10:35 pm
paulJ1

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Personally i preffer ebay for purchases, at least you can see some history (assuming its not all small purchases).

Moral of the story is you have to check all details

Receipts for Work & Purchase
Confirm service History
Ask for ID
Check Number plates
HPI Check
Call previous owner

The thing I did when I purchased blind off ebay was asked for him to scan the V5 and email it to me, and accompany hime to his bank when I paid, only hand over cash when in his bank, and he paid it in.

Buyer beware !!

Still a bummer though mate, meet up and I'll shout you and your missus a beer !

Finally its a lesson to us all ! Just watch real Hustle on BBC3 !
 Got our Disco... Love it.....  
Post #48019711th Jun 2009 10:48 pm
bertiemje

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

thanks for all your input. we got a 05 hse for £ 16250 in the end. we got the price down by £500 so we now look at it as getting our £300 back and £200 off the car. we are in rushden.

Post #48022011th Jun 2009 11:13 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Let me know when you guys are going for that Beer, I'll come downand see me folks Mr. Green

Family are all over Northampton/Wootton Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #48022311th Jun 2009 11:18 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >